• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone out there

T

Trooper

Founding Member
Hello anyone,
I was recomended to visit this site bya friend at work who knows that I suffer from mental illness. i have Bi-polar disorder and am on alot of medication for this. Everything seems worse at this time of year-everyone being happy, throwing money around.why cant everyone be nice to each other for all of the time?
In the last two weeks I have experienced the most intense high mood I have had for a long time and youve probably guessed that I am on the 'down' now. I dont know how much longer I can carry on like this. It probably sounds dumb but knowing that there can be an ending is a real relief for me.

mischief

mischief

Admin
Welcome Trooper :welcome:

why cant everyone be nice to each other for all of the time?
Good question! :drool: Hopefully we all will be here! and hopefully our example will become the way of the world! :sorcerer:

In the last two weeks I have experienced the most intense high mood I have had for a long time and youve probably guessed that I am on the 'down' now. I dont know how much longer I can carry on like this. It probably sounds dumb but knowing that there can be an ending is a real relief for me.
All emotions come and go ...... the down will pass in time just as the high did.........(y) Life is pretty intense at this time of the year! Just think in another 11 days a new year will have started.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome:

I hate this time of year too ............. everything is so false .

Hang in there mate :hug:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I will share an episode that I found quite shocking, but also pertains to the stated feelings with, to my mind, high relevance. I've been following a BSc in Anthropology, and I am particularly interested in the sub fields of medical and psychological anthropology. Typically psychological anthropology isn't taught at undergraduate level, and is actually rarely taught in the UK at all being far more a US discipline. I was granted permission to take a Social Psychology course from the BSc in Psychology as it would cover many relevant perspectives.

So, to get to the nuts and bolts, we are all sat in a lecture and we cover a broad idea known as cognitive bias. Simply put this is the psychological inclination to view subjective reality as if it was an objective truth. A well known example of this is known as positivity bias. When say 100 university lecturers were asked whether they were below, above, or merely average, something like 90% stated they were 'above' average. Quite obviously that is statistically impossible, so it is fair to assume that the lecturers, at least a reasonable percentile, where delusional. The lecture then moved on to the 'fact', as covered in the module reader, that persons inclined to positivity bias were less inclined to mental illness, it hit me like a brick and must have shown on my face (i.e. droppping jaw). Ironically it seemed to be completely ignored by my fellow students.

So to try and summate. If you have a positive image of yourself, even if it is untrue and unfounded, and are able to keep negative aspects of your persona denied, or at least suppressed, you are less inclined to mental illness or at least less inclined to be diagnosed and labelled. If however you are critical of yourself, perhaps correctly so given we are (to be taoist for a moment) a combination of light and dark, and subsequently also critical of your broader environment you are more inclined to depression and other forms of mental illness.

I think what I'm trying to say is that in the depths of your feelings you might find some solace in the fact that although you feel crap, at least your not a fake, lying to yourself and thus by implication lying to everyone around you. Sure you may not feel elated, over the moon, but at least you can feel content that you are honest with yourself and try and find a way to move on with that as the baseline.

Last edited:
J

justlikeawoman

all about me

Hi
I think this forum seems really good. Much better than the other set up. But I guess they both have their place.
I have suffered with depression for years. Am going through a steady time at the moment.
I am a christian and "try" to place my trust in God.
I try to see God in all my situations.
I can be serious to the hilariously funny - others may not think so.
No I usually think things are funny when everybody else is being very serious.
I am looking forward to hearing other people's experiences and thoughts on life etc.
But at this point I want to congratulate the people who set up the site and run it because it looks good and colourful.
Also - at this point I would like to wish everybody a very happy Christmas.
I know it can be a lonely time of year but try on to get low and imagine everybody else is having a good time cos usually they arent. Even those without mental health problems will admit to it all being overrated.
Keep your money and go to the sales post christmas!!!
Anyway - looking forward to hearing from you all.
How about a group hug - Oh yes I can hear you all say - well get to it!!
:grouphug:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi
I think this forum seems really good. Much better than the other set up. But I guess they both have their place.
I have suffered with depression for years. Am going through a steady time at the moment.
I am a christian and "try" to place my trust in God.
I try to see God in all my situations.
I can be serious to the hilariously funny - others may not think so.
No I usually think things are funny when everybody else is being very serious.
I am looking forward to hearing other people's experiences and thoughts on life etc.
But at this point I want to congratulate the people who set up the site and run it because it looks good and colourful.
Also - at this point I would like to wish everybody a very happy Christmas.
I know it can be a lonely time of year but try on to get low and imagine everybody else is having a good time cos usually they arent. Even those without mental health problems will admit to it all being overrated.
Keep your money and go to the sales post christmas!!!
Anyway - looking forward to hearing from you all.
How about a group hug - Oh yes I can hear you all say - well get to it!!

