• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Anyone have first hand experience with Roaccutane/Accutane/Isotrentinoin? (for skin conditions)

Starless

Starless

Anyone have first hand experience with Roaccutane/Accutane/Isotrentinoin? (for skin conditions)

I've been seeing a dermatologist recently for a problem with my skin and after a few courses of antibiotics he's decided to put me on this drug. Because I've been diagnosed with BPD he's insisting that I get "kept an eye on" by my GP/MH services as the side effects can be severe in terms of effecting mental health, apparently.

I'm wondering if anyone here has first hand experience of this drug while suffering with a mental health problem, and whether you noticed a worsening in your symptoms or even new ones popping up as a side effect?

Thanks

R

Rose19602

Hi Starless,
Not personally, but my son has acne and this drug was proposed for him if he didn't respond to the first one.....which he fortunately did.

Has your GP tried alternatives first? It's a pretty nasty drug and can cause a lot more than mental health deterioration.

I would google it and look into alternatives unless you are very desperate about the acne.

It does seem to work with lots of people and some report no further acne after being on it for a full course of treatment....but it's risky.

It might be worth checking whether it affects BPD...(is that Bipolar Disorder or Borderline PD ???) I think it may aggravate/cause severe depression / suicide. Check out the physical side effects too. If you have an MH condition and your GP doesn't take your health problems seriously, you may have an uphill battle reporting physical side effects too.

Link for you: Accutane Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com

RxISK.org is also worth a look for documented side effects reported to the FDA.

Think carefully!

x

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thoth

I was on this for 9 months, and it did wonders to my skin. In comparison to all the anti-psychotics, and antidepressants this drug isn't that big of a deal, and if it's for you skin it is really worth it. I know there's concerns about suicide but I never had any emotional issues on it.

Starless

Starless

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have acne - I'd be taking this for a more entrenched skin condition I've had for over a decade that seriously effects my self esteem. So if it works wonders for the majoriry of people's skin, hopefully it'll work for me and must be worth a try.

I've already been on several sets of antibiotics since I spoke to the doctor about it recently, which did nothing to help so apart from surgery, this is my last good chance to solve it. I'm under the care of dermatology at the local hospital and will have appointments with them every month to track my progress. My partner will also be coming with me too, and his memory ia better than mine so he'll remember any side effects that I've forgotten. I know the potential mental health side effects are more likely to happen as I've got Borderline PD, but it can't be worse than the type of tablets MH sufferers get shoved onto regularly without the choice or information.

It's worth a go.

R

Rose19602

With the level of monitoring and awareness you describe, I agree it is worth a go!

You can always stop taking it if any nasty side effects erupt I suppose?
x

T

Thoth

Yeah, I forgot you`re heavily monitored while taking it. It is an incredible drug that fixed my skin very quickly.

T

Thoth

I forgot to mention. Becareful with your towels, When I was taking it, some of the towels got bleached by accident.

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

It is well known to cause depression.

Starless

Starless

I forgot to mention. Becareful with your towels, When I was taking it, some of the towels got bleached by accident.
Bleached towels? I'm confused. What's bleach got to do with this drug?

Starless

Starless

Blimey. Ok, thanks for letting me know Thoth. I don't start them until the end of February. Bit worried, but I'm sure it'll be ok with people watching over me.