• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Are more people with mental illness single and poor?

R

rawlinsc

I live in supportive housing for people with mental illness. A lot of people here are on disability. Some people like myself work but I think most dont. It seems to me mental health consumers generally dont do as well. Most of them work a low pay job or dont work and collect. Most of them are single or maybe divorced. I dont want to stereotype but that's been my experience. Thoughts?

D

Debaura500

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm single and am not poor have bpd

floater

floater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Stigma makes it pointless to live it up doesn't it, won't even let you brush the floor near a well paid job with schizophrenia, and bipolar is a polished turd of a term - then there's the break downs. Unless you have money in the blood it ain't gonna happen. Been married, grass is never greener for sure...shrinks happy, keeps them in business allowing the N word to reign supreme in mental health

D

Debaura500

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I remember locking customers in the shop I worked in a bpd rage if they were rude or throwing bags of m&ms at shop lifters heads. Work is hard when u r mental.

R

rawlinsc

bipolar is a polished turd of a term - then there's the break downs.
Most times I hear the bipolar word mentioned is usually associated with something negative. One of the few positives I have heard is that bipolar people can be smart and creative but it is not often mentioned.

DanL15000

DanL15000

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Very few people or professions are capable of making the leap of accommodations that allow persons with challenges to succeed.

That doesn't mean we are failures. To me, more like society fails us.

I'll use me as an example. Twenty-five different jobs over the course of about thirty-five years. Never once fired. Often promoted. But something in the mix of schizotypal personality disorder and agoraphobia with panic causes me to build up paranoia, anxiety attacks increase, and eventually I have these temporary delusional episodes where I "escape". It's considered quitting without notice.

Why? It's a short term thing. I've even managed to talk my way back into some of these jobs. But whatever causes me to be like this...there must be a way to accommodate my need to have as much isolation as possible? Or maybe a half-time job and the triggers that build up wouldn't have reached my breaking point?

Yeah, some of it is on my disorders. But when I did work I was a damn hard worker. If I were in a wheelchair, somebody would make accommodations!

Relationships? I've had them. One marriage lasted for twenty-three years but eventually the same issue of paranoia, panic, and running off was no longer tolerated. Perhaps, if mental health treatment (which I pursued) were better my issues could have been better understood by one of the most patient people I've ever known?

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is yes, many people with mental illness do suffer low wages or no wages or are on disability. Many people with mental illness struggle to find relationships. But if we improved the way society looks at us, at treatments and accommodations to help us, we could have it better and frankly so would society.

N

natalie

For a very long time, years in fact, i have had problems of mental healt h and am on medication to help support mental he alth issues, and keep under control.

I am cer tainly not poor, I do have benefits income, and I have on dad's behalf managaing my finances on my behalf, savings stashed away in a number of savings accounts.

floater

floater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Not poor on benefits, around average wage - but it is a tenuous and one slip into 'normality' means a spiral to sleeping in a shop doorway. Trouble with the high functioning mental illnesses like schizotypal or bipolar is you realise you've the sword of Damocles sitting above your often solitary existence. Doesn't give me sleepless nights - it gives me sleeeeepless nights when the letter from the man drops....saying I'm gonna get tested again.

S

squizofrenia123

I think it depends on one's ability to deal with one's illness. I have szaffective disorder and work as a teacher. I am not rich but am independent. I am single and divorced with no kids. I am happy at times with myself. I know what you are implying that people with mental illness are marginalized and live on the fringes of society. I suffer from voices still and am doing the best I can. I am poor and single but am happy with myself.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I'm not poor but below average income and I've given up on relationship, maybe it'll happen one day but for now I'm not actively seeking one I've got to much to deal with on my own. For me keeping up a full-time job is not feasible as the slightest amount of stress can trigger my depression and I also struggle with social anxiety and just being around other people is exhausting. I have partial benefits allowing me to work 50% with the rest of my income being payed for by the state. I've spent most of my adult life trying to be able to find a job that I could handle without having a breakdown but eventually I realised it wasn't feasible. Working less hours seems to help as I get a few days in between to recuperate. As for relationships I have terrible self-esteem and I can't handle stress, especially emotional stress.

N

Nate

I live in supportive housing for people with mental illness. A lot of people here are on disability. Some people like myself work but I think most dont. It seems to me mental health consumers generally dont do as well. Most of them work a low pay job or dont work and collect. Most of them are single or maybe divorced. I dont want to stereotype but that's been my experience. Thoughts?
I am divorced, I collect disability. I wouldn't say I'm poor, I have everything I need.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Life is so hard with the stigma of mental illness. It is one reason I produce a podcast to dispel myths and raise awareness.

R

Rex Smith

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Depends on the person rather than what they're diagnosed with. I know several wealthy people that's bipolar some are single. But money doesn't buy happiness.

There's more poor than rich by using the same numbers and percentage ratio graphs of "normal" rich and poor people.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, my guess is that mentally ill people are more likely to be single or poor or both. Some are homeless, often those with severe illness, I believe anyway. They really cannot work, or maybe at something menial and low wage, maybe part-time, and can certainly have trouble socially.

I wonder just how many people are mentally ill. You hear numbers thrown around, like 1 in 4 people might suffer some sort of mental illness in a given year, or at least in their lifetime. I wonder if that number isn't much lower than what really happens. Lots of people go undiagnosed and manage to keep it pretty much to themselves, "treating" it with alcohol or other stuff.

I

Intareseid

I mean that's a pretty obvious correlation, even if the label "mental illness" is incredibly wide and can include anything from mild depression to a person being completely disconnected from reality.

It's simply a matter of medical science not being as effective at treating it as it is with more traditional physical ailments, treatment often requiring a lot of will and commitment from people that have neither because of their very condition and the fact that mental pathologies are by nature much more likely to seriously affect a person's overall performance in life.