Hello and :welcome:

Look forward to getting to know you :)

Yep a :grouphug: goes a long way .

W

Windblows

Founding Member
make life less material/Rorschach reveal-elation

Hi
This time of year (or indeed any time of year) need not be about spending. We as people can not exchange anything of value via this medium other than our words and these can be far more use than any item you could buy. We throw away so much that now the only solution to prevent waste is not to buy it in the first place - just what you can use (y).

I like what Rorschach has to say. It is very true. I have observed the truth of it in several people I know who never have had a mental illness but I think they are deluded with themselves. However it is no surprize to me that 90% of the students thought they were above average and i do not think they would consider themselves delusional because they would all think it was others who had faulsely overestimated themselves.

It is true that people who do suffer mental health problems tend to be of very low self estime and I think what Rorschach is saying is that we have more right to feel good about ourselves because we do not dismiss the merits of others. We might not be able to convince ourselves that we are better than others but lets try to accept that we are as good as anyone else.
I think those who think that they are 'above average' might be right in some respects, higher intellect maybe, but that gives them responsibility and they must not disrespect the human worth of every other person on earth. Being above average means having some speciel quality that is there for the good of all - not to be used for ego-booasting or self gain.

Materials things all end up on the dump if not utilised properly.

mischief

mischief

Admin
Welcome justlikeawoman :welcome:

It is great that you have made it over here. We really hope you enjoy your stay! Thanks for all the positive comments!! We have always really appreciated your contributions on the other forum! and hope that you'll make lots of contributions here as well!

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and to your good friend!!

mischief

mischief

Admin
Materials things all end up on the dump if not utilised properly.
A great place to ensure that material things don't end up in the dump is Freecycle www.freecycle.org It is great for getting rid of all that junk that you may have lying around and to save you from buying items. The range of items that get given away is immense. It also has quite a good community feeling about it. :drool:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Tips to skip the tip

Hi There Mischief (and everyone else):tea:

Thank you for that freecycle advice and web link. I hope lots of us will make use of it. :grouphug:

It will be really good if this forum becomes a way of sharing positive ideas for how to survive and be happy in this crazy world.:clap:

mischief

mischief

Admin
It will be really good if this forum becomes a way of sharing positive ideas for how to survive and be happy in this crazy world.:clap:
I really hope so! One of the things we are intending to do is to start a support wiki. (A wiki is software that allows users to create, edit, and link web pages easily.) As ideas are shared on the forum we would then add them to the wiki so people can find them easily rather than having to trawl through past forum messages.

W

Windblows

Founding Member
a little about myself

Hi
A little about myself could get long because I think I have a long story to tell and perhaps I will (before too long) get around to writing a succinct edition of my story in the form of a book - because if it is written as blog you won't have space enough for it:p
Anyway thats not told you a thing and see how long it took!!

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
"So to try and summate. If you have a positive image of yourself, even if it is untrue and unfounded, and are able to keep negative aspects of your persona denied, or at least suppressed, you are less inclined to mental illness or at least less inclined to be diagnosed and labelled. " from Rorschach

Yeh I am great, fab, brill (te he hee )

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
"So to try and summate. If you have a positive image of yourself, even if it is untrue and unfounded, and are able to keep negative aspects of your persona denied, or at least suppressed, you are less inclined to mental illness or at least less inclined to be diagnosed and labelled. " from Rorschach

Yeh I am great, fab, brill (te he hee )
Actually do you know what the word 'persona' means? Its quite telling.

W

Windblows

Founding Member
making sence of persona?

Rorcharch - pease can you expain the word 'persona' with a clear definition? I tried my dictionary and it just says 'for sence'.
I always thought persona was the image we project to others but so far we have been talking about self image which is how we see ourselves. Obviously it is easier to convince ourselfs we have certain qualities if others are made to believe it too and so is all part of the process of self delusion, or is this non-sence?:redface: