• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone here have NPD?

N

Nathank

Ive been diagnosed within cluster b and am coming to terms with my NPD. My past and how i feel is perfectly explain by Narcissistic Personality disorder. I dont want this and dont want to be that man, but all im told is theres no hope.

Any success stories?

Thank you

N

Nathank

I cant find any literature on people healing and living a good solid life. I dont want to lose my family. I dont want to be a bad man anymore

Confusedandanxious

Confusedandanxious

Most people with NPD dont believe they need to change or that the fault is ever with them, and so they dont seek out help or even try to change.

The fact you want to change is proof that there is hope. As long as you put effort in, then I dont see why you're attempts at bettering yourself would fail. It might be hard and challenging, but I believe it's possible.

N

Nathank

Most people with NPD dont believe they need to change or that the fault is ever with them, and so they dont seek out help or even try to change.

The fact you want to change is proof that there is hope. As long as you put effort in, then I dont see why you're attempts at bettering yourself would fail. It might be hard and challenging, but I believe it's possible.

Thank you. Im battling with my new characteristics of being a good, less manipulative, faithful man who doesnt lie with the inability to make my own self esteem and constantly seeking reassurance. I question if ive ever felt love or caring or was just looking for a source of supply. Every word, every action I question. I wont allow myself to be one of those terrible narcissists you hear about. Even though i was i wont go back.

M

mallakhya

Thank you. Im battling with my new characteristics of being a good, less manipulative, faithful man who doesnt lie with the inability to make my own self esteem and constantly seeking reassurance. I question if ive ever felt love or caring or was just looking for a source of supply. Every word, every action I question. I wont allow myself to be one of those terrible narcissists you hear about. Even though i was i wont go back.

Hey man,how are you improving on that beautiful choice that you made ?
If u wanna talk, i think i got a lot to add on this matter.
Hit me up.

anex

anex

I definitely think there is hope. You recognize how you’re behaving and you want to do better. That’s really great. I think a lot of the people who say there is no hope have been badly burned by someone with narcissistic traits and don’t see them as still human. There isn’t a lot known about the inner workings of NPD probably because of the nature of the disorder itself and because of the heavy stigma. I think it’s one of the most stigmatized disorders.

C

celticlass

Well there is hope if you have insight and want to change the way you interact with others. I wonder if a good examination of the family unit you were brought up in might shed light on why you are who you are. Just keep going, just keep trying. I wish you all the best.2

G

greencheese902

i think i have covert npd, i became roman catholic and in some sense it made it worse because i got narcissistic supply from priest, i know that's so awful, and always seemed to be seeking reassurance. however at least there is a good distance between us, and it is healing me slowly because i have to love him and not just be loved, and love others, that is the main point of it all.
btw there is surely hope for you as you wish to change! i heard npd is a defense persona/safety mechanism which prevents the true personality from developing, so i guess if you find ways to volunteer in your community and have exposure in such ways, then it can help.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I agree that there is DEFINITELY hope for you as you are growing, are becoming more self aware and WANT to change and be a better person.

You are also aware of "other". Meaning, you have a real grasp of the concept that there are other people who have feelings, lives, and who deserve respect and care. From you. You are already showing empathy even if it's only partly realised at the moment. That in itself sets you apart from those who might be considered "hopeless" cases.

I personally have BPD with high antisocial and narcissistic traits, and I know when my narcissistic aspects are more present. I generally don't really care that much about it though apart from those whom I really, truly love.

MollyBloom

MollyBloom

I am convinced that every person with BPD is displaying from time to time NPD traits which is very logic, knowing that when someone with BPD splits, this person will loose empathy and certain emotions, resulting in NPD behaviour. However this doesn't make this person with BPD someone with NPD.

Also heavily traumatised persons can be numbed at such degree they become emotionless and unempathic to protect themselves but they don't have NPD. They've got cPTSD and they are misanthopes. Misanthropes aren't persons with NPD but they are simple disgusted by people because of the wrongdoings done to them.

People with NPD firmly believe they aren't the problem, hence they won't seek help because they can't self-reflect. When a person is afraid to have NPD, she/he won't likely have NPD but BPD. When a person is afraid of not a having empathy, this thought itself is an empathic reaction, hence no NPD person.

Too many people believe they have NPD but they actually have BPD with lots of narcissistic traits or they've got cPTSD with misanthropy. People with NPD are really a distinct category of persons. The orange ape and the Brazilian clown are beautiful examples.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Ive been diagnosed within cluster b and am coming to terms with my NPD. My past and how i feel is perfectly explain by Narcissistic Personality disorder. I dont want this and dont want to be that man, but all im told is theres no hope.

Any success stories?

Thank you
Honestly I don’t think you have NPD
Because most Narcissists don’t think there is anything wrong with them.