• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Approaching my GP

sirenserenade

sirenserenade

I doubt this is the right forum to discuss this in, but it does concern my social anxiety.

I've had to get disability support through my university recently, and whilst that has been a weight off my chest, I have had to get A LOT of evidence from my GP for documents.

Whilst my GP has been good at responding to me despite all of my requests through their e-consult service, I have noticed something though these requests. It turns out that the GP only has my anxiety disorder registered in their system. Not my social anxiety, PTSD, agoraphobia, or depression. I have struggled with all of the mentioned illnesses for more than a year.
It is making my applications for aid difficult because I'm finally trying to get help but I only have minimal evidence. I've been shaking in fear, and I'm nauseated because I'm trying so desperately to get help, but it's as though my GP has written off all of my illnesses. They haven't even been recorded.

My question is, how do I approach my GP to discuss this with them? Due to the current circumstances, I cannot contact him directly as my GP are using a triage system, so whomever is available to answer your request will, regardless of whether you know them or not.

My concern is that if I approach another member of the medical centre to discuss this with them, is that they will assume that I'm trying to get a diagnosis to make my situation seem worse than it is. I've fought to get a GP that would take my mental health seriously, and I thought I had found one. The GP prior to my current GP told me that I should "shut up and stop crying- I can't hear what you're saying over your weeping." I had to go to A&E the following day because of an attempt on my life.

I feel as though I'm finally trying to get help and make a permanent change but I can't, and I'm struggling desperately to cope. I can barely make a phone call and the thought of trying to confront someone is beyond terrifying.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Firstly, I am so sorry and disgusted with the GP who told you to shut up and stop crying. What an insensitive person. I hope you can make a complaint although I know how hard that is when you are going through all you are.

It is frustrating your GP has not listed your diagnosis. I think some GPs do not if they are concerned about the implications of labels. When you want to contact your GP are you doing so on their website? That is how I have to contact mine. You can explain in the message that you wish your other diagnosis's to be on your file.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I doubt this is the right forum to discuss this in, but it does concern my social anxiety.

I've had to get disability support through my university recently, and whilst that has been a weight off my chest, I have had to get A LOT of evidence from my GP for documents.

Whilst my GP has been good at responding to me despite all of my requests through their e-consult service, I have noticed something though these requests. It turns out that the GP only has my anxiety disorder registered in their system. Not my social anxiety, PTSD, agoraphobia, or depression. I have struggled with all of the mentioned illnesses for more than a year.
It is making my applications for aid difficult because I'm finally trying to get help but I only have minimal evidence. I've been shaking in fear, and I'm nauseated because I'm trying so desperately to get help, but it's as though my GP has written off all of my illnesses. They haven't even been recorded.

My question is, how do I approach my GP to discuss this with them? Due to the current circumstances, I cannot contact him directly as my GP are using a triage system, so whomever is available to answer your request will, regardless of whether you know them or not.

My concern is that if I approach another member of the medical centre to discuss this with them, is that they will assume that I'm trying to get a diagnosis to make my situation seem worse than it is. I've fought to get a GP that would take my mental health seriously, and I thought I had found one. The GP prior to my current GP told me that I should "shut up and stop crying- I can't hear what you're saying over your weeping." I had to go to A&E the following day because of an attempt on my life.

I feel as though I'm finally trying to get help and make a permanent change but I can't, and I'm struggling desperately to cope. I can barely make a phone call and the thought of trying to confront someone is beyond terrifying.
Remember GP's are just first point of contact for people like us. Look up mental health support teams in your area or at least get you GP to give you a referal xx