• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone taking Mirtazapine?

anxietycat

anxietycat

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone else has been prescribed Mirtazapine? I'm on 45mg / day. It seemed to be helping for a while, but now my panic attacks have come back with a vengeance :-(.

Is anyone taking it? How are you finding it? Does it stop working after a while?

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yes i was on that drug but it didnt do me any good, now im on mood staberlisers..

muddlemummy

muddlemummy

I take 45mg too, along with 40mg citalopram for depression. They haven't done much for my anxiety though so my psych recently added pregabalin which touch wood does seem to be helping the anxiety.

Wendy

Wendy

Hi there yes I take mirtazapine think it's an antidepressant doesn't seem to do that much,but can make you a bit sleepy.

H

holben1003

the Californian rocket!!

Hi,

In May 2007, I had an emotional breakdown and ended up resigning from my £25k a year job as a trainee loss adjuster. I am 37 years old, am happily married with two young children, who were 2 and 4 years of age at the time.

You could say my whole world fell apart. To cut a very long story short......

......my psychiarist diagnosed me with dystymia, a personality disorder and initially prescribed me mirtazapine on an initial dose of 30mg, as I was suffering with social anxiety. I remained on this dose for 7 months, but did not really see any improvement. I still suffered with the social anxiety and general low mood and found it very difficult to be around people in general.

When things didn't improve, my mirtazapine dose was increased to 45mg, but a new tablet as introduced. Venlafaxine, otherwise known as "the Californian Rocket", was introduced at a dose of 100mg and withing 2-3 weeks, the improvement as unbelievable. I started to become more confident and I can honestly say for the first time in my life, I have finally accepted who I am and really don't now care what people think of me.

After all, I am who I am and I am not going to lose another moment's sleep, worrying about things that I cannot control(i.e.- oher peoples thoughts).

Having never ever had any confidence in myself before, this combination of drugs has had a huge effect on my life for the better.

So much so, that since being on them, which is only 18 months ago, I feel like I can do anything that I really set my mind to. I have set up my own business, exporting antique furniture abroard, have just found out my wife is expecting our 3rd child and I have decided that we need to live in a bigger house and have just put ours on the market.

I would recommend anyone who is on mirtazapine who thinks they are not making any progress, to discuss with their psychiatrist the option of introducing venlafaxine in to the mix.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

When things didn't improve, my mirtazapine dose was increased to 45mg, but a new tablet as introduced. Venlafaxine, otherwise known as "the Californian Rocket", was introduced at a dose of 100mg and withing 2-3 weeks, the improvement as unbelievable. I started to become more confident and I can honestly say for the first time in my life, I have finally accepted who I am and really don't now care what people think of me.
I was changed from citalopram to venlafaxine a little while back and never found it to work for me, despite hiking it up after the 1st month from 75mg to 150mg, then again to 225mg. I was also experiencing a lot of anxiety so have now gone back to citalopram + diazepam.

What I'm trying to say is that different meds work differently for different people.

anxietycat

anxietycat

Thanks for the responses. I already feel a bit better having found this forum - less trapped in a scary place all by myself.

I'm going back to the doctor's next week so I guess they may add a new antidepressant to the mix. They keep suggesting 'counseling' but my instinct is that sitting down with someone for an hour a week telling them why life is meaningless & that I'm obsessed with death is probably going to make me feel worse not better.

The Mirtazapine on its own used to be able to at least send me to sleep. But now I'm sitting here on the computer, in the dark, with my Winter coat on (my partner is asleep & the heating's not on)! And yes - I do feel very foolish :redface:! But every time I lay down to sleep I have a panic attack about death.

:rolleyes: Even I think I'm silly, but nasty thoughts shoot like arrows into my 'just about to fall asleep' mind. Maybe my partner believes I 'make myself' ill with these panic attacks, but I really don't think the scary thoughts deliberately. They come unbidden.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Thanks for the responses. I already feel a bit better having found this forum - less trapped in a scary place all by myself.

I'm going back to the doctor's next week so I guess they may add a new antidepressant to the mix. They keep suggesting 'counseling' but my instinct is that sitting down with someone for an hour a week telling them why life is meaningless & that I'm obsessed with death is probably going to make me feel worse not better.

The Mirtazapine on its own used to be able to at least send me to sleep. But now I'm sitting here on the computer, in the dark, with my Winter coat on (my partner is asleep & the heating's not on)! And yes - I do feel very foolish :redface:! But every time I lay down to sleep I have a panic attack about death.

:rolleyes: Even I think I'm silly, but nasty thoughts shoot like arrows into my 'just about to fall asleep' mind. Maybe my partner believes I 'make myself' ill with these panic attacks, but I really don't think the scary thoughts deliberately. They come unbidden.
Hey there, no need to feel foolish or silly. Counselling does and can help/work, but personally it all depends if your open to the idea that it might work. For some ppl taking the drugs is more important and for others its a combination of both.

For me i take mood staberlisers and i was in counselling- and for me its good to talk. But only to a selective few. IE the professionals lol

:scared::p:clap:

keepsafe

keepsafe

I was on Mertazapine, sertraline and an anti psychotic - I can;t say that it did me any good. I am now on Venlafaxine and a new anti psychotic and that mix works better I think?
We all do react differently to different meds though so what is good for one may not be of any help to another - if they are in fact any help at all as some would say.

Hope you find it works for you

KS

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm on mirtazapine 45mg.I can't say it's helped my depression much.

Sally Cinamon

Sally Cinamon

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone else has been prescribed Mirtazapine? I'm on 45mg / day. It seemed to be helping for a while, but now my panic attacks have come back with a vengeance :-(.

Is anyone taking it? How are you finding it? Does it stop working after a while?
Hi Anxiety Cat, I took Mirtazapine for 18 months with Lithium, after 6 months the dose was increased to 45mg and I finally came out of a crippling suicidal catatonic depression. I did however make some life changes around the same time so cant be sure if it was time for the depression to finally lift or if the increased dose gave me the lift I needed.
Either way, my CMHT nurse did explain that they did not like people on the highest dose of 45mg for a prolonged period, as if you are on your max dose, you have no where "to go", if increase is required...this certianly makes good sense.
Psych drugs are an art form, not a science. At the end of the day your doc is essentially experimenting with you as he/she have no real way of knowing how a drug will effect an individual, we all react differently to different drugs. I would say be cautious, if a drug (e.g. Venlafaxine) has been helpful for someone else, it may not be suitable for you & may not be a miracle cure.
Psych drugs work in various different ways depending on which group they belong to. In essence their primary aim is to dull the senses so that the mental trauma being experienced is not felt as much.
It may be that your brain has got used to the effect of Mirtazapine and is no longer effective. You have "no where to go" as in incresing your dose. If you change meds, your brain will have to cope with withdrawal from the effects of Mirtazapine & it could take some weeks for the new drug to kick in. Unfortunatly all this may lead to instability, which you are already experiencing.
Alternativley if you add Venlafaxine "to the mix" on top of Mirtazapine, you may find yourself on a slippery slope. There is a fair amount of testimony to the fact that taking mixtures of Psych drugs is not only unbeneficial, but harmful & the prognosis for recovery is not increased.
If someone is taking an antidepressant & they are experiencing panic attacks/anxiety something is NOT right. These drugs should be helping you!!!
Out of interest, have you been on Mirtazapine/antideps for long? These drugs should in theory only be prescribed as a short term measure...
My apologies, I have digressed slightly. Mirtazapine, as I said may have helped me, once I had felt better for a few months I started to reduce as advised. I fianally came off it. My Nurse told me that "M" is prescribed to people who also have trouble sleeping as on top of it being an anti-dep, it also has a tranquilising effect...thus explaining why I frequently fell asleep on the sofa of an evening. It also used to make me snore!! This has stopped now too. My sex drive has come back, my keen wit, I laugh out loud again & I feel relaxed & truly happy. In fact the difference I felt in myslelf when I was finally free of "M" was amazing!
So that's my story (well one of them anyway!) Sorry for rambling, once I started I couldn't stop. Hope I have been of some help.:hug:

A

autmum

I've only been on mirtazapine for a few weeks but going to start tapering off tonight due to massive panic and flu like symptoms. The only pills that help are benzo's and due to 'addiction' problems (I came off them after many years, both diazepam and xanax) - cannot have them, despite them being a life saver (I have seizures/muscles get 'stuck' during panic) I am housebound, tried most therapy, been this way since a child, emetophobic too. Mirtazapine making panic attacks much worse. The worst withdrawals I ever had were from seroxat. I don't understand the benzo-hate. I had very few withdrawals from disapam but had a bad time withdrawing from xanax. I'd do it again for the relief they bring.