anyone with borderline personality disorder?

J

Jisatsu

How did you get diagnosed/what symptoms was it based on?
What are the symptoms?

D

dark_angel1715

I was recently diagnosed and it was based on my intense and unstable relationships with people. Namely, I can't tolerate even one person disliking me or I raise hell. Then I would unleash my rage on other people, but not the person who don't like me.

maxitab

maxitab

If you look at the DSM and tick each of the criteria, you will see me.....I am classic. My remaining and ongoing difficulty is severe emotional sensitivity, reactivness and getting overwhelmed. This applies to all my emotions, happy, sad, indifferent, and everything in between. Whatever I feel, I feel it intensely to the point of getting lost and swamped.....

J

Jisatsu

So much of this I can relate to.. as much as I hate the some of the facts, they seem to relate to me quite well..
I can't diagnose myself though and I don't think I should bring it up to my Dr or therapists because I can imagine me suggesting a diagnosis would just be ridiculous.. I was just curious.

F

flyingbluebird

i was diagnosed with it age 20 but i had traits of it in childhood and things got bad in my teens with it

F

flyingbluebird

my symptoms

with me it was self-harm, angry and violent outbursts, an inability to handle criticism, manipulationg others so they wouldn't leave me (like threatening to kill myself, telling them i had cancer etc), feeling insecure in my identity and having to attatch myself to a person or idea (any threat of separation from either made me want to hurt myself), anxiety and panic if things didn't go according to plan, inabuility to tolerate stress. feeling empty and lonely, a hollow feeling, overeating and excessive spending , very impulsive, couldn't do anything that i felt was hard work or "boring", being afraid to get close to people, feeling ashamed and wanting to withdraw, but at other times needing to be loved and looked after. craving attention and harming myself in front of others as well as in private to get it, suicidal gestures, getting into debt. oh, and i'd feel so tender if people criticised me it felt like acid was being poured onto my skin and rubbed in.

Last edited:
A

Arachnaprobe

I've been diagnosed with it 2 monts ago, I'm 25 now but looking back I can see the traits of it right back to infancy. I get very stressed out about doing things, or should I say not being able to do things. I get worked up when I go out, small things upset me and make me angry. I've harmed since i was 13. I feel unable to express my feelings.

I've been medicated for 6 years but it was only when my Mind Advocate asked my social worker CPN for me to see the psychiatrist that I was diagnosed. She was very good, she went through a sort of questionnaire with me where I answered very true, slightly true, not very true, very untrue etc.

You could go to your GP and say you are worried about your mental health and talk about the things that worry you, e.g the symptoms of BPD that seem to affect you, and ask if they could refer you to your local adult mental health centre. There you will be able to make a plan with a social worker and ask them if you could see the psychiatrist for a diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

A

afganrose

lost

just been diagnosed with pd and feel worse feel like i have lost all control of my emotions and become extra sensitive. thinling of going on medication but not sure what will help for my anxiety?

Last edited:
A

Arachnaprobe

Citalopram is meant to help with anxiety but its all i've ever been on til now on escitalopram, best bet is to talk things through with your doctor/psychiatrist.

W

Witts

with me it was self-harm, angry and violent outbursts, an inability to handle criticism, manipulationg others so they wouldn't leave me (like threatening to kill myself, telling them i had cancer etc), feeling insecure in my identity and having to attatch myself to a person or idea (any threat of separation from either made me want to hurt myself), anxiety and panic if things didn't go according to plan, inabuility to tolerate stress. feeling empty and lonely, a hollow feeling, overeating and excessive spending , very impulsive, couldn't do anything that i felt was hard work or "boring", being afraid to get close to people, feeling ashamed and wanting to withdraw, but at other times needing to be loved and looked after. craving attention and harming myself in front of others as well as in private to get it, suicidal gestures, getting into debt. oh, and i'd feel so tender if people criticised me it felt like acid was being poured onto my skin and rubbed in.
Very telling, very honest, very brave of you to share.....thankyou x