• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone tried Quertiapine (Seroquel) ?? Could Psychiatrist make mistrake??

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Anyone tried Quertiapine (Seroquel) ?? Could Psychiatrist make mistrake??

Hi people,

Im abit confused, last week when i saw my pshyciatrist who diagnosed me with bipolar 2, he said he would prescribe me a mood stabalizer called carbamazapine and an anti depressant.

Today i went to my GP for the prescription and the letter from the psychiatrist said to take the carbamazapine as agreed but with an anti psychotic called Quertiapine (Seroquel). ???

Now ive come away feelin abit upset, cause i get more depressed than high and i only get hypermania and not full mania, so i cant understand why he has said the anti psychotics??

Do you think this is a mistake?? I didnt get the prescription, im gonna ring them tomorrow cause he deffo said any anti depressant.

Has anyone used this drug before or know if it is also used for depression cause when ive looked on the net it says its used for Mania and Schitsophenia (sorry cant spell it)...

Im confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I take 300mg of Quetiapine. I also have Bipolar type 2. If there is anything you are unhappy/uncertain about have a chat with your psychiatrist/GP.

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

I'm on Seroquel as well, I was a bit shocked when I was put on it, but after speaking to my psych and looking at the instructions on the packet, I realised they're used to stabalise the moods for people with bi-polar and to decrease anxiety, and also to aid sleep.

Emily.x

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Thanks Guys,

Maybe it is right then.. Ive left a message for my Psych's sectretary to call me back.

Thanks for the replys.. This forum is great. I would of just worried about that untill i got a call back...

xxxxxxxxx:grouphug:

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

I take 300mg of Quetiapine. I also have Bipolar type 2. If there is anything you are unhappy/uncertain about have a chat with your psychiatrist/GP.
:oops: forgot to ask you both, as you have bipolar 2 like me.. (y)
Do you take this alone or with another medication?

T

Thalia

hi I take venlafaxine and quatispine in the evening for bipolar. It actually helps me sleep better and reduces the manic episodes. Iv been on it for 18 mnths. Hope this helps!

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

:oops: forgot to ask you both, as you have bipolar 2 like me.. (y)
Do you take this alone or with another medication?
Hi Lynnie Quetiapine is the only medication I currently take however the psychiatrist is possibly going to add an anti-depressant to that at my review next month.

Lupus Albus

Lupus Albus

Hi Lynnie. Its perfectly normal to be prescribed an antipsychotic for depression symptoms, just as it is normal to be prescribed antidepressants to treat insomnia.

Harad x

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

OH MY GOD!! :eek:

I started to take these (Seroquel) last night... I took 2 x 25mg at 6pm.. By 6:30pm i was KO'd in bed and i didnt wake up till 7am this morning all confused!! :mad:

I am meant to take 2 during the day aswell but i cant take them if they do that to me. I work in an office! Imagine me fallin asleep at my desk, completly out of it.. :sleep:

Will this pass when my body gets used to them or do they do this all the time???

jax

jax

I was zonked when I first went on seroquel. I think I was put on 50 mg twice a day. I could not keep my eyes open. The eventually increased it until I was on 900 mgs. I have to say that for about a year - I was comatose. I sat in the day hospital every day with my head in my hand and my eyes closed. I think I my response was extreme. Seroquel is a very sedating drug. I hope that you manage to keep awake once you get used to it.
Cripes - I have just noticed you said you work. Not sure what to say there - if you continue to have these problems - you may want to ask for a change of medicine. BTW I do take all 900 mgs at bed.
Jacqui

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Yeh thats what they have put me on.. 50mg twice a day.

There is no way i am takin them durin the day at work.. I took 50mg again last night and same happened again. Totally knowcked out and in bed by half 6, slept straight through to this morning.

Feel dead groggy and dizzy at work, and keep forgettin things.

Im goin to see my Psyciatrist at half 3 today so gonna have to tell him i cant function while takin them...

Thanks for replyin to me xx

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

I was zonked when I first went on seroquel. I think I was put on 50 mg twice a day. I could not keep my eyes open. The eventually increased it until I was on 900 mgs. I have to say that for about a year - I was comatose. I sat in the day hospital every day with my head in my hand and my eyes closed. I think I my response was extreme. Seroquel is a very sedating drug. I hope that you manage to keep awake once you get used to it.
Cripes - I have just noticed you said you work. Not sure what to say there - if you continue to have these problems - you may want to ask for a change of medicine. BTW I do take all 900 mgs at bed.
Jacqui
Cripes! I just noticed that you said you take 900mg!!! :eek:
Sod that!!! I cant even handle 50mg!! xxx

ellamental

ellamental

Founding Member
Hi there :tea:
this may be a bit late in the day but thought I would just touch base, say Hi..as I havnt been on here for ages and explain about the quetiapine. I guess everone is deifferent but I think it wipes you out for the first few days but your body does adjust eventually. That saud 900mg is probably the max strength anyone would ever be prescribed and am guessing it was increased over a number of years in this case.

I have bipolar II and beg march went onto quetiapine (has a street value and is called suzie Q so it is pretty srong stuff). I am on 100mg and take this at 9 pm every night and by ten I am zonked until the morning. I regularly sleep for ten hours now. Before quetiapine insomnia had been the biggest problem for me. I am still a bit loopy but without sleep I am a nightmare (either when manic or when depressed). What quetiapine seems to do for me is knock off the edges so the highs are less and the lows are less low and I feel the most well balanced I have ever in my life felt now. I dont think I would be able to cope taking them in the day as well because they do act like a sleeping tablet as well as a mood stabilizer. i was concerned when my psychiatrist said it was an anti psychotic but she explained that studies at oxford university psych dept had noted a lot of success especially for women with bipolar II using this drug so am glad now I followed this path.

I have a friend who has Borderline Personality Disorder and is also on them. he takes 50 mg each night, also an hour before he goes to bed and he sleeps for exactly the same time as me...so I guess it depends on what your insomnia was like in the first place and you may have to play about a little with the amount to find what suits you personally. Unlike antidepressants you can do this and you dont have the coming on and off them slowly thing to consider.

They are not supposed to be as strong as respirodone but respiridone doesnt seem to work as well as quetiapine. The carbamazapine I have not heard fab things about but again everyone is different .

Sorry to have prattled on forever and hope this helps a bit..its just my experience, nothing more.
take care
Ellamental:)

jax

jax

I was put on 800 mgs over a period of a month and half. It was not increased over years. 800mg was the max dose back then in 2005. I was then placed on another 100 mgs about a year ago to the 900 mgs.
Jacqui

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Hey thanks for all the replys.. Ive since seen my psych and told him i cant manage 50mg in the day and 50 mg at night. I cant even handle 50mg at night.

Hes told me to just take 25mg at 9pm. This is ok but feel really sick in the mornin and vision is goin blurry. I also get a numb tongue and lips but i guess these will go after my body gets used to them. I also take 400mg of carbamazapine at 9pm too.

Just have to take each day as it comes i suppose.. :unsure: