Are My Voices Caused by Illness or Upbringing?

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

Just some thoughts I was having. Maybe someone can provide some insight or maybe someone has been wondering the same things. I don't know...

Are my voices a part of my illness or a product of my upbringing? I wonder about this a lot. I was treated very badly as a kid, and I was often left alone for long periods of time, even locked in closets at times. I had an imaginary friend when I was little. Her name was Emily. Now, I hear Emily's voice in my head, only now she's all grown up. Anyway, I often wonder if I hear voices because I am mentally ill or if I hear voices because I was so alone growing up. I started self harming at 13, and I started hearing voices at 14. A family member of mine has this theory that I developed voices in an attempt to cope with my depression and loneliness and that my voices could help me stop self harming. And yeah, some of my voices are good and tell me not to harm myself, but I also hear very, very bad voices that tell me to hurt or kill myself. So I'm not entirely sure about voices as a coping mechanism. Anyway, I just wonder about that a lot. Why do I hear voices? Was it caused by the way I was raised or is it simply due to my mental illness? Would I hear voices if I wasn't raised the way I was? If I was raised in a loving home where I wasn't abused, would I still hear them? I guess it's impossible to know, but that doesn't stop me from wondering about it.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I often have similar thoughts. If my childhood was better would I have grown up into a successful person without all my mental problems? Would I not have gotten a mental illness? I really wonder. But then I remember that I wasn't quite normal before the bad childhood stuff started. Maybe this made me more weak and less able to cope when the trauma started. Maybe I was already susceptible to someday possibly have a mental illness, then when the trauma started it changed the possibility into a probability. I agree with you. There isn't really any answer to the questions. Nature vs. Nurture. I guess for some it might be more one than the other, and for others maybe it is a mixture of both.

R

Rebeca1

Mine are space ghosts and it really is paranormal with me. Please read how to survive after death in hearing voices forum for more insight to me if you wish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Hearing Voices Forum 2
H Hearing Voices Forum 5
B Hearing Voices Forum 6
burt tomato Hearing Voices Forum 15
B Hearing Voices Forum 2