• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Are more men getting eating disorders?

F

firemonkee57

“‘Somewhere deep within me is a destructive urge,” says Colin. “It’s this gremlin in my head that hits me at unexpected moments. Ultimately, complete recovery requires changing my perception of myself. It is going to be a struggle, but it’s achievable.” Colin is a 50-year-old community development manager, and has battled an eating disorder for more than two decades.

Eating disorders have long been perceived as an issue affecting women and girls, but this idea has been shown to be increasingly warped: the number of men being diagnosed has risen by 27% since 2000.

Typically, this has been interpreted as a stark reflection of increasing pressure on men to care more about their image, but the truth is perhaps more complex. Are cases of male eating disorders really increasing or are we simply getting better at recognising them? Statistics tell us that anorexia, for example, is 10 times more common in women than men, but we are preconditioned not to expect it in the latter. Then there is emotional overeating – far more common than either anorexia or bulimia – but which has only recently become the subject of serious research.

“One of our concerns is that diagnostic criteria for eating disorders are entirely based on female traits,” explains Nadia Micali, a senior lecturer at the Behavioural and Brain Sciences Unit at University College London.

Are more men getting eating disorders? | Life and style | The Guardian

S

sadgirl

Me personally think that there are the same amount of men as women that have eating disorders it's just not very well acknowledged or published as society has this image of what certain people look like and eating disorders don't fit into that category whoever you are male or female

B

Breathless

Yes they do its called biggerrexia! Usually coincides with testosterone injections, steroid abuse and severe ocd like control over calorie intake.

Jimny

Jimny

Not sure if I have something like this? I don't touch steroids or any of that stuff.
I used to be skinny growing up and continue to think I look skinny. I know I am not any more, I work hard in the gym. But there's always a voice of doubt there somewhere, it's particulary bad if I look at photographs I am in.

T

TheRedStar

I don't have an eating disorder, but as a man with body image issues I can certainly testify as to how male appearance concerns are trivialised by basically everybody - professionals and laypeople alike (before I dropped out of uni, one of my dissertation ideas was on changes to male body-esteem). And, even when it is acknowledged, quite often the response is basically, 'suck it up because women have more pressure upon them to look a certain way than you do', which - whilst true - doesn't magically make everything okay.

I do also think it true that the male body is coming under increasing scrutiny... personally, I feel this is a combination of the ever-increasing sexualisation and superficiality of our society, capitalism (in that those who pimp cosmetics suddenly wised up to the concept of potentially doubling their market - and therefore profits - by making men feel equally sh*t about their appearance as women), and the drive for gender equality. I should probably elaborate on that last factor, given the sensitivity of the subject... I do believe there's now an element - and a very understandable one, don't get me wrong - of 'what's good for the goose, is good for the gander!' from women in terms of the sexes viewing each other as pieces of meat, plus I believe the increasing openness of female sexuality contributes to this because 'animal attraction' is fundamentally - frankly - shallow, in men and women alike. Please don't think I want the clock to go back here because no-one should have to repress their sexuality... I just think many people of both genders could be a bit more... controlled and modest... about their expression of it, but - returning to what I wrote about the sexualisation and superficiality of our society - there's little encouragement around, and therefore motivation, to do so.

I once hoped that greater gender equality would, in the context of body image, work the completely opposite way around - that women would enjoy the freedom to be more relaxed about their appearance in the same way as men used to. However, that was naive of me... as previously mentioned, there's a lot of money to be made from making people feel externally inadequate; how would all the cosmetics manufacturers, plastic surgeons, and orthodontists survive if everyone felt comfortable in their own skin???

As such, personally I think all such 'industries' should be hammered with a tax levy, with the money raised going exclusively towards the treatment of people who have eating disorders and any other mental health condition related to body-image.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes they do its called biggerrexia! Usually coincides with testosterone injections, steroid abuse and severe ocd like control over calorie intake.
I know a boy who done this recently... He looked so much better before he bulked up and went all gross.

B

Breathless

Maybe he did a dirty bulk on dbol? If done right the results can look awesome but yeah its never really enough and you still see skinny in the mirror. Plus those testosterone shots can become a serious addiction problem. I read somewhere that most women prefer men with a bit of fat on them rather than the heavily marketed six-pack look?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
God knows what that is, he admitted he took steroids. I think over muscley is gross but I'm weird maybe? I dont have a type but I'm a sucker for dark hair blue eyes lol

B

Breathless

I think it is gross but then so is over skinny. Its hard to know when to stop.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
For me ive never lost control as such, i ate crap and ive always been bigger but I'm a girl so obviously I'm conscious about being fat and have a reduced calorie intake in the vein hope I'll loose weight lol.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I do think fresh fruit and veg, salads are important, non processed foods too!
I used to make most my stuff from scratch, too many additives.due to my circumstances its hard to maintain a good diet but I aim to get back on it as soon as I have a kitchen again lol.

B

Breathless

I just can't eat enough food when weight training. The calories needed are around 3000 a day. Sure its like 3 MacDonald's but if you're trying to eat healthy, you need to eat all day long which is a chore. The thing with calorie restriction is it results in muscle wastage so the minute you start eating normally again, BAM fat gain because you've trained and shaped your body to survive on very little. Its partly why anorexics get caught up in their dieting, they put on fat really easily because they've become so physically weak through starvation.

B

Breathless

Where has your kitchen gone to?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I had to leave family home so im consequently homeless :) I have a room above a pub with a kettle and bathroom. Aparently they provide a meal but I'm to anxious and anti social to go down there.
I can happily live off minimal calories now I'm used to it :)

B

Breathless

I admire you for moving out. You may only have a kettle but its yours! I'm currently looking to escape from my family home. Living here everyday is enough to give me bad anxiety and depression. I have a place in Istanbul but wouldn't want to live there, too many Muslim types dressed like ninjas.