• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Anyone take propranolol for social anxiety?

Jam1990

Jam1990

My doctor prescribed me 40mg of propranolol for social anxiety. It’s supposed to cut down the physical symptoms of social anxiety which could really benefit me, especially at work. I just took my first dose of it today to test it out before taking it before I go to a work shift. Just wanting to make sure I don’t have any negative side effects from it. Just really curious to know if it works for anyone else.

jajingna

jajingna

Hmm, I've never taken meds directed at social anxiety specifically, like I've never been treated for that, though I've had that going back decades, but the ones I did take in the past were for depression and psychosis, guess they helped a bit with anxiety, a frequent companion to depression. Hope it helps you, let us know if it does or not.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

I dislike anxiety medication. Either never works or I end up taking it to often. I’m happy to be free of it. Yah! :dance:

irwin

irwin

My doctor prescribed me 40mg of propranolol for social anxiety. It’s supposed to cut down the physical symptoms of social anxiety which could really benefit me, especially at work. I just took my first dose of it today to test it out before taking it before I go to a work shift. Just wanting to make sure I don’t have any negative side effects from it. Just really curious to know if it works for anyone else.
I tried beta-blockers for social anxiety and it worked! I wasn't anxious around people, but it also made me feel kind of weird. That might have gone away after getting used to it, but I really didn't give it time to work. I wonder what long term effects of its usage is.

I've been on Paxil for over 15 years. It doesn't really doesn't do anything for my social anxiety, but it does help with irrational fears, and that makes it easier to sleep. Insomnia was a major problem before getting on Paxil.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I tried beta-blockers for social anxiety and it worked! I wasn't anxious around people, but it also made me feel kind of weird. That might have gone away after getting used to it, but I really didn't give it time to work. I wonder what long term effects of its usage is.

I've been on Paxil for over 15 years. It doesn't really doesn't do anything for my social anxiety, but it does help with irrational fears, and that makes it easier to sleep. Insomnia was a major problem before getting on Paxil.
Wow that’s a good long time. I’m glad it seems to work for you. Every time I’ve tried an SSRI I’ve had really bad suicidal ideation. I seem to respond well to anti psychotics though.

irwin

irwin

Wow that’s a good long time. I’m glad it seems to work for you. Every time I’ve tried an SSRI I’ve had really bad suicidal ideation. I seem to respond well to anti psychotics though.
Yeah, the doctor warned me about suicide ideation, but it hasn't really been a problem. I thought about killing myself pretty much every day when I couldn't sleep, but now that I'm sleeping a lot better, I only think about it once a week or so.

I've never tried any antipsychotics. It's interesting how people have different reactions to drugs. For me, the worst side effect from Paxil is it pretty much destroyed my sex drive. There are costs and benefits to all drugs, so you just have to weigh them to see if it's worth it.

Jam1990

Jam1990

Yeah, the doctor warned me about suicide ideation, but it hasn't really been a problem. I thought about killing myself pretty much every day when I couldn't sleep, but now that I'm sleeping a lot better, I only think about it once a week or so.

I've never tried any antipsychotics. It's interesting how people have different reactions to drugs. For me, the worst side effect from Paxil is it pretty much destroyed my sex drive. There are costs and benefits to all drugs, so you just have to weigh them to see if it's worth it.
The SSRI’s destroyed my sex drive too. Thankfully the antipsychotic hasn’t done that at all. I just feel zoned out a lot and a little groggy throughout the day. It really is interesting that we all experience different side effects from drugs. Medication is a very interesting topic to me. If I was mentally capable, I’d probably be a psychiatrist.

TAME_that_PAIN

TAME_that_PAIN

Do you know if you have generalised social anxiety or specific social anxiety? Does it happen in most social interactions, or does it only happen in particular situations, like giving a speech, a performance (stage fright) or 1st dates or when 1st meeting new people until you get to know them?
If you want to be able to tolerate certain situations until you've adjusted and to make it less obvious to others that you are nervous (by slowing down heart rate, sweating, trembling and pacing your speech) they can be extremely helpful.

TAME_that_PAIN

TAME_that_PAIN

Just noticed you mentioned you take an antipsychotic? May I ask what it is and what it's for?
There are antidotes to SSRI sexual side effects, but it does mean taking more drugs.

Jam1990

Jam1990

Just noticed you mentioned you take an antipsychotic? May I ask what it is and what it's for?
There are antidotes to SSRI sexual side effects, but it does mean taking more drugs.
I take Seroquel 250mg

P

Paul L

I 'm currently on 80mg of Propranalol but I believe I was given this for headaches rather than Social Anxiety. This is as well as 120mg of Duloxetine which is more for the anxiety/depression I believe. I never found any issues or side effects with the Propranalol.
Of note just weaned off the duloxetine after about 18 months as not really helping even at 120mg so next week starting on Paroxetine instead. I'm currently enjoying side effects such as headaches and nightmares and last 2 days keep starting to cry which is quite embarrassing as a 51 year old bloke walking his dog.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I 'm currently on 80mg of Propranalol but I believe I was given this for headaches rather than Social Anxiety. This is as well as 120mg of Duloxetine which is more for the anxiety/depression I believe. I never found any issues or side effects with the Propranalol.
Of note just weaned off the duloxetine after about 18 months as not really helping even at 120mg so next week starting on Paroxetine instead. I'm currently enjoying side effects such as headaches and nightmares and last 2 days keep starting to cry which is quite embarrassing as a 51 year old bloke walking his dog.
Sorry to hear about the side effects. Hopefully they go away soon. Nothing wrong with crying though. I would enjoy a good cry here and there. It just doesn’t happen much for me. I also seem to be dealing with a lot of nightmares though. It sucks because it kind of sets the mood for the day when I have a bad nightmare. Thanks for replying to my post. I really appreciate it :). Hope your day is going well.