Are PD illnesses?

A

Azelka

My psychologist said personality disorders weren't mental illnesses and that they were just a way of being.. Is she right?

nomask

nomask

Well, I don't know that they'd have the word disorder in them if they weren't, so that's odd? They're in the DSM-5 and all. Symptoms are believed to be learned behaviors by some, maybe that's what she's referring to? Idk, some psychologists have interesting opinions.

F

forumuser23

My psychologist said personality disorders weren't mental illnesses and that they were just a way of being.. Is she right?
i would say it depends on the particular individual, since PDs are very broad, you would need to be more specific on what is being talked about. that being said, i personally believe that PDs like Borderline PD isn't actually a PD, but more of a "trauma" problem.

Now, i am basing that off people i've met in real life with the condition, and they really did not have the core aspects of what really makes someone have a PD, which is why i do not place them in the PD category. their issues revolve more or less one thing in particular, but their outward presentation, perception and understanding is the same as typical people.

Mind you, i have severe trauma myself and emotional abuse and disturbances up to this point, however, that is not a cause to why i am the way i am or why i always was the way i was, considering that the way that i started being or always was, was well, a gradual thing, relative to development without any particular traumatic experiences that in other words would cause me to first be like that, so no, Personality disorders, at least the one i have which i believe is actually a REAL personality disorder which is Schizotypal PD and covert narcissism ARE indeed real PDs, but the pseudo ones like Borderline, avoidant, and espicially schizoid PD, arent. It isn't suprising why the DSM wanted to remove schizoid PD, on the other end, self diagnosed "schizoids" usher out the same, which is kind of ironic because one would believe since they would deny it being a PD, that it should constitute to them having one, but well...that's just silly, because that belief is for neurotypicals.

now of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, i feel like the PD category has been overpathologized, in other words, there really should only one PD and the severity, particular qualitative severity of impairment to quality of life and functioning would be determined by the specific unique combination of traits that person is built of. and yes, it isn't rocket science to determine how much a person suffers and how difficult one's life is if you factor in things in the right way and understanding these variables have everything to do with quality of life and functioning.

take for example ego strength, most people get misdiagnosed with a PD and have high ego strength, when in fact, the opposite should be true, same with openness to experience which in many respects has to do with tolerating other people, whether it's their viewpoints, personality, etc, yet, most people are given a label of one of these when all it's doing is creating a logical fallacy. people who truly have a PD do not have high ego strength, not in any circumstance. people with PDs have PDs because of being inferior. You can call donald trump for example a narcissist, but he doesn't suffer from Narcissistic PD, it doesn't matter if he is as unstable / or unfit as he looks.

you can look at PDs like this, it's like comparing a cheap chinese made car vs a german sports car that is more durable, and hence, more superior. you aren't gonna say that the chinese car is traumatized for being the way it is, for not being able to adapt or compete with the german car, because it's already functioning at it's highest level or baseline functioning. you could perhaps inject nitrous oxide into the chinese car, the nitrous oxide being the typical psychiatric medication, but what little help you can offers is not enough to outweigh the negatives, so you end up blowing up the car, ( more harm than good ) for just a trivial / unrealistic / impractical improvement.

so as someone with a PD myself ( diagnosed with schizotypal PD and major depression ). i struggle just to exist on a daily basis, and of course, i have more than just the two i've mentioned, but it's unclear what i really suffer from and what medicines there are out there to help me, and i've been harmed enough by past psychiatrist medications. i've even be given the schizoaffective label from a previous psychiatrist, who insisted on prescribing an antipsychotic, which i took one type before that fucked me up so bad which was called latuda, on the third night, i could not take it anymore as i was lying in bed with severe agitation, distress, i developed convulsions, crying spells, difficulty breathing, my head was jerking back and forth, and was rushed to the hospital where i had to just lay there for a few hours as i was given ativan and some anti nauseau and the only thing i was told was i had to wait for the latuda to leave my system, the next few days i was very brain dead, and then after that, i eventually returned to a reasonable brain chemistry.

H

harsh-reality

labels ….

I don't see why if they give a person a pd label and then say its not a health condition - by giving it a name then surely its a diagnosed health issue surely

I think some people given this label because medical staff perhaps struggle to determine what a particular patient is or is not presenting

one psych said to me we try not label people these days..

pd s are very broad - yes some can outwardly seem like behaviourial issues that could be managed so perhaps a psychologist who studies behaviour more likely say that than a psychiatrist

whatever we all labelled though etc I don't care what they call it as long as treatment and support results in a happier less stressful existence then myself personally I could not care less what label I am given etc

H

harsh-reality

I look back when I was younger daffy and if only I had had the relaxed confidence to go with my looks back then but I spent my 20 s and 30 s in permanent fear and feelings of I am not good enough for anyone at all so outwardly I looked ok but on the inside I was a mess but I totally get this re your nose and in particular how its look came about

J

Jules5

I think everyone has some kind of PD. I have had so much trauma in my life I close it off by being a comic. They say most comedians have had severe trauma in their past.

L

LittleMissNameless

"A mental disorder, is a behavioral or mental pattern that causes significant distress or impairment of personal functioning"
PD's cause impairment in a variety of ways, in my opinion very often its in response to trauma. plus its important to remember atleast in the case of BPD psychiatric comorbidity is exceptionally high.

Jef Costello

Jef Costello

It is a way of being. But it's also an illness. There are symptoms and suffering. Diagnosed AvPD here.

I also consider autism and ADHD illnesses, although they're more classed as disabilities. I'm diagnosed with both along with other stuff and I truly wish that I didn't have either.