• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are more people with mental illness single and poor?

R

rawlinsc

Very few people or professions are capable of making the leap of accommodations that allow persons with challenges to succeed.
That's one of my problems. I want to be a teacher or professor but I need accommodations. I cant stand in front of a classroom with my severe flat feet. I need to sit. I also have a sleep disorder which might be delayed phase sleep disorder which prevents me from getting up at 6am to become a teacher. I would have to work a later shift.

R

rawlinsc

That's one of my problems. I want to be a teacher or professor but I need accommodations. I cant stand in front of a classroom with my severe flat feet. I need to sit. I also have a sleep disorder which might be delayed phase sleep disorder which prevents me from getting up at 6am to become a teacher. I would have to work a later shift.
I also think the sleep disorder is mental health related due to racing thoughts from bipolar or anxiety.

N

Nukelavee

My income puts me below th poverty level here in Canada, but... I own my home outright, and have no debts. And, I don't want much in the way of material goods. I get by, with help from my family and part time work, or doing freelance writing/art/design.
treatment often requiring a lot of will and commitment from people that have neither because of their very condition
Yeah, it's like a catch 22. you have to be well enough to recognize the value in various treatments/therapies, and have the will to work at them.

It's the people who avoid treatment, or who never get the option, that tend to create the stigma.

At the same time - I see lots of people with mental health issues in relationships.

R

rawlinsc

I know several wealthy people that's bipolar some are single. But money doesn't buy happiness.

[/QUOTE ] I do not know if money buys happiness but I think a lack of money brings misery. I get stress and anxiety from being in debt.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I'm single and poor. I had a business that I couldn't manage and girldfriends can't deal with me so yeah it say its harder for folk like us.

A

always thirsty

Stigma makes it pointless to live it up doesn't it, won't even let you brush the floor near a well paid job with schizophrenia, and bipolar is a polished turd of a term - then there's the break downs. Unless you have money in the blood it ain't gonna happen. Been married, grass is never greener for sure...shrinks happy, keeps them in business allowing the N word to reign supreme in mental health
i agree with the bipolar thing. and this isn't to put anyone down here, but i remember when (for some reason) girls felt it was en vogue to call themselves bi-polar, like it was sexy or something. i had a gf in early 2000s that said she was bi-polar. totally grounded girl, liked to party...i looked up the definition and i'm like - ok...so you're bored most of the week then you feel great. um...yeah that's a WHOLE lotta people, myself included. some people go overboard when they party, then are bored in between until they get to do it again.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

i agree with the bipolar thing. and this isn't to put anyone down here, but i remember when (for some reason) girls felt it was en vogue to call themselves bi-polar, like it was sexy or something. i had a gf in early 2000s that said she was bi-polar. totally grounded girl, liked to party...i looked up the definition and i'm like - ok...so you're bored most of the week then you feel great. um...yeah that's a WHOLE lotta people, myself included. some people go overboard when they party, then are bored in between until they get to do it again.
Some people are schizophrenic, or have bi polar, or dealing with substance abuse or any number of issues. Hence the feckin forum. Its not facebook book

A

always thirsty

bipolar is a polished turd of a term

D

Debaura500

Some people are struggling with their mental health as am i

floater

floater

I began with a diagnosis of Sz and at some point, unknown to my self cos they probably told me when I was in a relapse state of mind, they upgraded it to bipolar. The only difference is a slight change in self-esteem, nothing else changed - years and years passed before I found they'd changed it

Z

Zaz3

I don't think being single or poor means more chance of having mental health problems. I think they just admit to themselves they have problems whereas couples have someone to play the game with and wealthy people are kidding themselves. People are people regardless of status, wealth, relationships etc. These are just more labels to cause division.

floater

floater

Not sure people are treated like people with too much or too little wealth. They might be people but treat like Gods or base animals...depending on their bottle top loading.

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

Broke vs rich are two very different extreme scenarios. The phrase money doesn't buy happiness is used when people feel their glass is always half empty because they want and not need. They complain about being poor but have many luxuries and holidays/vacations.

I moved in with my mom when I was 16. She's on disability for her mental health disorders. She's poor and I'd go visit different churches to pickup donated food to make meals for us. I found out she would eat rice as a meal and skip meals towards the end of the month when the food ran out.

Since she was on a fixed income she couldn't buy me anything. But nothing is impossible when you have plenty of generous middle-aged and older men/women in the world.

But seriously, what difference does it make if you have higher, lower, or same relationship and financial issues compared to the rest of the world? Money and relationships are obtainable things in life. I'm jealous of the people with such simple problems while I'm dealing with the explainable.