• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Are geeks really narcissistic?

L

LogicOverEmotion140

The scientific study below says that geeks are narcissistic. And when I say geeks, I am talking about those socially awkward shy eccentric introverts who are fans of comic con, star wars, video games, star trek, fantasy, etc. Not the Math and Science types.

Now this is confusing cause most geeks are just shy socially awkward eccentric introverts while narcissists are obsessed with their outward appearance and have delusional excessive self pride. How can geekdom be compatible with narcissism?

This below is the scientific study I am talking about:

Why is this? What do you think of this? Like are they saying that most geeks are arrogant peoples who think they are better than others and that they have no empathy?

Do you really believe that geeks have no qualms about manipulating others for greedy reasons even if their victims will become poor to death and starvation? Do you think geeks are the type of people that will exterminate a whole indigenous tribe at the drop of a hat if they have something to gain from that heinous action?

Seriously, I find it funny that geeks have connections with serial killers or violent dictators. Also, the closest disorder I know that most geeks have are autism. Not ASPD.

So what do you think?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I feel that being a geek does mean that they are socially awkward with possible personality disorders.

L

LogicOverEmotion140

idk some geeks are incredibly rude. is that a sign of narcissism?
Not necessarily. Even non-narcissist can be rude. Seriously, I have found a lot of people in my life that are rude and most of them aren't even geeks. They were diverse in culture and gender.

Ras

Ras

ACCOUNT CLOSED
geeks as far as i am concerned are just people that are passionate about certain interests and no way does it relate to any mental illness.
Being a "geek" doesnt mean someone is autistic, narcissistic or have ASPD.
sounds more like grasping at straws to try and self diagnose certain people

L

LogicOverEmotion140

geeks as far as i am concerned are just people that are passionate about certain interests and no way does it relate to any mental illness.
Being a "geek" doesnt mean someone is autistic, narcissistic or have ASPD.
sounds more like grasping at straws to try and self diagnose certain people
Yeah, the study even says that geeks are narcissistic just because they love fantasizing about people with great power such as superheroes. I mean who doesn't fantasize about idols or idealistic archetypes? Almost everybody does it.

The ideals doesn't have to be fictional characters like supernatural heroes. They can also be athletes or political leaders. They can be anyone. Football fans seem to fit.

Everyone has ego in some way. The study seems to think that neurotypicals or non-narcissists are perfect and pure which is nonsensical.

BlackChalice47

BlackChalice47

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can't say I'm surprised by this but I don't think there's an inherent correlation between lack of empathy and narcissism but I could be wrong. Not a psychologist.

I think it gets better with age but I've always been somewhat arrogant about my taste in music, for example, and it sometimes makes it hard to talk to people sometimes.

L

LogicOverEmotion140

He's a geek.
Are you saying that geeks are stalkers? I don't think so. That's absurd. Geekdom is about shy eccentric passionate introverts. Not narcissistic stalkers. Geeks are obsessed about eccentric hobbies and not stalking someone.

I

ih8passwords

Maybe a good looking autistic person is considered a narcissist because they are misunderstood but there is no excuse for liking crappy music

L

LogicOverEmotion140

Can't say I'm surprised by this but I don't think there's an inherent correlation between lack of empathy and narcissism but I could be wrong. Not a psychologist.

I think it gets better with age but I've always been somewhat arrogant about my taste in music, for example, and it sometimes makes it hard to talk to people sometimes.
Most geeks aren't arrogant to be honest. They're just shy loners. Some can be arrogant but most are decent. Plus, their passive humble people pleasing attitude makes them even more targetted by bullies in school cause a passive humble people pleasing attitude can be a sign of weakness.

If you're arrogant about your music, you don't sound geeky at all. You don't sound like a shy eccentric introvert. You're more like just some normal rude dude who loves music. You kinda remind me of that bully in school who makes fun of someone's taste in music.

No, he is not a geek. He has friends and plays sports. He also doesn't suffer from low self esteem. He's just an asshole.

The most common reason why people don't talk to geeks is because they are judgmental and unfairly mock shy weak introverts as creeps or weirdos.

By the way, geeks are drawn to fantasy and video games. Not music.

Also, saying that geeks lack empathy is just absurd and dangerous. Painting people as the same as serial killers or ruthless dictators just because they are shy eccentric introverts is basically dangerous and could result in a modern witch hunt.

Can you imagine crazy fanatical vigilantes brutally killing shy eccentric introverts with unusual hobbies because they think of nerds as the same as serial killers? Crazy.

BlackChalice47

BlackChalice47

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, I get livid when someone brings up a band I don't like and end the conversation right then and there.

Nah, I do get some brief red flare of subconscious autistic rage though and I'm not even autistic. Music taste is like the least important thing ever. I know.

L

LogicOverEmotion140

Maybe a good looking autistic person is considered a narcissist because they are misunderstood but there is no excuse for liking crappy music
People can like whatever music they like. We have no rights to judge others' personal taste as trash.

I

ih8passwords

Yeah, I get livid when someone brings up a band I don't like and end the conversation right then and there.

Nah, I do get some brief red flare of subconscious autistic rage though and I'm not even autistic. Music taste is like the least important thing ever. I know.
LOL!!! You're hilarious. Thanks for the laugh - but now I am self conscious....

BlackChalice47

BlackChalice47

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I say that not out of some ignorant, half-baked idea of what it's like to have autism but more because most people assume I'm autistic. Meant no offense to those who actually have it. :cool: