• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone have any experience with propranolol

E

Eminem 12345

I
have ocd and GAD from childhood trauma being in the care system and relatives dying ect I am 20 yrs old and for the past 3 years I have been on meds I started showing symptoms around 8 yrs old just the typical symptoms such as door checking hand washing ect then in my teen yrs it became more pure o like hocd pocd stuff alsoI was terrified of being possessed and of course my ocd jumped on that and decided it would be funny to send intrusive thoughts into my head by saying I wish I was possessed and I summon satan which would lead to compulsions like praying and recording myself saying I didn't summon satan ect it took up most of my day and it was hell I became irritable and even aggressive I was prescribed fluoxetine and after 4 weeks I said u know what I do wish it was possessed as like an exposure therapy thing and it worked I lost my fear I stopped worrying because guess what I never got possessed lol but then still having ocd Traits I decided to look up the medication and found out most people were on 60 mg and I was on 20 so I convinced myself I needed to be on a higher dose and played around with my meds caused a chemical imbalance came off the meds and anxiety and ocd came back went back on fluoxetine it never worked so went on sertraline it worked alot and I've been on it for 2 yrs 100mg but I increased gradually with the Dr's permissions rather than being impulsive and doing it myself anyway the last few weeks I have been rumanating and constant checking the time and phone percentage and obsessing on random things I went to docs he gave me propranolol for physical symptoms I used to get rapid heart beat and sweating but not anymore but I get tense feeling on edge and jaw clenching and the doc says it would help with that and I've been on it 3 days now one in the morning and night my jaw is loose I'm less stressed and it's having a possitve effect on my mental health if I have intrusive thought or urge to ruminate my body doesn't get anxious so I can let thoughts go and it doesn't bother me as much because I'm not psychically reacting has anyone else had an experience with propranolol

H

Hiraeth

Yes. I have been on propranolol for several years now. I am really sensitive to medications in general but this has only had positive effects for me. ( 4 years now I believe) I love it. It really cuts down my severe anxiety/panic symptoms. A lot of performers use it for stage fright. It helped me get off an avtian dependence. It mostly helps with physical symptoms. He put me on a short lasting version ( that didn't work in the long run) and then I got put on a long-lasting one. I think it is one of the best medications out there for anxious people.

K

Keesha

That’s great news that you have found something that works for you. Congratulations 🥰

I used to have propranolol during my school exams when my OCD and anxiety were bad, it really helped me :) It would mostly help my physical symptoms like heart rate and sweating, it really changed my life because I felt so much better. I gradually stopped needing it and I would definitely recommend