Anyone here had weight loss success whilst on antipsychotics?

R

Raindrops1999

Been on antipsychotics for 2 years and my weight has completely risen significantly since June 2017 (when I was prescribed them). Now currently weighing in at 22 stone 1 pound (309 pounds), however I have now been prescribed a weight loss tablet. I am a lot less hungry thanks to the new medication, but am still get some binge urges even when I feel like I'm going to be sick.

I haven't got long before college starts and I want to lose at least 2 stone before September. I have been logging all the food I've ate since Monday.

I am thinking of coming off the antipsychotic, but I do get suicidal and feel extremely low when I don't have it.

Any advice/tips?

Thanks all

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I've been keeping my calorie intake as low as possible, around 1500 per day and I'm losing a pound per week most weeks.

I'm down from 15 stone when I was at my worst on Olanzapine to 13 stone 12 pounds now on Aripiprazole and Risperidone. I'd like to get to 11 stone eventually.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I went up to 13 stone on quetiapine and developed diabetes . I’ve come off it now and am down to just under 10 stone. I’m still on other meds and finding it hard to lose the last stone

N

natalie

Hi Raindrops1999,

May I ask, which sort of antipshycotic medication are you on? If it is a certain one, which I think, only I can't predict the med you are on, then, this particular one I am t hinking of is notoriously well known for it's huge capacity of weight gaining in people. And, even whilst on this med, particular one find and I had the problem of feeling hungry as well, I understand, that people can't loose weight not all that easily.

I eventually came off this certain med, the one I am thinking of, back in 2005-2007, and eventually a brand new med, came in.

Anyway, I shan't go into too much detail for now.

Best Wishes.

R

Raindrops1999

Hi Raindrops1999,

May I ask, which sort of antipshycotic medication are you on? If it is a certain one, which I think, only I can't predict the med you are on, then, this particular one I am t hinking of is notoriously well known for it's huge capacity of weight gaining in people. And, even whilst on this med, particular one find and I had the problem of feeling hungry as well, I understand, that people can't loose weight not all that easily.

I eventually came off this certain med, the one I am thinking of, back in 2005-2007, and eventually a brand new med, came in.

Anyway, I shan't go into too much detail for now.

Best Wishes.
Hello!

I'm on aripiprazole.

N

natalie

Hello,

That really does surprise me, I shouild have thought it would have been another brand to cause that.

I am on aripipazole as well, bearing in mind, I am very much into fitness! working out.

I would make an appointment for your GP, and seek a referral, for a dietician/nutrionist, they might be able to help you out more.

I'm just realived that you are not on Onlanzapine, that is one of the worst meds, anyone could be on me included, in the past.

Best Wishes.

valleygirl

valleygirl

The only way I've been able to lose weight while on Seroquel is on the ketogenic diet. Keto is low carb (20 net grams per day), moderate protein, and high fat. I have to be super strict, no alternative sweeteners, no keto bread, otherwise I keep craving sugar. I fell off for a week and binged on ice cream and put back on 10 lbs. I had lost 30 lbs. Today is my first day back on keto. If you are serious about wanting to kick the sugar cravings, the best way to do keto is to just eat meat, eggs, avocados, leafy greens, and other low carb veggies. I make a salad dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, mustard powder, and salt. You might think a high fat diet would make it impossible to lose weight, but it works very well for me. Find Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube. He is very good at explaining the science of the ketogenic diet, as well as the science of diabetes and how having insulin resistance causes weight gain. He recommends eating everything grass fed, which I can't afford, and I've still been able to lose weight. Good luck!