• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Anyone taking 45 mg of mirtazapine, upped from 30mg?

M

Mel d

Hello, I have been on 30mg of mirtazapine for a month and it is pooping out because I am crying and feeling low again. My gp didn't want to up the dose because I had restless arms, knee joint pains dizziness and chest pain in the first week of upping from 15-30mg. Has anyone been on this dosage with long term success, or can you tell me if you can still sleep,eat and put weight on with the higher dose?
Thanks

L

Lady Summer Isles

Hi, I'm on 45mg and have been for many years. It doesn't help me sleep and I have put a lot of weight on - 3 stone. They did try and reduce me down again at one point but I became more unwell again, so they put it back up and several months ago put me on Venlefaxine as well. I do wish I'd never started any drugs to be honest. Did feel dizzy with it at first but it passed after a couple of weeks. It's been the only antidepressant that really suits me. Hope you get on ok.
xxx

J

jamesdean

I have been on mirtazapine 45mg for quite a few years and I find that it helps me sleep,most of the time,I think all meds cause the weight gain. JD

M

Mel d

Hi, I took my 45 mg last night and I had stomachache all night with nausea and I had no sleep at all my anxiety this morning with heart palpitations has been awful, so I don't know whether to go back to the 30mg because I slept well on it and had the munchies in the evening the only reason they upped the dose was because I was crying in the mornings due to my stomach ache which they think is anxiety related but I don't know I have it every morning when I wake up and it usually disappears in the afternoon.
I have no motivation at all.
Has anyone else had this problem before?

J

jamesdean

I am sorry to hear that Mel d,perhaps like you say you are best suited to the 30mg,those munchies sound nice, maybe they should try to find the cause of your tummy upset, take care JD

M

Mel d

I am sorry to hear that Mel d,perhaps like you say you are best suited to the 30mg,those munchies sound nice, maybe they should try to find the cause of your tummy upset, take care JD.

Hi, JD, Thank you for your reply, I have had blood tests and ultrasounds on all my organs and they have come back ok, the doctor thinks it is anxiety related because what happens is I wake up feel ok eat a weetabix then as I become more awake the stomachache starts but disappears mid afternoon. One doctor thought it could be a stomach ulcer because sometimes there was a burning sensation she gave me ranitadine for it which helped a little but made my depression worse. I have taken dihydrocodene for it which helps a little but it bungs you up so you have to take something for that.

J

jamesdean

Hi Mel d,I was on dihydrocodene and Iknow exactly whot you mean, could they not give you something for the anxiety such has abilify this helps me in the mornings. JD

M

Mel d

Hi, the doctors haven't said they would give me something for anxiety.
I decided to try the 45 mg one more time last night and 15 mins after taking it I felt terrible, the nausea was bad, my limbs ached, numb lips and another sleepless night. I think the meds could be to strong for me so I might go back to 30 mg, I slept well on it.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

It sounds like mirtazapine doesn't suit you particularly well, have you thought about asking the doc for something different? There's no point carrying on with 30mg if it doesn't do the job and it sounds like 45mg doesn't agree with you. There are so many others out there that might do the job better, don't put up with feeling rubbish.

A

a1jonuk

Hi,
I am on 60mg mertazapine and have been for a long time, I take the 2 tablets together at night time.
I find they do help me sleep in a fashion, at least better than without them.
I also remember it took a while to get used to them, I was put on 30mg then increased to 45mg which doctor said was recommended maximum dose and then further down the line upped to 60mg.

Andrew

J

jamesdean

Hi a1jonuk,I was told that 45mg was the recommended maximum dose by a psych,I would question if you should be on two tablets I was on twice the recommeneded dose of beta blocker for 17 years my last psych was horrifed that I had been given that amount to take in the first place n couldnt get me off them quick enough.

M

Mel d

Hi, my doctor also told me that 45mg was the maximum dose, Im due to see the gp today to discuss the meds, I am disappointed with the higher dose side effects, I thought I read that you get less side effects with a higher dose.
It's quite annoying as I was doing so well on the 30 mg and then my stomach pains started it just freaked me out with taking other meds that I expect that I was not getting the full benefit of mirtazapine, because I read the ingredients of my other meds and two of them have some sort of histamines as does mirtazapine.
Also is the 45mg more stimulating then the 30mg?
Thanks

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hi im on 30mg of Mirtazapine and PDr is adding Venaflaxine but not upping the Mirtazapine
mh

A

a1jonuk

If I remember correctly my dose was upped to 60mg when I was admitted to the phsych hospital to withdraw from benzo's, I've had medication reviews with the phsychiatrist since then and they have kept it at that dose.

M

Mel d

Hi, can anyone tell me if a sore throat is a side effect of starting the mirtazapine 45mg or just a virus?
Thanks

M

Mel d

Hi, I have been on the upped dose of 45mg for 4 days and i know its not enough time to see if it makes any difference from the 30mg but I have just caught a sore throat and cold /flu, so I feel terrible and I don't know whether I can cope with the drowsiness during the day but I am sleeping well on it. My doctor says try it for a week if no difference then drop down to 30mg,I asked her about withdrawal symptoms but she says it has none. Has anyone tolerated the 45mg and if so has it made much difference to the 30mg.
Thanks

Skunx

Skunx

My dosage was upped to 45mg about a month ago and it has really made a difference with my day to day moods but I still get those few days where I go back to that horrible pressure in my chest and shots of panicky anxiety, previous to the mirtazapine I was given so many other anti-depressants with little or no success so I'm sticking with the mirtazapine for now as it is helping (with a lot of will power too mind). My eating is still up and down but that is more down to my own fear of gaining weight, my sleeping is still as erratic as ever but I occasionally take zopiclone (prescribed of course) if I've had a few days with no sleep. I hope the mirtazapine works for you like it is for me just now and never be frightened to ask your doctor for additional help.
All the best and I hope you feel better soon.

W

Wednesdaysgirl

I have to say mirap seems to have the best outcomes I have ever come across in an anti depressant. It causes a lot of weight gain unfortunately but it's a low price to pay

N

Nuke

Hello, I have been on 30mg of mirtazapine for a month and it is pooping out because I am crying and feeling low again. My gp didn't want to up the dose because I had restless arms, knee joint pains dizziness and chest pain in the first week of upping from 15-30mg. Has anyone been on this dosage with long term success, or can you tell me if you can still sleep,eat and put weight on with the higher dose?
Thanks
I have been on 45 mg of Mirtazapine for a couple of months. I am starting to wean down though. It was causing extreme dry mouth and throat, and was also changing how I was experiencing the taste and temperature of food. I cut down to 30 mg for the last 2 days, and these undesirable side effects have decreased. May go down another notch to 15 mg, but will have to discuss that with the doc: I know stopping abruptly is not wise. I did gain weight, but it was also the holidays.

S

Solicitate

Thanks
Hello!

I’ve been recently upped to 45mg mirtazapine after taking 15mg, I found they helped me to fall asleep but not actually sleep very well. In regards to weight loss or gain, I rarely eat where I’m in the hospitality industry, so I replaced a lot of the food urges by drinking huel. Which had replaced 2 of 3 meals a day. If you’re worried about weight it’s maybe worth looking into? Of course everyone is different.