• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

arachnophobia preventing me from sleeping

D

daviddoyle

I have always been very phobic of spiders particularly the way they look to the extent that I find the image of a spider equally repulsive to an actual spider in fact a large image is more upsetting than a small spider (I live in england so don't encounter large spiders often).

recently I have been unable to stop myself from picturing them when in the stages between conciseness and sleep ; this images always jolt me awake because they produce such a sudden surge of anxiety and it is getting to the stage where I am being kept awake.

since being diagnosed with a depressive illness presenting minor psychotic symptoms some years ago (mostly abated) I have quit smoking weed but part of my trouble with marijuwanna was that I found once my capacity to visualise was greatly increased I was unable to stop my self from picturing spiders.

I have thought about therapy but don't really know whats out there for this specific an issue and I find the thought of immersion therapy absolutely horrifying.

I would like to know what it's all about though sometimes even just a close up picture of weed or cacti which seems to have those same disgusting short stiff hairs is enough to turn my stomach. I once heard a radio-programme that said fear phobias are curable but disgust phobias are not , in this case I think I would be incurable.

Has anyone else had similer problems/ would care to offer advice , I am unable even to google arachnophobia for fear of my search returning an image.

david

thanks , first post

D

deadflowers

My bro was frightened of flying so he went and got hypnotherapy and it sorted the problem. Have you considered that?? xxxxxx

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Really sorry it's interfering with sleep

Sending love and hugs

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi there
x
i am terrified of spiders ,but only when i see them ,so if you are stressed even when they are not physically in your presence ,i agree with angel flowers and maybe you could consider therapy
x
i really feel for you ,i hate them ,i know they can hurt us but still
x
lots of love and hugs
from lucretia

Carmen87

Carmen87

Its as though I had written this.
I too am like that. It takes me ages to go to sleep because of the thought of a spider crawling on me or even just an image. My fear of spiders is something so massive, it affects my life daily. I cannot do anything without thinking there may be one present. I have to literally check EVERYTHING. I check clothes, shoes, my bed, my room, even FOOD!! I hate it. I remember about a year and half ago I was sorting out clothes in my bedroom when one fell from a top I had picked up. It was quite a big one. My boyfriend was out at the time but when he got home, he couldn't find it. It resulted in me having to sleep on the sofa until it was found. It took TWO WEEKS before it made an appearance :'( xx

U

Usernamesarehardtothinkof

Hey carmen87 I was just wondering if you ever tried treatment. This is how I am at the moment and it's stressing me out 😕

Last edited:
C

calamityjen

I've noticed that my fear of spiders gets worse if there's something else going on in my life that's stressing me out, don't know if that's of any help? Like, if I feel like my life is going wrong, the fear and obsession with keeping spiders out gets worse, whereas if I'm happy I'm not so bothered. I found that some general relaxation techniques helped a bit, but haven't done anything further.

It's a horrible fear, as it's something you can't control well, so you can then end up being scared of being scared, if that makes sense. xx

N

Nfinnie5

Its as though I had written this.
I too am like that. It takes me ages to go to sleep because of the thought of a spider crawling on me or even just an image. My fear of spiders is something so massive, it affects my life daily. I cannot do anything without thinking there may be one present. I have to literally check EVERYTHING. I check clothes, shoes, my bed, my room, even FOOD!! I hate it. I remember about a year and half ago I was sorting out clothes in my bedroom when one fell from a top I had picked up. It was quite a big one. My boyfriend was out at the time but when he got home, he couldn't find it. It resulted in me having to sleep on the sofa until it was found. It took TWO WEEKS before it made an appearance :'( xx
This is exactly what I am going through right now. Its 603am and i am so tird my eyes are stinging but in the evening was 1 massive ine in bathroom and when got up to go toilet couple hours ago there was one on floor right next to bed killed it with a high heel now wont sleep till it gets light good job dont start work till 3pm pray for me

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi all,

Every Autumn, my son and I collect fallen conkers for a couple of friends who hate spiders - they hate the scent of chestnut and lining chestnuts along window sills and along the bottom of doorways apparently deters them - both of my friends swear by it. You can buy chestnut spider repellent spray - found some on Amazon to show you in a link:

30 Conkers (horse Chestnut) Spider Repellent for sale online | eBay

I appreciate this won't help with nightmares and phobias but it might give you a little peace of mind so I thought I'd mention it. x