are people losing their humanity?

T

telemetry9

I've been thinking lately. Are people losing their humanity? Those who work in the NHS and those who work with people with mental illness. Tutors in college and people in general seem to be so uncaring to me. I've had a few bad experiences recently and it struck me that as society becomes more obsessed with money and "status" and materialism are people losing their humanity and empathy?

I look at the news and all I hear about is money and more money and how money falls and rises. i never hear about people and the reality of people's lives. It is as if money has become a God above everything else. People don't have illnesses anymore they are simply responsible for their own predicaments according to the press. Billions is given to bankers who squandered and wasted what was given to them yet the sick and disabled are queried like criminals by the government and the new "evaluations" of disability.

I feel very despondent about what is happening and I just want to avoid people in general as I don't think I can take the pain of superficiality and judgment anymore. I can't take the sleekit people who pretend to help me whilst all the time they are undermining me for their own self interest and lack of understanding that I have an illness.

I wonder if anyone has noticed this downward spiral in humanity and I am holding on to the thin remembrance that there are good people and good strangers out there who are aware of what is going on in society.

I am afraid of the growing ignorance and intolerance that seems to be happening to the UK. When did all this begin and with who? Am I wrong? Do you agree or do you think I'm just ill with depression - do you even care?

jackshepard

jackshepard

Don't worry, you're not the only one who noticed this, and unfortunately it's not only in the UK. I noticed it a while ago, and the best proof of it is French president Nicolas Sarkozy's New year speech for 2009. It used to be "I think to all the ill people, those who can't be in their families, blah blah". This year, it was all about "the crisis/money/banks, etc". He just told a few words for the French soldiers, and that's all.

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTqwj1GoUWw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTqwj1GoUWw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Q

quality factor

Community Spirit

Although I'm not an old granny I have lived long enough to be aware of the lack of 'community spirit' nowadays. I can remember a time when all the neighbours chatted over the fence and the kids played safely together in the street. There were times when you could even leave your doors unlocked with no fear of intruders. I can clearly recall bonfire night when all the street gathered around the bonfire to set fireworks off and share hot drinks ,treacle toffee and hot dogs....fond memories.
Why has this mostly disappeared? Society in general has changed so much, social trends have and still are changing.
Now most people are only concerned with looking after 'Number 1'. Community spirit as I once knew it has all but disappeared. Those lucky enough to have a job leave their homes in the morning and return in the evening for days on end without ever noticing their neighbours.
I agree, the world in general in it's so called progression has gone terribly materialistic, most folks are out only for themselves. This state is being unfortunately being passed on to the young generation. Kids are not satisfied unless they have the latest gear whether it be clothes or gadgets. There is more evidence of physical and mental abuse not only in the community but world-wide.
I suffer from severe depression in bouts which come and go, and as I sit trying to motivate myself I think that this lack of community spirit is highlighted. Nobody around to talk to and those that are,. all keep themslves to themselves. In particular, once it gets out that you suffer from mental illness, people tend to shy away from you.
'STOP THE WORLD, I WANT TO GET OFF'. :scared:

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Yes. People are losing their humanity. And those that cling to theirs wonder if they'd also be better off without it....

J

jamesdean

The world is just upside down at the moment, i'm sure it will sort it self out soon enough.

S

saffron

Oh god yes, it just seems that most people just do not care about anything anymore, including other people,
People dont value their jobs, like they used to, but then their bosses do not value them anymore and are only interested in making targets.

People in general feel let down by society and that must edge them towards thinking 'fu8k everyone, you have to look after yourself,cos no-one else will'

the Law is a real ass also, crime unfortunately in this day does pay

I have my future planned, when I am 70 and scrimping on little or no money, I am going to stop paying my overpriced council tax and get thrown into jail, where I will then get 3 meals a day, lots of people to talk to, activites to do and a warm bed.

People are so wrapped up in their own problems, they have little or no time to consider the needs of others, But I dont think this is a purely selfish act, it just life in general is very hard at the moment.

S

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I have my future planned, when I am 70 and scrimping on little or no money, I am going to stop paying my overpriced council tax and get thrown into jail, where I will then get 3 meals a day, lots of people to talk to, activites to do and a warm bed.

He he he!:p

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I've found out the hard way that it's a "throw-away" society. That includes people. I've never had thick enough skin so I'm devastated. Humanity is becoming obsolete. My 2 cents.

E

eternaljourney

humanity

'So many Gods, so many creeds
So many paths that wind and wind
While just the act of being kind
Is all the sad world needs'
Ella Wheeler Wilcox, American writer and poet.

T

telemetry9

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your great replies as this is something that has really struck me over the past couple of months. Going to my local depression group it seems so many of the people there have bad or poor experiences with the NHS new approach to those with depression. I keep waiting for good news to come around but my own experiences are pretty negative.

Despite being at college with learning support I discovered that certain tutor's had little or no regard for me and found myself standing up to someone who felt they could bully and intimidate me. Unfortunately my self defence created its own problems in terms of my assignments and the grades he was giving me. In the end I knew I had to leave for my own mental health.

I know I am very far from perfect myself and tend to be isolated because of my illness. But I try to hold onto my humanity. I'm very blessed in that my sister and my best friend and my neice are very kind to me. I'm not religious but I am Christian and my faith helps me enormously when everything seems to be disintegrating.

I'm from Scotland and I grew up with a strong sense of caring and being respectful to your fellow human beings - although we had a lot of heartache and a lot of poverty. We somehow managed to remain intact human beings. I'm very proud to be British and know what that means and value it enormously.

I think it would be such a tragedy if we lost that sense of caring for the underdog that so defined who we are in Britain. It seems like it would always be money that would change that aspect of who we are in a very subtle and insidious way.

It was lovely to hear your views and I think this thread will go on for while yet. It's also reassuring to hear that I'm not alone in realizing what is happening in the world today. That money and materialism have grown way beyond the true value of their importance and that humanity and empathy are disapearing as a result of this obsession.

B

binthair

I think part of the problem may be that some people do not seem to know how to converse or have manners. Like anything though I guess it helps if you have something in common.

The last 3 locations we moved to we got on really well with our neighbours and I think it was a mixture of people being warm and friendly and everyone having children.

I always try and treat people with courtesy and good manners and sometimes people open up and smile at you (maybe they think I’m an alien).

What I can’t stand is plain bad manners and it’s not just children or young adults. I find it just as bad with older people. Just imagine how these people are bringing up their children.

My pet hate is when you hold a door open for someone and then they just walk through make no attempt to hold the door and totally ignore you as though that is your role in life.

Grrrrr…
:mad:

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Compassion & Empathy

I agree too, people do seem to be losing their humanity, compassion and empathy. Its become rather a dog eat dog world. It seemed to stem from around the Thatcher years IMHO.

I've had a direct hit on this one this week. my dad is really depressed, even suicidal and came to me to talk and get some support. Which I felt really honoured that he did. Its hard to show vulnerability.

There were a couple of issues, old age of course, but also MONEY. He has lots of it, more than anyone else I know. he earnt it, started of down the pits coal mining and worked his way up in life. He has made Money his God........ so now it is worth about 1/3 less than it was six months ago he feels his "god" has let him down - it seems to me, and he agreed.

He has for all his life index linked his self esteem to how much money he has. De facto his self esteem is less every day as his money depreciates (less interest and lower share prices on investments because of this recession).

Its really really sad. But I hope, having talked it over with him, that he has now got a grip on where he is going wrong. Basing his self esteem on what he has got rather than who he is or what he does is hurting him.

Rudeness! I agree! Its intolerable!!!

As society gets less well mannered I find myself hitting back by being even more well mannered. Its my stand. I know all my local shop keepers by name, open doors for old ladies again, just smile sometimes at people and say "good morning" as people used to do.

They sometimes look at me as if I am mad, but I wont stop!

I met a very rude old lady (94) at Xmas. I was doing vol work and she was on a Xmas break at the centre.....
The worst thing other than her being totally disagreeable, was the glares she liked to do - total glaring eye contact! Really bad habit. So I did it back, but smiled.

