• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Are people without any social support less likely to get benefits?

N

nightmare57

I have read here and other online advice forums that people are routinely denied benefits if they don't have professional representation to accompany them to their medical appointments. These are people with very serious mental health conditions such as Bipolar and Schizophrenia but it seems that mental health services for these people is nonexistent, What happened to CPN's and Social workers? Why is it time limited support and any sign of becoming well means that you don't need that support anymore and you are ditched and left to get on with things alone.. Until you're in crisis again.

Do you think people without mental health services and representation are more likely to be denied benefits than people who have representation?

Did you manage to get benefits for you MH condition without MH support networks?

S

stuart

I haven't had a CPN or seen a psychiatrist for almost 4 years, and have had no support worker for 3.

I have continued to receive DLA and be in the support group of ESA throughout that time.

I've no doubt the DWP have used it as an excuse to reduce/deny benefits in some cases though.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i receive dla and esa but worry what will happen if they're reviewed, i haven't the ability or the support to handle a complex beurocracy, the transfer to esa i got the disability centre to help, since closed, i got a form from rethink were your gp meets the requirements and my gp filled it up, more importantly and that cinched it i had done research and that rule that your a danger in the workplace i apppealed to by saying the only way i could be fit for work is to come off drugs and the gp has said i could be violent

theres now the deserving poor who've been sectioned have social workers and cpns and the undeserving poor who need to be persecuted to encourage work

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as people may know they've been looking at my savings, bank payment today is 20 pounds down or 10 a week, they haven't yet written to me, can live with that, could be worse, though last time i had a support worker and i wonder if not having a support worker has contributed

SarahD

SarahD

I have been told - don't know if it is true for all areas - that the MH team will help people with benefits assessments even if they have been discharged, probably because they don't want them relapsing and back on their books. Think some do realise how devastating all the assessments etc are for us. Some MH teams have special benefits adviser attached.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I have been told - don't know if it is true for all areas - that the MH team will help people with benefits assessments even if they have been discharged, probably because they don't want them relapsing and back on their books. Think some do realise how devastating all the assessments etc are for us. Some MH teams have special benefits adviser attached.
not sure depends on their resources cpu i think tried and was turned away, trying not to worry some of the things on the web, tell a friend you can find anything on the web, it's not accurate, according to some on the net having taken meds for 40yrs i should be dead or seriously paralised

remember been diagnosed hebephrenic schitzoprenia, it said in the dictionary an inevitable deteriation into complete insanity, maybe thats happened

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
just phoned brondesbury road mental health they say i can ask the dwp to contact them suspect they're quite aware that i'd need help filling in the forms something they avoided offering

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N I’ve been awarded high mob - high care until 2025. Without face to face. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
D Placed in ESA Support Group WITHOUT assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
ScaredCat Volunteering can be bad for mental health without the right welfare support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
I Emergency housing without an income Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
apple No working tax credits for part-time worker without dependents if you're not eligible for PIP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
S Man 'forced to work without pay' for 13 years Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F Personal Independence Payments: a failing system is trapping disabled people without benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
I Esa Appeal Monday going ahead without Esa50 evidence Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
I Fit for Work without Medical or processing of ESA50 Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
Artmuzz I've been put on WRAG without assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 14
D Occupational Health diagnosed me as "psychologically unwell" without assessment. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
mckeo5514 esa without medical Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
R social housing Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
S Social Fund Loan Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
N Why do social services get involved if you drop out of school at 17 and you live in London? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Poopy Doll Social Security Disability Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
cpuusage Social Security Disability Resource Center (American) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
N Social worker reluctant to fill in Council housing application form. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Fluffymum Social services, split personality Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
R Chances of Social Housing/Council Housing Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
Lincoln1990 US Social Security Disability and getting off o it Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Anime-Alchemy I want to get into social care? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
F It's social housing – so why are the needy locked out? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
U Social Housing Reform Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
U Social Housing Reform Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
S No family support, no one wants to see me do well in life Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
S Care and support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
L ESA Support group - no assessment - stunned! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Tawny ESA support group and wrag group info Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
D ESA Support Group! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
N Non state financial support for mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
R Can I go to college whilst in the ESA support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
J Mandatory ReConsideration for WRAG to Support Group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
P HELP!! dont know if im in WRAG or support group. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
A ESA Support Group - any interviews necessary Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
I Wrag to support group ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Artmuzz PIP and ESA support group enquiry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Artmuzz Worried about letter from support worker for PIP tribunal Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
Kerome Various support funds Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
J ESA Mortgage Interest Support Ending in April for All Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
F ESA support group to Universal credit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
K Support group and volunteering Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
M Will I get support with housing. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Heart_moon Receiving E.S.A. support group Benefits - but not unwell enough to get P.I.P. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
Tabitha Moving voluntarily from ESA support group to work-related activity group before April? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
mischief Help & Support with PIP Claims (Video No 1) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Nikita Petition started against the proposals to send support group disabled to work please sign and get everyone you know to sign it. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
cpuusage Ministers set to force work-related activity on everyone in ESA support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 49
LORD BURT Employment and Support Allowance: Re-tests axed for chronically ill claimants Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 23
S ESA Support Group and Need Advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1