• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Application for pip and work while on anti psychotic meds

P

pollypocket88

Hi there I made a application for my pip before those Coronavirus started so I’m guessing it’s going to take ages to get back to me has any one else’s pip applications just been sent just wondering how long it will take to be looked at .

I feel like I battle daily with my mental health and side affects of quatiapine my latest side affect is my muscles in my legs and back have become very painful and I find it hard to think . I have been offered to go back to work part time part of me wants to because staying in the house is making me ill I’m constantly checking the news . with all the changes in the world but work will keep me active but I’m worried I might be pushing my self and get worst I’m also worried bout how my side affects will affect me while working ,

My plan was to always go back part time and hopefully get pip I haven’t worked in a long time and I don’t want to keep relying on my amazing partner I Duno my heads stuck last time I went back to work when I wasn’t ready I had a psychotic episode at work any advice on both or either subjects would be great .

N

natalie

HI Pollypocket88,

In my case I have been instructed by benefits I can't work either part or full time.

It's a grey area, I would steer and think hard very carefull about this. Part time would be and could be ideal, then you could take your dose, after your' part time's days' work, however, it would be the question of finding that right employer who would have your mental health affairs at best interest, and these were in my case, althouigh I would have acted with caution, hard to come by.

Let's see what tomorrow will bring, after the Governement review, and when they announce on Friday what the likelyhood plans might be, and we can then take each s tep f rom there.

Yes, there is a that danger with the newses, since when I become ill, back in 04, and problems in 01 and o3, I have always always switched of religiously from not following the newses like mad.

I put cds on instead and I'll do knitting combined.

Anyway, as I inform, it's a grey area, so please do think and tred the water very carefully.

Best regards.

N

natalie

Oh and just an afterthought, try not do any part time work, that might involve too s tressful for you, try to carry out lightload of work.

P

pollypocket88

Hi there hun

What do you mean by grey area ? You are allowed to work with pip it’s esa where I think you can’t work more than a certain bout of hours . I can’t get ESA due to my partners earnings .

Depending on when things go back to normal will depend on whether what the government say but i have a feeling that they will loads of assessments to start before looking at mines .

The crisis team have discharged me to the community mental health team but it’s a 5 month wait from when the lock down stops but some one from there will be calling me weekly . I just rang my gp and I have a on phone console with my gp regarding my Restless legs and achey pains due to medication increase .

I suppose I just don’t want to push my self yeh my nurse said she didn’t think I should go back to work and if I did and started to not feel well then Iam to stop straight away.

Plus being at home i feel like I’m sat inside worrying bout the world no routine no structure .

Thanks so much for your advice xx

P

pollypocket88

It’s not what I used to do so not too stressful it’s just cleaning and it pays well with what’s going on at the moment . But my illness goes by day today I would need a understanding boss

W

Worriedyin

I was already working part time when I got PIP approved, don't think I'll be successful getting it renewed with how I'm coping at the moment (a lot better) but the award was for three years backdated to the application date (my CPN applied) so still got over a year until I have to deal with that issue.

Do you have anyone to help you apply?

I didn't have to do anything, just handed it over and waited, no face to face meeting.

I'm hoping by the time it runs out I'll be well enough to go back to full time anyway, I've only had one sick day in the past six months and it wasn't a MH day. You really get used to working if you are motivated to go in.

Is it full days or just part of the day? I am afternoons which is really manageable even on days when I'm struggling to get out of bed.

Really good luck with your application.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Hi there hun

What do you mean by grey area ? You are allowed to work with pip it’s esa where I think you can’t work more than a certain bout of hours . I can’t get ESA due to my partners earnings .

Depending on when things go back to normal will depend on whether what the government say but i have a feeling that they will loads of assessments to start before looking at mines .

The crisis team have discharged me to the community mental health team but it’s a 5 month wait from when the lock down stops but some one from there will be calling me weekly . I just rang my gp and I have a on phone console with my gp regarding my Restless legs and achey pains due to medication increase .

I suppose I just don’t want to push my self yeh my nurse said she didn’t think I should go back to work and if I did and started to not feel well then Iam to stop straight away.

Plus being at home i feel like I’m sat inside worrying bout the world no routine no structure .

Thanks so much for your advice xx

your allowed to work with pip but the dwp in mental health tends to declare you not disabled if you manage to, i never said i agreed with it, it you've got proffessional representation to liase with the dwp a lot nowadays haven't

P

pollypocket88

I didn’t say it was a grey area I was asking Nat what she ment . Yes I know that I can’t get ESA because of my partners income . I have worked and paid my taxes my whole life the last few years my mental health has got worst so I haven’t been able to work thank god for my amazing partner who supports me in every way . I’m not some one who just takes the mick and apply we all have good days and we all have bad days I’m not even saying I’ll be able to go back to work and if I do and can’t only manage 10 hours a week why shouldn’t i get abit of help .

I have never claimed benefit it my life or disability but now is a time where I need it . I mean I could go back to work be ok for a week then have another episode and there Iam set back again I was just asking for advice .

P

pollypocket88

And no I don’t have professional representation I have my medical evidence of the hell of a time I have had due to mental illness I can’t afford legal representation

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
by proffessional representation i included a cpn, wsorking on pip is seem as a step to recovery and full time work, good luck if you fir those criteria

P

pollypocket88

Just because you can work part time doesn’t mean your better maybe to them as I heard they mark you down for every thing . I haven’t been able to work for a very long time I may try part time see how I get on . But I doubt I would last the day . Thanks for your replies and advice . I know pip is very hard to get that’s why I didn’t apply as it was a hard form to fill out my partner helped me . My nurse says I meet the criteria so we shall see what happens . Today my legs and back have been really hurting due to the upper dose of my quatiapine and tonight I’m feeling rather anxious where as this morning I was fine so work could be out the question for a long time it’s just nice to hear other peoples stories and how they deal with stuff

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i know people with partners who work part time and it works out as for me i'd worry the benefits would be cut to motivate me to work full time and on my meds thats a no goer

though when i've visited the job centre they've been understanding, and the scrounger rhetoric pushed by various politicians has now been dropped

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I get pip and have done voluntary work for 10 years and its never caused me a problem. In fact my CPN said it was beneficial to my MH

P

pollypocket88

They don’t understand do they . They thing because you have one good day your ok when that’s not the case . They should encourage people to get back to work but any opportunity but pip is different doesn’t go on what partner earns hence why I applied but it seems like a stressful process

P

pollypocket88

That’s nice to know daffy I might start off volunteering first then it’s on my terms I guess x