• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone taking 45 mg of mirtazapine, upped from 30mg?

M

Mel d

Hi, I have been on the upped dose of 45mg for 4 days and i know its not enough time to see if it makes any difference from the 30mg but I have just caught a sore throat and cold /flu, so I feel terrible and I don't know whether I can cope with the drowsiness during the day but I am sleeping well on it. My doctor says try it for a week if no difference then drop down to 30mg,I asked her about withdrawal symptoms but she says it has none. Has anyone tolerated the 45mg and if so has it made much difference to the 30mg.
Thanks

Skunx

Skunx

My dosage was upped to 45mg about a month ago and it has really made a difference with my day to day moods but I still get those few days where I go back to that horrible pressure in my chest and shots of panicky anxiety, previous to the mirtazapine I was given so many other anti-depressants with little or no success so I'm sticking with the mirtazapine for now as it is helping (with a lot of will power too mind). My eating is still up and down but that is more down to my own fear of gaining weight, my sleeping is still as erratic as ever but I occasionally take zopiclone (prescribed of course) if I've had a few days with no sleep. I hope the mirtazapine works for you like it is for me just now and never be frightened to ask your doctor for additional help.
All the best and I hope you feel better soon.

W

Wednesdaysgirl

I have to say mirap seems to have the best outcomes I have ever come across in an anti depressant. It causes a lot of weight gain unfortunately but it's a low price to pay

N

Nuke

Hello, I have been on 30mg of mirtazapine for a month and it is pooping out because I am crying and feeling low again. My gp didn't want to up the dose because I had restless arms, knee joint pains dizziness and chest pain in the first week of upping from 15-30mg. Has anyone been on this dosage with long term success, or can you tell me if you can still sleep,eat and put weight on with the higher dose?
Thanks
I have been on 45 mg of Mirtazapine for a couple of months. I am starting to wean down though. It was causing extreme dry mouth and throat, and was also changing how I was experiencing the taste and temperature of food. I cut down to 30 mg for the last 2 days, and these undesirable side effects have decreased. May go down another notch to 15 mg, but will have to discuss that with the doc: I know stopping abruptly is not wise. I did gain weight, but it was also the holidays.

S

Solicitate

Hello, I have been on 30mg of mirtazapine for a month and it is pooping out because I am crying and feeling low again. My gp didn't want to up the dose because I had restless arms, knee joint pains dizziness and chest pain in the first week of upping from 15-30mg. Has anyone been on this dosage with long term success, or can you tell me if you can still sleep,eat and put weight on with the higher dose?
Thanks
Hello!

I’ve been recently upped to 45mg mirtazapine after taking 15mg, I found they helped me to fall asleep but not actually sleep very well. In regards to weight loss or gain, I rarely eat where I’m in the hospitality industry, so I replaced a lot of the food urges by drinking huel. Which had replaced 2 of 3 meals a day. If you’re worried about weight it’s maybe worth looking into? Of course everyone is different.

A

Alladyn1919

Hi, my doctor also told me that 45mg was the maximum dose, Im due to see the gp today to discuss the meds, I am disappointed with the higher dose side effects, I thought I read that you get less side effects with a higher dose.
It's quite annoying as I was doing so well on the 30 mg and then my stomach pains started it just freaked me out with taking other meds that I expect that I was not getting the full benefit of mirtazapine, because I read the ingredients of my other meds and two of them have some sort of histamines as does mirtazapine.
Also is the 45mg more stimulating then the 30mg?
Thanks

Don't know if you read my post about that paradoxical reaction ,the more you take the less side effects you get, but I was referring only to the drowsiness, sedation, something like that, I don't remember much but I doubt if such side effect as sensitivity to light, weight gain, etc were better with higher dose, they were probably worse.Besides even for this sedation there is maybe the best optimal dose which may be different for each person.For sb it may be 30mg, for sb let's say 37,45, maybe more etc, or maybe even less than 30mg.after which that sedation becomes worse or even much worseI remember trying 60 mg one time (kind of experiment) and felt less functional than on that 45mg, so there is probably alimit to that paradox.
Anyway, are you taking brand remeron or generic?I don't know about remeron, I always took original, but with lexapro it was a difference.I had to take about 1/3 more to get the similar benefit and even then I think the original was at least slightly better, so it's maybe the case with remeron, don't know.

Alladyn1919

J

Jono

Hi, I'm on 45mg and have been for many years. It doesn't help me sleep and I have put a lot of weight on - 3 stone. They did try and reduce me down again at one point but I became more unwell again, so they put it back up and several months ago put me on Venlefaxine as well. I do wish I'd never started any drugs to be honest. Did feel dizzy with it at first but it passed after a couple of weeks. It's been the only antidepressant that really suits me. Hope you get on ok.
xxx
Does it make you feel sedated all day as I’m on 30mg and find it difficult to get up in the morning if at all?

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Venlafaxine is a nightmare to come off so be warned!
m

J

Jono

Has anyone suffered nausea with mirtazapine

J

Jono

Hi, I have been on the upped dose of 45mg for 4 days and i know its not enough time to see if it makes any difference from the 30mg but I have just caught a sore throat and cold /flu, so I feel terrible and I don't know whether I can cope with the drowsiness during the day but I am sleeping well on it. My doctor says try it for a week if no difference then drop down to 30mg,I asked her about withdrawal symptoms but she says it has none. Has anyone tolerated the 45mg and if so has it made much difference to the 30mg.
Thanks
Have you ever suffered from nausea due to mirtazapine