• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone tried St Jon Wort

N

NrLondonGuy

Anyone tried this for anxiety - am desperate to avoid meds.

B

betfry

No i haven't but im really not one for the whole homeopathic shebang ;)

tbh I think it wouldn't be AS effective as drugs and therapy, but try it, it might work for you :) might as well try it right

But why are you desperate to avoid meds?They're to help you not hurt you. They're not so scary :) just a little extra help. I think theres a stigma attached to drugs- you're "weak" if you "submit" to medication, not so!

I'd say counselling/therapy is your best bet, or just talking with friends. I can't talk because im terrible at that though haha.

Good luck x

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Again I've not tried it myself, but it might be worth a go if you really don't want conventional meds. One word of warning, if you do start taking conventional meds then you can't take St. Johns Wort as well, they don't mix.

N

NrLondonGuy

But why are you desperate to avoid meds?They're to help you not hurt you. They're not so scary :) just a little extra help. I think theres a stigma attached to drugs- you're "weak" if you "submit" to medication said:
Thanks - my fear of medicaiton comes frmo being on them for the last 6 years!!! I did not get adequate support from dr's for sideffects so am afriad of sideeffects although can admit as an OCD sufferer it has become an obsessional thing.

to summarise: 4 years on olanzapinea nd 4.5 stone weight gain. I used to be quite a handsome guy I think (woud post a photo of me younger but bit shy) and medication is counteractive if you feel like shooting yoruself verytime you look in the mirror and feel you'll never get a nice girlfriend. (not being shallow)

Clomipromine: Made me severely suicidal (like was going to throw myself in front of a car just to make the feelign go away). Was so mind altering as well that been scared to try an SSRI since and felt rather suffer and feel myself at
end of day.

Sulpiride: severe loss of libido and increased anxiety- to me its an important part of life

Seroquel XL - worst of teh worst - severely suicidal, very anxious (undescribably anxiety), caused aggraphobia as well. I complained to crisis line almost every night and doctors did NOTHING for 1.5 months. They have acknowledged this was neglet and something was only done when I emailed a suicide note to complaints department of PCT saying if knowone advised me how to come off drugs I may be deadin 24 hrs. They acted very quickly then and had PCT's most senior pych calling CMHT to advice them on how to get me off it next day. As soon as I came off suicidal feelings and THAT anxiety went. (and so did aggrophobic symptoms) Had I kown I woudl have taken myself off them but dr's convinced me over last 5 years that I need drugs and I was scared I would become evern worst with out them and end up dead. I havea complaint in teh system which iwll be taken up when I am better.

SO yup I am afraid of drugs. However what makes me afriad is that if I get horrible side effects I be be neglected again. Rational side tell s me after what ahappened with seroquel they won't let that happen again. I have very bad anxiety at moment so will have an appointment with pych soon to discuss a med. This time I will discuss if thoroughly and have a plan to come off it myself without waintg 1.5 months if unbearable reaction. I am actaully on lorazepam and zopicolne at mo and they help. Now I am scared of weight gain and other things as loosing loads of weight again and want to be handsom again - ots important to me!!!!

Anyway ranting on here. If anyone reads this please don't be put off medications. They do help poeple enourmously if yo get teh right one and can be life chanign for some. Just be aware of sifeffects and make sure you get right attention/advice if they are bad. Also don't be put off my any specific medicaiotns I mentioned above. What can be life changing for better for oen person can be hell for another. We are all different so find one that helps you and if sideeffects make sure you discuss these with dr and that tey do something and don't neglet like i was.

Last edited:
L

Lady Summer Isles

Thanks - my fear of medicaiton comes frmo being on them for the last 6 years!!! I did not get adequate support from dr's for sideffects so am afriad of sideeffects although can admit as an OCD sufferer it has become an obsessional thing.

to summarise: 4 years on olanzapinea nd 4.5 stone weight gain. I used to be quite a handsome guy I think (woud post a photo of me younger but bit shy) and medication is counteractive if you feel like shooting yoruself verytime you look in the mirror and feel you'll never get a nice girlfriend. (not being shallow)

Clomipromine: Made me severely suicidal (like was going to throw myself in front of a car just to make the feelign go away). Was so mind altering as well that been scared to try an SSRI since and felt rather suffer and feel myself at
end of day.

Sulpiride: severe loss of libido and increased anxiety- to me its an important part of life

Seroquel XL - worst of teh worst - severely suicidal, very anxious (undescribably anxiety), caused aggraphobia as well. I complained to crisis line almost every night and doctors did NOTHING for 1.5 months. They have acknowledged this was neglet and something was only done when I emailed a suicide note to complaints department of PCT saying if knowone advised me how to come off drugs I may be deadin 24 hrs. They acted very quickly then and had PCT's most senior pych calling CMHT to advice them on how to get me off it next day. As soon as I came off suicidal feelings and THAT anxiety went. (and so did aggrophobic symptoms) Had I kown I woudl have taken myself off them but dr's convinced me over last 5 years that I need drugs and I was scared I would become evern worst with out them and end up dead. I havea complaint in teh system which iwll be taken up when I am better.

SO yup I am afraid of drugs. However what makes me afriad is that if I get horrible side effects I be be neglected again. Rational side tell s me after what ahappened with seroquel they won't let that happen again. I have very bad anxiety at moment so will have an appointment with pych soon to discuss a med. This time I will discuss if thoroughly and have a plan to come off it myself without waintg 1.5 months if unbearable reaction. I am actaully on lorazepam and zopicolne at mo and they help. Now I am scared of weight gain and other things as loosing loads of weight again and want to be handsom again - ots important to me!!!!

Anyway ranting on here. If anyone reads this please don't be put off medications. They do help poeple enourmously if yo get teh right one and can be life chanign for some. Just be aware of sifeffects and make sure you get right attention/advice if they are bad. Also don't be put off my any specific medicaiotns I mentioned above. What can be life changing for better for oen person can be hell for another. We are all different so find one that helps you and if sideeffects make sure you discuss these with dr and that tey do something and don't neglet like i was.
Completely understand about the weight gain and how it makes u feel. I've gained 3 stone:( . Have had lots of side effects with various drugs now on mirtazapine, risperidone, propranolol, diazepam and zopiclone:confused:
Would like to try St johns and indeed have bought a box but was told not to take them with the mirtazapine and that they wouldn't be strong enough anyway. Speak to gp and see what they say.
Hugs
T:hug:

C

crazygal78

I tried it years ago.Not much luck.I have heard fish oil with Omega 3's can really help though.

J

JAMES10

St. Jon wort et al

St. John's Wart is an herbal treatment for mild to moderate depression. This herb, commonly considered a weed in America, has a similar effect on the neurotransmitters in the brain as doctor prescribed anti-depressants. For women, there have been reports of St. John's Wart effecting birth control medication.

I swear by exercise rather than things like St. Jon wort which all tamper with the brain! Exercise releases endorphins to improve your current mental state, relieves anxiety and improves sleep patterns. Exercise, in conjunction with other natural treatments for depression, can help control and stabilize your mood and temperament by reducing stress.

Good luck

S

skyblue

St. John's Wart is an herbal treatment for mild to moderate depression. This herb, commonly considered a weed in America, has a similar effect on the neurotransmitters in the brain as doctor prescribed anti-depressants. For women, there have been reports of St. John's Wart effecting birth control medication.

I swear by exercise rather than things like St. Jon wort which all tamper with the brain! Exercise releases endorphins to improve your current mental state, relieves anxiety and improves sleep patterns. Exercise, in conjunction with other natural treatments for depression, can help control and stabilize your mood and temperament by reducing stress.

Good luck
I agree with you, exercise is the best natural therapy of all. It's just ashame the effects only last a couple of hours afterwards, I then feel the need for that natural mellow effect again, it can become quite addictive. It works so well for me, I try and get down the gym everyday now.

Like NrLondonguy, I too am looking for a combination of natural therapies; exercise being one, aromatherapy oils, I'm going to sign up for a yoga class soon, Accupuncture, vitamins and more.

I haven't tried St Johns Wart NrLondonGuy, because it will counteract with the pill in which i'm taking.

But it's all worth a go.

I hope it works for you.:flowers:

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Unfortunately exercise doesn't work much for me. When I started exercising about a month ago using exercise DVDs (and I started with a very easy low-impact one) I was exercising every day. I felt pleased that I was doing something but it didn't really improve my mood, and I would sit around for an hour or two after as I felt totally exhausted. Anyway about 2 weeks in I got to the stage where I could barely walk, my legs and knees were hurting so much, joint pain rather than muscle pain, so I eased off a bit to give myself a rest. Then I would find myself crying while I was exercising because I felt so useless. In the end I gave up but I feel a total failure.

I know I should try something like walking, but I don't like going out much any more, certainly not on my own which I am most of the time during the day.