• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone have experience with Modafinil for depression?

2Much2Feel

Just started this yesterday after someone in the UK told me it is now being used for treatment-resistant depression. Read up on the studies and it sounds rather promising. Been through this enough times to know I shouldn't get my hopes up too high, but so far, it seems to be working. I'm getting moving again. I've gotten things done this morning that I've put off for months. It doesn't feel like I'm jacked up on some stimulant, it's more subtle than that. Got started at 100mg, about half the typical dose. Hopeful. Wondering if this could really help others out there. I would not have known about it except for my friend over there, my shrink never mentioned it.

It went by the name of Provigil when it was brand name only, used for narcolepsy as well as the military and those who work swing shifts. Not only can it boost energy, one of the main things I am excited about is that it also has been shown to help with cognition and memory, both of which have suffered greatly after so many years of depression. It is a relatively safe drug, and at my age, I just decided that even if it isn't, I'm not getting anything done right now and am willing to take any risks. (good thing, it is typically well tolerated, just check for interactions). xx

QuietDrew

QuietDrew

First off, I am diagnosed with/ battling Treatment resistant depression, chronic fatigue, anxiety and ADD. I am currently taking modafinil 200mg ×3 per day. It has helped with the tiredness and also has helped with my ADD. As you know it is not a cure, but it has helped me attempt to be back to my normal-ish me. I don't even know if I'm being informative at all but if you have questions ( I am not a doctor and do not have any medical training) let me know and I will try to be helpful.

2Much2Feel

First off, I am diagnosed with/ battling Treatment resistant depression, chronic fatigue, anxiety and ADD. I am currently taking modafinil 200mg ×3 per day. It has helped with the tiredness and also has helped with my ADD. As you know it is not a cure, but it has helped me attempt to be back to my normal-ish me. I don't even know if I'm being informative at all but if you have questions ( I am not a doctor and do not have any medical training) let me know and I will try to be helpful.
Thank you so much, @QuietDrew! Really interesting to hear. Yeah, I have anxiety as well and was wondering if this was going to make that worse. Has that been your experience at all? I feel like I'm doing better on it. Thank you for your input (I also have CFS as well...). xx

QuietDrew

QuietDrew

Thank you so much, @QuietDrew! Really interesting to hear. Yeah, I have anxiety as well and was wondering if this was going to make that worse. Has that been your experience at all? I feel like I'm doing better on it. Thank you for your input (I also have CFS as well...). xx
I'm really glad it's helping. For me, it smoothes me out. Not a high or anything. When I'm sitting watching tv or attempting to read something or talk with anyone, I move my feet a lot. Like I'm putting out a cigarette. I also rock back and forth while I'm sitting when I get anxious. A slight rock. The provigil slows the urge to do those things, by a bit.

2Much2Feel

I'm really glad it's helping. For me, it smoothes me out. Not a high or anything. When I'm sitting watching tv or attempting to read something or talk with anyone, I move my feet a lot. Like I'm putting out a cigarette. I also rock back and forth while I'm sitting when I get anxious. A slight rock. The provigil slows the urge to do those things, by a bit.
That's so interesting. I wish I had known years ago that they were using it for depression and energy issues, and it's awesome that it's helping with your ADD. Kind of wondering why my shrinks have been pro-stimulant yet never mentioned this. Maybe it's b/c it's generic and there's no money in it? Dunno. Thank you! xx

QuietDrew

QuietDrew

That's so interesting. I wish I had known years ago that they were using it for depression and energy issues, and it's awesome that it's helping with your ADD. Kind of wondering why my shrinks have been pro-stimulant yet never mentioned this. Maybe it's b/c it's generic and there's no money in it? Dunno. Thank you! xx
Provigil is very pricey.

2Much2Feel

Provigil is very pricey.
Oh, so they still market it as such. OK. I thought it had gone generic given the time that has passed. But I believe it, of course. xx

Pedr

Pedr

I've extensive experience with Provigil and Nuvigil for Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD).

Firstly it was amazing. I was going for runs before work (with a stroller!), working hard all day - laser-focused, it was amazing. But slowly, as with all meds for me (I am extremely TR), it lost its efficacy.

Nowadays (many years later), I take it for breakthrough "I am totally non-functional today" depression and it seems to help, but nowhere near as effectively as when I first took it.

HTH, Pete

PS remember,
---
***As always, YMMV. Also, I am not a medical professional - just a very experienced sufferer.***

2Much2Feel

I've extensive experience with Provigil and Nuvigil for Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD).

Firstly it was amazing. I was going for runs before work (with a stroller!), working hard all day - laser-focused, it was amazing. But slowly, as with all meds for me (I am extremely TR), it lost its efficacy.

Nowadays (many years later), I take it for breakthrough "I am totally non-functional today" depression and it seems to help, but nowhere near as effectively as when I first took it.

HTH, Pete

PS remember,
---
***As always, YMMV. Also, I am not a medical professional - just a very experienced sufferer.***
OK, good to know. Thank you. Damnit. I seem to have this same reaction to meds. xx

Pedr

Pedr

OK, good to know. Thank you. Damnit. I seem to have this same reaction to meds. xx
Well, just give it a shot - we're all different and you never know - it could work out great for you. Good luck!

V

vijaylokhande

I've one year experience modafinil for depression. I have suffered for years from depression and have never experienced relief from major anti-depressants. Within 3 days I took Provigil and day 3, a little hyper, but after that day I felt RIGHT I was on my couch for 6 straight months sleeping and crying until I started this medication. It literally saved my life.