And all day I was really really sweet to her. Despite that when I said "good morning, how are you?" she retorted "I wish you wouldnt keep asking me that , AT MY AGE (her favourite put down) one is never going to have a good day".

Tra-la-la!

In truth I wanted to sneak into her room and make her an apple pie bed..... but I didnt!

My great teacher, Madame Arcier had a remedy for this whole thing it was:

Dont Connect with Negativity.

The world is full of it, but we each have a personal choice in choosing NOT to connect with it.

She was a wise woman.

Love and light to all,

cloudberry

S

saffron

Cloud
oh our poor dad, he must feel so demorisilsed by the whole thing, to think that he work bloody hard for his money just to have it taken away again. I can empathise with him.
I always think whats the bloody point of working my fingers to the bone to make an honest living for this bloody countries government to try and snatch everything they can back.
At the end of the day i still have nothing to show for what I have done or achieved, but at the same time Im believing that I am actually better off, at least I have nothing for them to take. unfortunately there is no respect or gratitude for the hard worker and common man. its a very materialisitic world out there.
So much for labour, (werent they supposed to be for the working class?) humph. what a bunch of wan8ers they all are,
dont even get me onto thatcher, I would go on for ever.
S

L

Lyra

Founding Member
I agree - even in so called caring professions they no longer seem to care. Its as though people now come at the bottom of a list of getting promotion, keeping to government targets, saving money etc
Several of us that go to service user groups here have even been refused help when very suicidal because we have had our set number of sessions and they musn't run up a waiting lists by giving us more care or it will effect their jobs.

T

thegct

I completely agree!
The attitudes of doctors and the way they treat us has changed dramatically.
My old doctor who has just retired was in the job for what i call 'the right reasons', he was there to care for his patients, and did a bloody good job of it.
Where as the new guy, strikes me as a 'its a dream title that pays well too' sort.
Because I'm 18 and on ESA I'm looked at and treated like a workshy layabout, he also gives off the vibe that he disbelieves every word i say.
So yes, people have changed for the worse, and it's going to have serious knock-on effects to other people.

B

bluetenrec

hey

yeh, i feel that people are losing their humanity too.

I agree with Lyra, in that i think people who are supposed to care dont seem to anymore.

I have had a few experiences with professionals that have made me think twice about talking to or trusting anybody now. There are some people in the mental health professions that are definately in the wrong job, cos they have not only ruined my confidence but other people have had bad experiences with them too.

people should think about more than just the money they get from being a consultant or similar.

:mad:

Sorry, rant over

C

cathchest1

people losing there humanity

hi there Im a new member just joined the site I totaly agree with everything and other members have said Ive also noticed the change in people whether its people who live near you or whether its docters and socail workers Ive sufferd from depression since my early teens from the result of bullying Ive hoped to find comfort and support from docters and socail workers but instead I find the opposite Ive tended the county hospital twice and both times I recieved no help no therapy or understanding of what I might be going through instead I got talcked down too like I was nothing just a piece of trash of the streets the second time I tended the county hospital I was supposed to be tending for therapy for my ocd obbsessive compulsive disorder instead the docter was really harsh with me started saying that everything was my fault it was my fault I was bullied and that I had no friends even though they new the whole story and I had to sit there and taycke more abuse from the docter having to sit and listen being called a crybaby and a cowerd just becouse I wouldent stoop to the bullys level I was left feeling really hurt and shocked to hear a docter talck like that she was supposed to be there to offer me help and support and understanding instead I was treated like I was a worthless tramp thats how she made me feel and how I still feel even every person you meet in the street they here your story and they look at you like they have no heart theres no emotion there at all I sometimes feel that people are losing there human side and becomeing more like machines there turning into something that has no feeling no emotion there all becoming empty shells and its true about nieghbours nobody is nieghbourly anymore where I live nobody talcks to me everybody ignores me like Im invisible and dont exist I just cant understand whats happend to people nobody will help anyone out these days wont be there for you or be a freind I alwayse remember as a youngster we often used to visit our nieghbours and over the years things have changed just cant understand it its true about money these days money is more important than people I alwayse say that now from kate