• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Are all psychiatric drugs too unsafe to take?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are all psychiatric drugs too unsafe to take? - NaturalNews.com

Antipsychotic drugs, including both older and newer ones, cause shrinkage (atrophy) of the brain in many human brain scan studies and in animal autopsy studies. The newer atypicals especially cause a well-documented metabolic syndrome including elevated blood sugar, diabetes, increased cholesterol, obesity and hypertension. They also produce dangerous cardiac arrhythmias and unexplained sudden death, and they significantly reduce longevity. In addition, they cause all the problems of the older drugs, such as Thorazine and Haldol, including tardive dyskinesia, a largely permanent and sometimes disabling and painful movement disorder caused by brain damage and biochemical disruptions.

Risperdal in particular but others as well cause potentially permanent breast enlargement in young boys and girls. The overall risk of harmful long-term effects from antipsychotic drugs exceeds the capacity of this review. Withdrawal from antipsychotic drugs can cause overwhelming emotional and neurological suffering, as well as psychosis in both children and adults, making complete cessation at times very difficult or impossible.

Despite their enormous risks, the newer antipsychotic drugs are now frequently used off-label to treat anything from anxiety and depression to insomnia and behavior problems in children. Two older antipsychotic drugs, Reglan and Compazine, are used for gastrointestinal problems, and despite small or short-term dosing, they too can cause problems, including tardive dyskinesia.

Antipsychotic drugs masquerading as sleep aids: Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa and others

Nowadays, many patients are given medications for insomnia without being told that they are in fact receiving very dangerous antipsychotic drugs. This can happen with any antipsychotic but most frequently occurs with Seroquel, Abilify and Zyprexa. The patient is unwittingly exposed to all the hazards of antipsychotic drugs.

Antipsychotic drugs masquerading as antidepressant and bipolar drugs: Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa and others

The FDA has approved some antipsychotic drugs as augmentation for treating depression along with antidepressants. As a result, patients are often misinformed that they are getting an "antidepressant" when they are in fact getting one of the newer antipsychotic drugs, with all of their potentially disastrous adverse effects. Patients are similarly misled by being told that they are getting a "bipolar" drug when it is an antipsychotic drug.

Antidepressants: SSRIs such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro and Viibyrd, as well as Effexor, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta and Vivalan

The SSRIs are probably the most fully studied antidepressants, but the following observations apply to most or all antidepressants. These drugs produce long-term apathy and loss of quality of life. Many studies of SSRIs show severe brain abnormalities, such as shrinkage (atrophy) with brain cell death in humans and the growth of new abnormal brain cells in animal and laboratory studies. They frequently produce an apathy syndrome -- a generalized loss of motivation or interest in many or all aspects of life. The SSRIs frequently cause irreversible dysfunction and loss of interest in sexuality, relationship and love. Withdrawal from all antidepressants can cause a wide variety of distressing and dangerous emotional reactions from depression to mania and from suicide to violence. After withdrawal from antidepressants, individuals often experience persistent and distressing mental and neurological impairments. Some people find antidepressant withdrawal to be so distressing that they cannot fully stop taking the drugs.

Benzodiazepine (benzos) anti-anxiety drugs and sleep aids: Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Valium, Librium, Tranxene and Serax; Dalmane, Doral, Halcion, ProSom and Restoril used as sleep aids

Benzos deteriorate memory and other mental capacities. Human studies demonstrate that they frequently lead to atrophy and dementia after longer-term exposure. After withdrawal, individuals exposed to these drugs also experience multiple persisting problems including memory and cognitive dysfunction, emotional instability, anxiety, insomnia, and muscular and neurological discomforts. Mostly because of severely worsened anxiety and insomnia, many cannot stop taking them and become permanently dependent. This frequently happens after only six weeks of exposure. Any benzo can be prescribed as a sleep aid, but Dalmane, Doral, Halcion, ProSom and Restoril are marketed for that purpose.

Non-benzo sleep aids: Ambien, Intermezzo, Lunesta and Sonata

These drugs pose similar problems to the benzos, including memory and other mental problems, dependence and painful withdrawal. They can cause many abnormal mental states and behaviors, including dangerous sleepwalking. Insufficient data is available concerning brain shrinkage and dementia, but these are likely outcomes considering their similarity to benzos. Recent studies show that these drugs increase death rate, taking away years of life, even when used intermittently for sleep.

Stimulants for ADHD: Adderall, Dexedrine and Vyvanse are amphetamines, and Ritalin, Focalin, and Concerta are methylphenidate

All of these drugs pose similar if not identical long-term dangers to children and adults. In humans, many brain scan studies show that they cause brain tissue shrinkage (atrophy). Animal studies show persisting biochemical changes in the brain. These drugs can lead directly to addiction or increase the risk of abusing cocaine and other stimulants later on in adulthood. They disrupt growth hormone cycles and can cause permanent loss of height in children. Recent studies confirm that children who take these drugs often become lifelong users of multiple psychiatric drugs, resulting in shortened lifespan, increased psychiatric hospitalization and criminal incarceration, increased drug addiction, increased suicide and a general decline in quality of life. Withdrawal from stimulants can cause "crashing" with worsened behavior, depression and suicide. Strattera is a newer drug used to treat ADHD. Unlike the other stimulants, it is not an addictive amphetamine, but it too can be dangerously overstimulating. Strattera is more similar to antidepressants in its longer-term risks.

Mood stabilizers: Lithium, Lamictal, Equetro and Depakote

Lithium is the oldest and hence most thoroughly studied. It causes permanent memory and mental dysfunction, including depression, and an overall decline in neurological function and quality of life. It can result in severe neurological dilapidation with dementia, a disastrous adverse drug effect called "syndrome of irreversible lithium-effectuated neurotoxicity" or SILENT. Long-term lithium exposure also causes severe skin disorders, kidney failure and hypothyroidism. Withdrawal from lithium can cause manic-like episodes and psychosis. There is evidence that Depakote can cause abnormal cell growth in the brain. Lamictal has many hazards including life-threatening diseases involving the skin and other organs. Equetro cases life-threatening skin disorders and suppresses white cell production with the risk of death from infections. Withdrawal from Depakote, Lamictal and Equetro can cause seizures and emotional distress.

Summarizing the tragic truth

It is time to face the enormous tragedy of exposing children and adults to any psychiatric drug for months and years. My new video introduces and highlights these risks and my book Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal describes them in detail and documents them with scientific research.

All classes of psychiatric drugs can cause brain damage and lasting mental dysfunction when used for months or years. Although research data is lacking for a few individual drugs in each class, until proven otherwise it is prudent and safest to assume that the risks of brain damage and permanent mental dysfunction apply to every single psychiatric drug. Furthermore, all classes of psychiatric drugs cause serious and dangerous withdrawal reactions, and again it is prudent and safest to assume that any psychiatric drug can cause withdrawal problems.

Widespread misinformation

Difficulty in stopping psychiatric drugs can lead misinformed or unscrupulous health professionals to tell patients that they need to take their drugs for the rest of their lives when they really need to taper and withdraw from them in a careful manner. As described in Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal, tapering outside of a hospital often requires psychological and social help, including therapy and emotional support and monitoring by friends or family.

Meanwhile, there is no substantial or convincing evidence that any psychiatric drug is useful longer-term. Psychiatric drug treatment for months or years lacks scientific basis. Therefore, the risk-benefit ratio is enormously lopsided toward the risk.

Science-based conclusions

Whenever possible, psychiatric drugs should be tapered and withdrawn either as an inpatient or as an outpatient with careful clinical supervision and a support network as described in Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal. Keep in mind that it is not only dangerous to take psychiatric drugs -- it can be dangerous to withdraw from them. The safest solution is to avoid starting psychiatric drugs! It is time for a return to psychological, social and educational approaches to emotional suffering and impairment.

Psychiatrist Peter R. Breggin's scientific and educational work has provided the foundation for modern criticism of psychiatric drugs and electroconvulsive therapy. He leads the way in promoting more caring, empathic and effective therapies. His newest book is Guilt, Shame and Anxiety: Understanding and Overcoming Negative Emotions. His website is Breggin.com.

About the author:

Peter R. Breggin, MD is a psychiatrist in private practice in Ithaca, New York. Dr. Breggin criticizes contemporary psychiatric reliance on diagnoses and drugs, and promotes empathic therapeutic relationships. He has been called "the Conscience of Psychiatry." See his website at Psychiatric Drug Facts with Dr. Peter Breggin - HOME

Rest in Link -

Learn more: Are all psychiatric drugs too unsafe to take? - NaturalNews.com

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Is sertraline an anti psychotic?

calypso

calypso

Admin
When I first joined this forum I was totally in favour of anti psychotics, because I didn't know of any other way to think. Having been on them for years now, I am not in favour so much. I did need them once and I was in danger of doing a lot of harm to myself and they did stop that.

