• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Apparent competence

firemonkey

firemonkey

Personally speaking this makes a lot of sense.
competence.png

Taken from Borderline personality by John F Clarkin Elsa Marziali, Heather Munroe-Blum.

I can appear competent or even sometimes more than that in certain situations and yet in others it's like i'm floundering in an ocean of high and strong waves without a lifejacket.
An average or above average level of competence displayed in situation A is expected to be the case for situation B as though i am operating at a consistent level in all environments.

In situation A i may be coping well and my high intelligence will be to the fore. In situation B i may be really struggling and if stressful enough high emotionality will replace high intelligence replete with a heady brew of anxiety/paranoia/irrationality /defensiveness/reactiveness/fear etc. 51 and highly intelligent becomes an emotional 5-15 year old. The irrationality being displayed in a highly excitable scatter gun spewing forth of words.

A

Apotheosis

Makes a lot of sense to me too - I identify completely with it.

Q

quality factor

Personally speaking this makes a lot of sense.
competence.png

Taken from Borderline personality by John F Clarkin Elsa Marziali, Heather Munroe-Blum.

I can appear competent or even sometimes more than that in certain situations and yet in others it's like i'm floundering in an ocean of high and strong waves without a lifejacket.
An average or above average level of competence displayed in situation A is expected to be the case for situation B as though i am operating at a consistent level in all environments.

In situation A i may be coping well and my high intelligence will be to the fore. In situation B i may be really struggling and if stressful enough high emotionality will replace high intelligence replete with a heady brew of anxiety/paranoia/irrationality /defensiveness/reactiveness/fear etc. 51 and highly intelligent becomes an emotional 5-15 year old. The irrationality being displayed in a highly excitable scatter gun spewing forth of words.
I too identify with this comment ....I was seen as a very skilful teacher for twenty years until I broke down. Throughout the 20 years out of the classroom I was, and still am, an emotional wreck. Jeckyll and Hyde syndrome.:(

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I can identify with this article also. At work I wear my "mask" and seem to everyone to be in control and completely competent but outside work I can be in pieces.

Q

quality factor

Hi firemonkey, went on to read the whole article that your quote came from and found it extremely interesting. My year has been a total disaster with one crisis after another, yet I 'appear' to keep going, nobody knows the extent of the emotional rollercoaster I have been on. The book indicates that the life of a person with BPD is a continual lurch from one crisis to another...but I got the impression from the book that these 'crises' were often not so great in reality but an over-emotional response to each situation. I know in my heart that my responses have not been over emotional...how does one react to the death of a father that you love dearly?
I feel that if one is receiving treatment for BPD, then the therapist needs to know you extremely well to distinguish between an over emotional reaction and a natural one.
I asked my CPN the other day, how can the prognosis be favourable, if I have got to unlearn behaviour that has been in place for over 40 years.
Her answer was not very positive and has left me feeling depressed nearly all weekend, I have feelings of no hope at the moment.:(