• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone on the Autism spectrum and have Bipolar and how do the 2 interact for you?

C

Comorbidity

Very curious about this if anyone else has experience of it.

My experience has been that mechanisms developed from being on the autism spectrum, seem to help regulate my hypomania and allow me to have long highly productive periods of hypomania.

From when I started school I always knew I was somehow different, that I didn't interact with other children like everyone else seemed to, and rather than feeling alien, my head, I've always had this bizarre awareness of a greater conscious than my own that has always seemed to be in charge and makes decisions and recognises important information for me, as long as there are some mechanics involved in them or they have a practical use, my head, looked at everyone else as being an alien species rather than me feeling alien.

So my head doing it's thing watched this alien species, observed how they interacted, listened to their conversations (and still does) and put in place mechanisms with it's acquired knowledge of these things so to enable me to appear and act as people would consider to be normal more of the time, even though the emotional attachment of doing so wasn't often there and there was always the feeling of detachment, even when in the thick of things, including in long term relationships, very surreal, like being there, but not, like being an extra in the movie of your own life the greater conscious was making.

I had a recent revelation that with this process already in place when my hypomania which started when I was 12-13 progressed, that this aspect of my brain creating a mechanism for appearing normal and putting all the necessary information in my head to be able to present as such and regularly updating it, seems to me the thing that regulated my hypomania and I'm interested to learn of anyone else's experiences with autism spectrum or any other comorbid conditions and how they interact with and potentially regulate or accelerate their bipolar.

Thank you all in advance

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have not heard of anyone having both but i am sure there are many people.

Typically, i think people with bipolar disorder are overly friendly and over familiar with people, sometimes intrusive.

I

InnovatingProfessor

I also have both disorders, but the bipolar is the most on front. I have bipolar type 1, ultra rapid cycling. The rapid cycling made the bipolar even worse. I tend to be more manic and psychotic then depressive.

If you have autism, the chance at developing bipolar or psychotic episodes are 5.x times higher.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C More broken than anyone realises or understands Bipolar Forum 9
B Anyone have experience taking Mirtazapine? Bipolar Forum 6
C Is anyone on 600mg of Pregabalin (Lyrica)? Bipolar Forum 30
C Anyone else feel about 100 years old? Bipolar Forum 7
sirk Anyone here not on any medication? Bipolar Forum 50
P Anyone tried Ketamine? Bipolar Forum 10
Amazingly Anyone taking an antipsychotic? Bipolar Forum 17
Amazingly Anyone else suffer from lack of motivation? Bipolar Forum 9
M Anyone Here On US Disability? Bipolar Forum 13
BlackChalice47 Anyone else feel like... Bipolar Forum 6
G Anyone find meditation or other spiritual practices helpful? Bipolar Forum 20
E Anyone experienced rapid cycling? Bipolar Forum 9
P During a depression cycle does anyone hate or get disgusted by their significant other? Bipolar Forum 24
T Anyone taking 2 anti-psychotics at the same time? Bipolar Forum 9
H Does anyone know how long the side effects of Klonopin and Gabapentin take to wear off? Bipolar Forum 2
G Has anyone ever heard of this? Bipolar Forum 3
N So anyone trying to play overwatch? Bipolar Forum 10
C Anyone for whom no meds are right? Bipolar Forum 14
F Anyone been triggered by a repetitive monotonous melody? Any insights? Bipolar Forum 5
G Anyone else with a family history of mental illness? Bipolar Forum 52
G Anyone else have had ECT? Bipolar Forum 14
K Anyone familiar with unipolar mania? Bipolar Forum 9
B Has anyone noticed reduced fitness since taking bipolar med? Bipolar Forum 17
S Has anyone ever changed from lithium to a different mood stabiliser? Bipolar Forum 14
A can anyone relate Bipolar Forum 6
K does anyone here have mini highs but not hypomania or mania Bipolar Forum 6
B Does anyone try to self manage bipolar? Bipolar Forum 29
D Does anyone understand what I'm talking about? Bipolar Forum 11
M Anyone use CBD to curb their mood swings and manic depressive episodes? Bipolar Forum 4
T Anyone else have strange delusions when not in a psychotic manic episode? Bipolar Forum 8
S Anyone relate to a kind of non-psychotic 'logical idealism' underlying things? Bipolar Forum 15
R Anyone with bipolar used to be violent/aggressive? Bipolar Forum 1
JessisMe Anyone Diagnosed Bipolar with Psychotic Features? Bipolar Forum 13
C Has anyone experienced High dosages of Quetiapine Bipolar Forum 16
H Can't sleep! Anyone else so I'm not alone Bipolar Forum 23
M Anyone here relate to these symptoms? Bipolar Forum 11
D Unipolar Mania anyone else have it? Bipolar Forum 6
K anyone take Latuda during the day? Bipolar Forum 1
P Anyone meeting pdoc in person? Anytime soon? Bipolar Forum 1
P Has anyone had med changes by phone with pdoc? Bipolar Forum 13
F Anyone else have persistent depression? Bipolar Forum 1
NyxieKitten Does anyone else experience this? Bipolar Forum 11
H About to taper lithium and scared! Anyone ever switch from ER to instant? Bipolar Forum 4
L Can anyone help me? Bipolar Forum 2
N Cariprazine, anyone tried it? Bipolar Forum 3
H Anyone ever lower or taper lithium without issues?? Bipolar Forum 1
jb5784 Anyone want to get off their meds? Bipolar Forum 17
H Does Lithium make anyone else freezing cold? Bipolar Forum 1
M Anyone out there with Bipolar disorder that can help me understand my brother? Bipolar Forum 2
B Does anyone suffer from Akathisia? Bipolar Forum 6