• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone in the US with disability advice?

N

Notalwaysever

I couldn't find any US based message boards that I liked so I have been on and off this site for a few years now. My doctor feels it would be beneficial for me to look into partial disability since I throw myself so hard into work. Not counting hospital trips my last vacation was in 2009, my honeymoon with my now ex husband. I will pickup hours to a detriment of my health because I just need the money to pay my bills, nothing about my life in lavish. I lost my car to repossession, I have a one bedroom apartment with a roommate, I would live with family if any would let me. About a decade ago I tried to get disability and was told I had to be completely out of work, even for partial disability, for a full year to qualify for SSI. That is not an option for me, I already spent 3 months homeless last year and I am not repeating that. Even if I get monthly disability I know people who have had to wait an additional 6 month-1 year for medicare/Medicaid, with as often as I go to the doctor and the medications I have to take I don't see how I could do that either.

If I don't start working part time the doctor wants me to work all these restricted hours of the day to keep my sleep-wake cycle normalized but I don't think I can really do that. I was transferred to the location that opens late and stays open late full time so suddenly only being able to work 9-5 would not work. They have tried to replace me other times in this position because the manager at a different location wanted to keep be but the manager here has fired everyone they have hired to replace me even before I left.

K

KitKat90

I have a friend that is on SSDI. I would contact a lawyer in your area that handles disability cases. She was denied when she applied herself. Even if you don’t go the lawyer route. You can still get information from them. Check the ssa.gov website. I’m not sure but I believe you have to be unemployed but check the site just to be sure. Also check your area for housing there is a waiting list but you maybe be able to get on it. It’s will be based on a percentage of your disability amount. I hope this helps.

N

Notalwaysever

I think everyone I know who was successful used a lawyer, although I have no idea where I would get the money for one. The housing you are talking about, do you mean like section 8? I know hud has a lot of programs too but where I live they are literally all for elderly only. It has been a long time since I have looked into subsidized housing but I remember the waitlists being closed for my county and all the surroundings. A big problem is I live in south Florida so everything is geared toward the elderly, the limited programs that don’t usually disqualify me because I don’t have kids. The average wage vs rent around here is out of control...my apartment now is actually an illegal subdivide but that was all I could afford and I can barely afford it. I have even tired moving across the country to a less expensive state (spent 2 years in texas) but I got divorced while I was out there and my mental state got so bad I went through like 14 jobs in one year so I came back ‘home’.

K

KitKat90

Yes. I was talking about section 8. My friend was able to get an apartment but she was on the waiting list a long time. I’m in Texas the disability lawyers here don’t get paid unless they win your case. My mom also used a lawyer they back dated her claim on the date she became disabled and the lawyer took a percentage of that. I believe it’s a common practice. It would be something to look into.

N

Notalwaysever

Yes. I was talking about section 8. My friend was able to get an apartment but she was on the waiting list a long time. I’m in Texas the disability lawyers here don’t get paid unless they win your case. My mom also used a lawyer they back dated her claim on the date she became disabled and the lawyer took a percentage of that. I believe it’s a common practice. It would be something to look into.
I didn’t know disability lawyers took cases like that, I always think of personal injury attorneys being paid that way. I guess I just need to keep checking the section 8 waiting lists for when one opens, I know some towns are easier to get into than others.

K

KitKat90

The rents are going up everywhere. It’s hard to find a nice affordable one now.

N

Notalwaysever

I live in a decent sized 1 bedroom that is practically falling apart with a roommate in the living room and it is close to half my monthly income. I make well above minimum wage but my health insurance and FSA is through my employer which is around and additional $600/month coming out of my paycheck. Even if I could just get Medicare, which I know I never will without disability, it would help me so much.

K

KitKat90

Health Insurance premiums have just skyrocketed after Obamacare. I love the idea but I wish they would do something about the cost. Once your on SSDI you should get approved for Medicare pretty quick.

Hope your able to get it SSDI soon.

N

Notalwaysever

Called a few lawyers today, it didn’t really go well. I tried to explain that I know I cannot work full time and get disability but before I change my employment I wanted to talk to someone and get a better idea of what I was in for but they just blew me away off. I have a phone appointment Thursday with one though to get some more information.