• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone on citalopram?

J

Jisatsu

I have been prescribed citalopram today, 20mg. This is my first AD and I was wondering what people's opinions were on it?

My doctor has only given me 7 tablets and I have to see her again next wednesday as she said she needs to monitor me whilst I take it. She also said she would not give me more tablets to prevent me from overdosing.. I don't know if this will eventually change. (Surely if I wanted to overdose I could just save up the tablets she gives me weekly?!)

So yeah, I just wanted to know what people's experiences were on this drug and this dosage.

pinkprincess

pinkprincess

Hi,
I am on it and it is also my first I am also on 20mg. I didn't suffer massively from any side effects really struggled even more to sleep for about a week after I started taking them and also sometimes get a bit hyper also had a few more headaches than normal but overall not to bad. I get a month at a time. But I am thinking of asking for dose to be upped. Really struggle with depression during period and still get overly anxious!

J

Jisatsu

Hey thanks for the reply :)
I am not going to start taking them until tomorrow morning.
I hope I don't have trouble sleeping because I told my doctor I was having difficulty sleeping as it is!
Will I notice anything after a week?

raven

raven

Hey thanks for the reply :)
I am not going to start taking them until tomorrow morning.
I hope I don't have trouble sleeping because I told my doctor I was having difficulty sleeping as it is!
Will I notice anything after a week?
Hi there, I was prescribed 20mg of citalopram as the first anti-depressant I tried. From my memory I had no nasty side effects from it at all. As for when you will notice a change, it usually takes 2-4 weeks before you notice any change. I don't think that citalopram is dangerous in overdose unlike the early Tri anti-depressents like trimpiramine.

Good luck with it and I hope it works for you. Fingers crossed.

raven

J

Jisatsu

thank you :) I hope everything goes ok too!

D

DELATEXT

hI

Hi, I have been on this for 3 years it helps against panic attacks and agoraphobia , it does seem to work cause if I did not take it I could not go out !!

:welcome:

pinkprincess

pinkprincess

It took about 2 weeks for me to sleep or have any quality sleep even though I had problems sleeping it did not solve the problem staright away and took about 2 weeks and you cannot take it with Nytol or anything like that- I checked as I was that exhausted but eventually it does kick in!

J

Jisatsu

I just took my first tablet about half an hour ago, I thought i'd try taking it in the evening to begin with.

What does everyone think is best? Morning or evening?

D

DELATEXT

morning

morning works for me but consult your Doctor for advice and give it time..

:welcome:

bubbling under

bubbling under

Hi I've been on citalopram for nearly 18months after my breakdown, and I've found it fab! I take mine first thing in the morning, with my breakfast..because I take amitriptyline at night which helps me sleep. Luckily, I can't recall ever having any side effects, except the odd headache, but I've suffered with migraines for yrs so it's hard to tell whether they are connected or not?

You won't notice anything really for at least 4-6weeks, because it takes that long to build up in your system. I'm guessing your gp wants to see you every week initially just to check you're not getting any unpleasant side effects from them.

One thing you may notice is a thirst...which is quite normal initially :)

I wish you well :hug:

Last edited:
J

Jisatsu

Thank you :)
I hope they do start to work fairly soon.. (2-4 weeks) I just want to feel different to how I am now. I hope I don't get any nasty side effects too!

J

Jisatsu

OMG! I just read somewhere that citalopram can cause weight gain?! Has anyone had this? I already hate the weight I am, I don't want to gain any more! :( This has panicked me!

J

Jisatsu

I have had a horrible headache all day, I don't know if this is possibly a side effect seeing as I have only taken 1 tablet.. feel a bit strange, like what I did last night was all a dream?

J

Jisatsu

Don't know if anyone will bother reading but I took my 2nd tablet at 8pm this evening and just now my pounding headache has completely disappeared and in comparison my head feels really light! So glad it's gone :)

S

Soren

hi jisatsu,

i'm glad you're feeling a bit better today. don't worry too much if you have a few side-effects - it can be a bit uncomfortable for a bit until your body gets used to it.

about the weight gain thing - it can happen a bit in some cases, but not really badly.

hope it goes well:)