• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone taking an antipsychotic?

Amazingly

Amazingly

I need to be on mood stabilizers and an antipsychotic to help stabilize my mood.
I am currently on Risperdal for mood stabilization and to ward off psychosis when I become full blown manic.
Anyone else taking an antipsychotic right now?
I’ve been on an AP for years now.

U

Underdog21

I need to be on mood stabilizers and an antipsychotic to help stabilize my mood.
I am currently on Risperdal for mood stabilization and to ward off psychosis when I become full blown manic.
Hello,

What dose of anti-psychotic are you on? I also take 4 mg of Risperidone and have been for over 4 years and Lithium 800 mg for 7 months. After a while the anti psychotic has become ineffective in treating my mood. So they added lithium.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Hi @Underdog21
I too am on 4mg of Risperdal.
I am also on Depakote and Lamictal.

N

natalie

Hi Folks,/Hi All,

I'm Natalie in London, England, UK,

I take antisphycotic, Abilify otherwise known, as Aripapzol. I mainly take for my szchioaffective/szchiophrenia problems, not necessarily - Bipolar. Also, Bipolar was mentioned/asked to the doctor, I haven't been officially medically diagnosed as having Bipolar.

Amazingly

Amazingly

How are you finding depakote and lamictal? I suffer from mixed episodes in Bipolar.
Depakote is an excellent med for mixed episodes.
I get mixed episodes all the time.
Lamictal is good for depressive episodes mainly.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Hi Folks,/Hi All,

I'm Natalie in London, England, UK,

I take antisphycotic, Abilify otherwise known, as Aripapzol. I mainly take for my szchioaffective/szchiophrenia problems, not necessarily - Bipolar. Also, Bipolar was mentioned/asked to the doctor, I haven't been officially medically diagnosed as having Bipolar.
Hi @natalie
I’ve also been diagnosed with schizoaffective a few times in the past.
There’s not much difference between bipolar disorder with psychotic features and schizoaffective disorder.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m on Lithium and Invega Sustenna.

FallingLeaves

FallingLeaves

I've been on Aripirozol before but it turned me into a living zombie, so I knocked that on the head.

Now I take Rispiridone and I feel like it balances me out nicely. I would recommend it.

Good luck out there folks, experimenting with medications can be a real trial and error.

x

T

Traveler5

I've been on Aripirozol before but it turned me into a living zombie, so I knocked that on the head.

Now I take Rispiridone and I feel like it balances me out nicely. I would recommend it.

Good luck out there folks, experimenting with medications can be a real trial and error.

x
FallingLeaves, how milligrams of Risperidone do you take, and are you Bipolar 1 or 2?

FallingLeaves

FallingLeaves

Hey @Traveler5 I'm actually not officially diagnosed with Bipolar at all, I was just jumping on the discussion about meds. I do suspect I have it though.

I have complex PTSD among other things. Sometimes these look like Bipolar so it can be hard to distinguish.

I am taking 4mg of Risperidone daily at night. It has helped me get back on an even keel and be less of the crashing 'ups and downs'.

How are you finding it?

T

Traveler5

Hi FallingLeaves - Thanks for responding. I take 2mg of Risperidone at night for supposed Bipolar 2. It seems like most people here on the forum, who are on Risperidone, take 4mg. I seem to be doing just fine on 2mg -- and it helps. I say "supposed" because I'm not convinced I'm Bipolar even though I've had three doctors tell me that I am. I also have ADHD/ADD and a lot of the symptoms of both disorders are very similar. I don't doubt the ADHD diagnosis but question whether the doctors are confusing my ADHD symptoms with Bipolar 2 symptoms. They do say, though, that I have other symptoms that indicate BP 2 so I guess I take their word for it -- They're the experts. But I still wonder because if I have it it's a mild case of BP 2. My depression isn't very severe (I take Lamictal for that and it really helps) and my Hypomania, if you can call it that for me, isn't at the levels of the Hypomania that I read about for BP 2. So, that's my story. Thanks for listening/reading all of this.

Kotter

Kotter

Geodon and Prolixin work for me, and don't cause a lot of weight gain.