But I was put on ever increasing doses to remove my voices, and I became like a sleep walker. As the weight piled on, I was told to exercise, but being in a stupor meant I couldn't walk around the house very well let alone exercise. I have taken myself down to a lower level and the flack I get from my pdoc is non ending. I do now get voices, but I have decided to accept them as well as I can.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When I first joined this forum I was totally in favour of anti psychotics, because I didn't know of any other way to think. Having been on them for years now, I am not in favour so much. I did need them once and I was in danger of doing a lot of harm to myself and they did stop that.

But I was put on ever increasing doses to remove my voices, and I became like a sleep walker. As the weight piled on, I was told to exercise, but being in a stupor meant I couldn't walk around the house very well let alone exercise. I have taken myself down to a lower level and the flack I get from my pdoc is non ending. I do now get voices, but I have decided to accept them as well as I can.
i think it's all such a complex & emotive area.

i think there should be more choice for people, more comprehensive approaches used & far more help available for people. i personally think everything should be done to avoid the use of psychoactive drugs.

i'm not anti psychiatry/anti medication - But i do feel far more comprehensive approaches to care & healing could be being used.

i was sectioned age 17 & heavily medicated. It was all very traumatic. i think things could have been approached differently. i was free of all medication for 2 four year periods between hospitalisations. Age 25 i was put on a very high dose of anti-psychotic medication for a year - & i think that did something to my brain - Have never been able to successfully stop it since.

There is a complex & in depth 25 year history with it all. Part of me wonders about trying with a very gradual lowering of the medication again - But i feel i need more in the way of understanding & support before i try that again - the last thing i want is a repeat of the last time i stopped this drug, but another part of me is fed up swallowing the pills every day.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think what frustrates me with it all, is that from first being sectioned close to 25 years ago, i've always been more than willing to work through things with people - But have found a lack of people to do so with, & lack of access to alternative approaches/understandings. i feel the medication has been very much forced on me.

Since i last stopped the medication, the past 10 years in a way in part have seemed like a kind of limbo. It is like being in somewhat of a dream.

The problem is if i tried another withdrawal - i do feel there are still unresolved underlying issues & there would be potentially severe withdrawal/rebound effects from stopping the drug. i wish there was support from the GP, MH services & more understanding & support in my life to try. A part of me would love to be free of this drug.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Does anybody remember a few years ago when somehow, some batches of neurofen contained quetiapine?
The message put out on the news ("You must immediately take these drugs back - do not take them!") was pretty alarming..

Of course they had to put a warning out there blah blah, but I think I can recall some news sources saying that the neurofen contained a "dangerous anti-psychotic drug".

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. But it was one of those situations where it felt like mental health patients were being told a very different story about what they were taking.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Does anybody remember a few years ago when somehow, some batches of neurofen contained quetiapine?
The message put out on the news ("You must immediately take these drugs back - do not take them!") was pretty alarming..

Of course they had to put a warning out there blah blah, but I think I can recall some news sources saying that the neurofen contained a "dangerous anti-psychotic drug".

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. But it was one of those situations where it felt like mental health patients were being told a very different story about what they were taking.
Yes - i remember the big hoo har over it all.

i can't turn back the clock, but i would have preferred access to different approaches, i would have liked more of an opportunity for a medication free recovery.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i'm tempted to buy this book -

Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal: A Guide for Prescribers, Therapists, Patients and Their Families - Peter Roger Breggin

Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal: A Guide for Prescribers, Therapists, Patients and Their Families: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Roger Breggin: 9780826108432: Books

This is the first book to establish guidelines and to assist prescribers and therapists in withdrawing their patients from psychiatric drugs, including those patients with long-term exposure to antipsychotic drugs, benzodiazepines, stimulants, antidepressants, and mood stabilizers. It describes a method developed by the author throughout years of clinical experience, consultations with experienced colleagues, and scientific research. Based on a person-centered collaborative approach, with patients as partners, this method builds on a cooperative and empathic team effort involving prescribers, therapists, patients, and their families or support network. The author, known for such books as Talking Back to Prozac , Toxic Psychiatry, and Medication Madness, is a lifelong reformer and scientist in mental health whose work has brought about significant change in psychiatric practice. This book provides critical information about when to consider psychiatric drug reduction or withdrawal, and how to accomplish it as safely, expeditiously, and comfortably as possible. It offers the theoretical framework underlying this approach along with extensive scientific information, practical advice, and illustrative case studies that will assist practitioners in multiple ways, including in how to: Recognize common and sometimes overlooked adverse drug effects that may require withdrawal. Treat emergencies during drug therapy and during withdrawal. Determine the first drugs to withdraw during multi-drug therapy. Distinguish between withdrawal reactions, newly occurring emotional problems, and recurrence of premedication issues. Estimate the length of withdrawal.
i read & have a copy of "Your Drug May Be Your Problem, Revised Edition: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications".

