• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone relate?

S

saint

Hi, new here....
looking for some friendly advise. I'm going to keep this as short as I can. I just basically wan't to see if any Bipoler sufferers can associate with the way I feel and get a second opinion on whether I myself should see a doctor. I have been thinking of seeing a doctor/gp etc for some time now. I've been fully awake for nearly two days although some days I sleep 16-18 hours either waking up very dizzy and weak and usually in a very bad mood. Although bad mood doesn't sum it up really, more like periods of hating myself and being depressed (I had felt depressed on and off for a year or so). I'll just sit there hardly moving and mumble to friends, although most of the time I do feel extremely over confident, speededup and speak so fast my sides hurt, most of my friends cant understand a word sometimes. I will be trying to explain that many ideas at once I nearly explode, whether it's mania I just don't know. The strange thing is sometimes I can be both very sad down below but also feel on top of the world and my body buzzing with excitement at the same time..... I also have panic attacks sometimes and worry about every little detail of my life. I also had one getting my hair cut a while back, that was scary, I really thought I was having a h attack. I now have cardiophobia I've had for a year which I have never had help with. Somedays I'll just wake up and everything will just seem normal no racing h or thoughts. I have a racing h most days sometimes when I think to much about it it can cause a panic attack, a few times I shaked so badly in bed i couldn't breath...
For no apparent reason I've woke up crying on occasion and just wanting to die as I feel so lonely sometimes. Other times I just want to be by myself in my own world, other times I really want to be with friends and I can have such a big ego and spurt 1000 words a second on something i just read or go on and on how great i am and no one can beat me at anything and laugh uncontrollably for no reason.

The really strange thing is i have witnessed some psychosis symptoms like thinking my thoughts were being broadcasted on the news somewhere so everyone who once knew me could laugh at my life.... and also as a young child I remember sometimes having severe headaches causing me to hallucinate which only happened around 5 times and has not returned that severe ever since.

Does anyone recognize any of these symptoms? If not Bipoler what else could be the problem? is it worth going to get checked out?

Most of my problems have interfered with work, school, relationships,family, friends, now i have only one close friend.

I realize I'm new but i have described my problems before on a forum and all i get is go swimming and do yoga! I can tell you being around a swimming pool full of people will not help me.
Thanks!

Last edited:
C

cole

hey

I am new here to. :) I have been ill for a few years now and diagnosed with bipolar disorder last year. I am currently hypomanic. it definetly sounds like something is wrong you should go to your dr and asked to be referred.I know how hard it is to try and explain these kinds of symptoms but it really is the best thing for you to do.When i first took ill i refused to go to the dr at first as i felt silly and in the end my sister had to drag me there as i was very unwell i.e hearing things etc.I had a manic episode which lasted months and could maybe have been managed better if i had gone sooner. You may not have bipolar disorder there are other possibilities. My mum suffers from psychotic depression.Is there any history of mental illness in ur family?

emski

emski

Hi saint. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time right now. I can identify with some of your symptoms. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 2 years ago though I have had mental health problems for going on 12 years. I have had manic, depressive, hypomanic, mixed and psychotic episodes and symptoms.

The thing I have come to understand about mental health problems and diagnoses is that it is like a spectrum of symptoms. Diagnoses serve to give an identity to a collection of symptoms, and also to label. They allow guidelines for treatments but furthermore make it easier for governments to compile statistics. I have, like most other people with a diagnosis, experienced symptoms found commonly in other disorders. What I'm trying to say is that the diagnosis itself doesn't really matter, it's getting the appropriate help when you no longer feel like you can cope.

I think it is worth going to your GP and writing things down about the things that are going on for you right now in case you go blank in the doctor's :hug:

S

saint

Thanks a lot both of you. after some sleep I feel great this morning, but that always happens..... lol.

Iwas actually nervous, thinking I should never had posted, I had to force myself to check this, i thought you lot would laugh at me or something.

cole said:
Is there any history of mental illness in ur family?
Yes I think so, also my mother has suffered from manic depression, my 14 year old bro is diagnosed with ADHD.

I feel as though nothing is wrong but I guess I can't deny somethings.

Thanks a million for your replys :) I think I might go and get checked out tho 2 be on the safe side, even tho i've been like that on and off for more that a year.

emski

emski

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, but like you say it can't hurt to get checked out

C

cole

i found it so dificult to ask for help but i promise there are people who understand what you are going through and it really helped me to talk to people who can relate.If there is a history of bipolar in ur family u should definely go to the doctor.I have had the same gp for years and he has always been good with me.Whether am jumping about his room picking everthing up or talking away to gremlins.It is so important to get good help.Nobody is goin to be anything but understanding.good luck x

S

saint

thanks again, yeah I don't really want to moan on about this for ever I just feel like no one will listen to me if I tell tell them everything I feel, the problem is I don't know how to approach a doc/gp...I thought there was nothing wrong with me untill reading on mental illness and was shocked and quite sad that some of the things and strange thoughts I believe may not be true.

Also, this is probably laughable at the amount of problems I have, I also feel the need to wash my hands some 50 times a day, count to eleven when I drink, check the gas knob on the cooker, check windows doors, been late a number of times at work because of feeling the need to go back and check my room for things that I may have missed, I cant touch things with one hand without feeling I must touch it with the other hand, worry about illness like my cardiovascular system..... this may be ocd I don't know, along with having many symptoms of bipoler.... I also stutter since a young age which has caused panic attacks in public, although sometimes I feel on top of the world and just laugh at the stutter...

I t feels like I have to many things to tell a doc/gp but I guess it's never to late, I'm glad I read about this and realize this at 22....

My old boss and some of my relatives told me I might have BPD which messes up my mind up even more...

Anyway no need to keep replying to this now if u dont want to, im not after any sympathy, just wanted to see if I should get checked up.

C

cole

i really dont mind.I find it really helps even just to talk and its even better when its someone who can understand some of wot ur goin thro.so anytime u need any advice or even a wee chat. feel free to send me a wee message :)

S

saint

Thanks alot. I hope everything goes ok for u :)

M

magdalen

Hello saint, don't feel awkward about posting, that's what this site is for. I am new here too and haven't posted much as yet. I can relate to much of what you have described. I was diagnosed with bipolar 9 years ago. As others have advised, it would be best to see your GP and ask for a referral. The replies you've had are kind and supportive, this feels like a safe place to be with people who really understand. Take care and keep posting - you are not alone.

S

saint

hey thanks.... yeah i do wan't to see a gp, i might get an appointment, even if its just for my sleeping problems and then ill just explain other things.
How exactly would i first approach a gp? what should i ask? should i just explain the things that are happening or would i start naming conditions, even though its probably not that bad.... on one part i said, its more like washing my hands 20-30 times and only with normal water i dont use soap its not much of a problem to me, its many other things that really bothers me on the bipoler side as some of my moods are getting worse and sometimes I feel so speeded up I actually will explode.

Last edited: