• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are our thoughts private?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Can other people read our/your mind?

Is the brains thoughts private?

------------------------ my 2 cents ------------------------

Sometimes it stresses me out when thinking people can read my mind.
I literally block my mind and only allow silent thoughts. Being doing this for years now. :sorry:

Peaceful

Peaceful

Answer to question brat - in a word - Yes - absolutely private.

Second guessing what others are thinking - 99 times out of 100 - if you yourself asked that person for clarification of their thoughts - your answer is extremely unlikely to be what you are guessing them to be.

And works vice versa too.

If you worried unduly about others thoughts way too much Brat - sign of paranoia to a degree I guess - ie symptom of your condition - if that the case - me myself would make a medical appointment ie maybe need stronger or different meds.

If simply a quizzical interest then ok as said the answer is Yes - our thoughts are very very much private - unless we trust to disclose them to others.

Mind reading is an impossibility most thankfully.

:)

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When I am psychotic I think God and the Devil can read my mind and it really bothers me. My thoughts will never send me to hell but nor will they gain me entrance into heaven :unsure: bit like my actions really.

If it were just random people I believed could read my thoughts I wouldn't give a fuck!! but that's just me :)

XXXX

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

My p-doc has discharged me, and regular doc does not seem bothered. I am a bit scared to try another med, but it could be the answer.

Last edited:
Eldritch

Eldritch

I feel like if someone could read your thoughts, they would tell you. But i sometimes have trouble believing this. Sometimes i try screaming in my thoughts or thinking horrible things in public, and no one ever looks scared so they must not have heard it!!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Sometimes it feels so convincing.

U

UMPALUMPA

I am not sure if people can read our thoughts, but I avoid eye contact because I worry about people reading my thoughts and I feel my thoughts are exposed with eye contact.

Deep down I dont think people can read our thoughts but my eye contact issues are just an obsessed fear of it instead.

Good luck if you try another Medication Brat.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Blueflames, yes I do the same, surely god can read my mind and I pull towards the devil, he knows I have done bad and knows I am evil.

Kerome

Kerome

I don't think humans can read your thoughts, I did a lot of research and real thought reading looks like it just doesn't happen. So you can put your mind at rest about random strangers on the street being able to do this, that would just be delusion if it feels like that.

A gifted spiritual healer might be able to read your aura and tell a few things about you. Someone who is emotionally close to you might pick up on important things happening to you, just intuitively knowing you're in trouble.

In terms of spirit beings, when you're in certain sensitive states you could encounter one and they might read you. But that's kind of what they do, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've rarely seen or heard of this having bad consequences, except when the person in question initiated a long encounter themselves and had exceptionally bad judgment. God and the devil, well, I don't believe in them.

BT, if you try a new medication, I hope it works out for you.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey Brat

I would say that things sound like they are getting worse for you at times?

I don't know about meds but I definitely think you should go and see your psych again? If your doctor doesn't seem bothered, go and see another one maybe

I am sure you would benefit from to support atm xxx

L

lostminty

Sorry, haven't read this thread well.

I used to be quite occupied by this topic.
I find that when we're anxious we become quite observant. Anxiety to me is a sense of needing to act but not having enough clues to act on. Observing becomes habitual as an anxious person, it plays in well because of the difficultly in engaging when anxious, I feel I don't know what to say and am often still trying to relate what I just heard to the bigger picture. Anxious to me is a state of not letting go effectively. Kind of like holding on to a moment. Controlling the breath by holding it seems to encourage this...never releasing the stresses. Another problem is that my anxiety leaves me wanting to be invisible...an observer in many ways. I try to control my body language. I find that if I don't react the way I want to it affects me more later. The affect comes through most strongly in my thoughts. My thoughts start to relate to what I previously experienced.

Now, with that in mind. Most experiences are fairly story like. Sentences have a beginning, middle and end. There are structures in langauge (grammar) that are obvious (particulary for the observant). We're also great pattern matchers, even if we ignore a lot of it because its boring or what ever. I find that anxiety can heat up the expectations of thoughts and associations.

So, your thoughts are reacting to things you opressed, you're so vigiliant that you can see the nature of language and you're so anxious that you REALLY want answers. Well, funny enough those things combined will give you answers. Just not the ones you want.

TL:DR
In that state I start to feel like my thoughts are read. I think the reality is that I'm so wound up I feel the need for release, my thoughts are all reflections of what people around me are saying, my thoughts run at a similar speed to their conversation and by the nature of language we both came to the same conclusion.

You didn't have those thoughts, you judged them and it was accurate but you chose to bury it in the subconcious where it came back later anyway.

SarahD

SarahD

I think people can read my thoughts sometimes.

Or maybe I sometimes think people can read my thoughts.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

People have often replied to what I've thought,
When I struggle to get the words put.