Psychiatric Drug Facts with Dr. Peter Breggin - HOME

The frustratingly difficult dilemma is that i have very little actual understanding & support around all this issue - little to none from family, brother is in addiction, mum with alzheimers & no other close family. Have lived alone for 13 years & have no medical support, other than a GP who is very much biomedical & pro drug.

Rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of people are locked into the pathology > label > drug paradigm & it's very hard finding people who have more of a genuine understanding within all these areas, or who can support people properly with a withdrawal.

i wonder about an incredibly slow tapered reduction - following the established guidelines.

i feel very damaged in ways by 25 years of psychiatric interventions & drug treatments.

Wish there had been/was more understanding & support in my life, on-line & on this forum for all this as well, but society, this place & a lot of stuff on-line is orientated to the pro biomedical/pro orthodox psychiatric/pro pharmacological/pro drug models/opinions.

Don't know why this isn't seen as more of an issue on what is an 'impartial' mental health support forum?

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im 15 or more years now off antipsychotics. There is tremendous suffering and sometimes very frightening phenomena and experiences. I can't imagine the challenge involved in coming off after 25 years. It's not impossible but put it this way: imagine the most troubling of your experiences prior to the drug. Could you live through that and hold your nerve?

All the mystics talk about the loneliness of the path. Jesus talked about that too. And demons will occasionally linger around you, tricksters. Would you have the wherewithal to hold your nerve?

Every time I've needed gods hand its been there from when I was a very young child. Some people have talked of dissociation. I've walked in the garden of eden. Or what I took it to be. Who knows?

I read somewhere about how different people had decided on systems that could be used to determine what is a truly mystical experience.. ie from god versus psychosis versus a drug revery

at this stage of my understanding I dont think there is any difference beyond a persons willingness to yield to gods love

But

Always a but

In my experience the withdrawal from antipsychotics can be very harrowing

And the emotional awakening overwhelming

The question above all others is should the phenomena resurface with full intensity and emotional impact, do you think you have the psychospiritual resources to survive?

Because you will always be alone with them ultimately. Just pause for thought.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im 15 or more years now off antipsychotics. There is tremendous suffering and sometimes very frightening phenomena and experiences. I can't imagine the challenge involved in coming off after 25 years. It's not impossible but put it this way: imagine the most troubling of your experiences prior to the drug. Could you live through that and hold your nerve?

The question above all others is should the phenomena resurface with full intensity and emotional impact, do you think you have the psychospiritual resources to survive?
Probably not no.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im Sorry.

But also keep in mind that you are not the same person you were 25 years ago.

Theres no shame in your situation. In some ways theres a lot of sense in doing what you do.

We all walk a singular path.

There are ways and means of helping you resolve your problems. But there are specific experiences that only god can help you with. I'm past caring what people think of me typing that. I tried to be an atheist and god just Wouldn't leave me alone.

Now some people think i am in manic psychosis. That doesnt matter either while they are maintaining a distance and im keeping myself out of trouble which Isn't straightforward when so much can change so rapidly.

To all intents and purposes to the observer I was conducting an intense and emotional conversation with the sky last wednesday.

Three nights later I was in a police cell.

I've got it under control but I cant control reality completely transforming. And I was being invited to suicide. I was able to rationalise my way through it. But as I've said before I didnt have psychiatric contact until aged 26 and these experiences began at a very young age. I learnt ways of coping.

But even now I can find it very difficult to be sure what is real and what is not real.

The biggest breakthrough really for me is finally yielding to god. It's early days with regards this being the deliverence I seek but it does feel like im finding my way.

Please dont be annoyed at any seeming attempt at evangelising and know that I am also distrustful of the churches. The romanisation of christ is a sordid tale imo.

Best wishes and dont despair. What you need will find you in time if you are open to it. You know this.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks.

i have no issue with the existence of Source/God/Creator - whatever you wish to call it - never have done.

It's been more what other people have said about it all, & my own experiences with everything.

There was a deep influence of a strict Church of England upbringing, which i didn't really enjoy too much. i have re framed a lot of things over the past 13 years, which has helped.

It is dealing with very broad areas.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
A lot of silly talk in churches from people who are spiritually flat or worse dead just going through the motions.

These are esoteric experiences. A lot will be out right dismissed or laughed at. At turns I've done much the same while privately knowing what I know or worse trying to actively unknow.

Just talking about these areas will drive many away from you without so much as a blink of an eye.

But the more resistance the worse it becomes in my experience.

Yielding to gods love doesnt require withdrawal although I think you are already doing that.

I just know what I know which is mostly experiential.

Keep it simple.