• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone voices ever went away permanently?

Q

Queenoface

I'm a voice hearer for 5 years now and I just want to know if anyone was successful in making the voices go away? Would like to know how.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi ,i don't hear voices ,im sorry i don't know the answer to your question but i really hope they go away forever for you x Lu x

B

Barksul

I waa told by this chick I used to work with that whatever I hear in my head, is Jesus lol. Nobody has ever heard him speak, so that was a load of crap.

You can hear people's voices that u are familiar with, and even envision, (sp), them speaking to you, and your body will begin to feel their presence.

Q

Queenoface

No you can't hear jesus. People are crazy.

B

Barksul

From my personal experiences, alot of very religious people, or those who want to teach deep, religious meanings and definitions, act out the worst

Funnyday

Funnyday

The longest that I have gone without hearing voices is the time that I went on holiday abroad. Their technology obviously wouldn't work when I left the UK.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Sadly I'm in the same boat as you @Queenoface, I too have been hearing a voice for 5 years.

It claims it simply can't shut up for any reason or incentive I offer it. I can't get any meaningful amount of silence.

I've been ignoring it for as long as I've been on medication which was five years exactly on the 14th of this month.

Thanks to my medications I can handle the constant stream of words but I shouldn't have to, the ideal scenario for me would be my voice learning some semblance of self control and it giving me some meaningful amount of silence each day and perhaps my attitude towards it would improve.

Q

Queenoface

Sorry to hear about your plight. What I will say is, I've somehow figured out a way to gain silence for my self from the voices. How I reached to this point where the voices only speak sporadically, is by medication and taking antipsychotic injections. I use those and like you, I avoid interacting with the voices, so many times I go through the day without hearing from the voices unless i am by myself and then it reappears. But i just asked because this voice seem like it will be here for a while and that is pissing me off because i miss thinking without something answering my thoughts. That's the most annoying part. But for the most part, i am able to function without the voices crippling me like in the past. Those things put me through hell.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Over the years we've had people come to the forums with several ideas on how to block voices.

One member claimed covering various areas of your face with metal like coins or tin foil is enough to block the "signal" beamed to us via satellites, I'm not a subscriber to voices being transmitted to us from an outside source, I believe they're internal and I think his voice was just playing along with his efforts to block it just so he walks around most of his day with his silly looking hat on.

Another member swears by holding ones breath, I tried this and my voice just kept on talking, even if it worked it's not a practical method, I can't get any meaningful amount of silence by holding my breath. Again, I think his voice was just playing along with him just like metal hat man's was.

I believe if there was a sure fire way of stopping voices we'd know about it and it would be universal, but sadly I heard that in only 10% (roughly) of people who use meds do voices ever stop completely and my belief is they're the smart voices that think if they go silent they may not have to suffer the effects of medication for as long. So unless you're one of the lucky ones with a clever voice then learning to cope is the only way forward.

One of my sayings is "voices, they either make us or break us" and I've seen both happen during my time as a hearer. I've seen people become much more than what they used to be, stronger, wiser and more compassionate just like myself but I've also lost people to voices, I wish it was easy to teach people how to deal with voices but at the end of the day they have to find the strength from within themselves.

Q

Queenoface

Yeah I've heard of the covering the head method. And those methods are pretty outlandish but I just decided to share what gives me peace in hope of helping someone, it's not a must try. But like you said, if they found a way to stop it, we would have known by now. But injections really help me and I'm thankful for that.

N

natalie

My voices, and I used to travel on holiday/vacation a lot with mum and dad, and b rother came with in the earlier years, were american, of a certain t ype of american, and years later, the voices, or paranoia/intrusive thougihts, only dissappeared with the right medication and dose.

They haven't and apart from the odd intruisve t houghts, here and there, haven't returned.

And I do listen to music also.

Q

Queenoface

Oh that is good to know and it gives me hope. Everytime I think of ways to eliminate this voice for good, it always says things like "all you try to do is get rid of me" and I just ignore. This thing is seriously hellish to live with.

N

natalie

On this basis, may I ask, are you not taking mediciation for the voices, because medication would then help positively to keep the voices down, and at bay?

Q

Queenoface

Yes I use medication but for some reason the voices tend to get worst and I notice that's when I am stressed and that's often. So I am doing my best to keep my stress levels at a certain level to avoid the voices resurfacing.