• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Anyone have any experience with a private CBT provider (don't want to be ripped off!)

S

sushi

Anyone have any experience with a private CBT provider (don't want to be ripped off!)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have long standing mental ill health issues, however to cut a long self-absorbed story short, I wonder if anyone here can recommend a good private CBT service in Birmingham. I work full time and although I am registered with a doctor it is very difficult, in fact impossible, to go to private NHS appointments. I was involved with an out patient service prior to working full time but the appointments are now at times I can't do. Anyway, I worry that some of these private services are not actually of any use and are just sort of making money out of people with mental ill health, so I thought the best way to go about this would be through a recommendation! So, if someone could please make a recommendation, I'd be most grateful. My issues are eating disorder/self harm, paranoia, occasional intrusive thoughts, perfectionism.

Thank you again.

R

Rose19602

Hi Sushi,
:welcome: to the forum.
We have members here from your area of the UK who may or may not wish to recommend therapists, so wait and see what responses you get perhaps.

I've done both NHS and private therapy, and found the latter far better in that I could dictate what I wanted and for how long (within reason), rather than having to deal with what the NHS were willing to pay for...which wasn't a great deal!

You have a considerable amount to deal with on your list, and some of the issues may be more effectively dealt with by the NHS....not sure!

Eating disorders and paranoia for example are tricky. If the ED is at serious/dangerous levels and you require inpatient services the NHS may be better for you. If not, and I assume you've considered this, you may be luckier.

I had some paranoia and my therapist told me that it is often resistant to therapy. This is a fairly common view....so look carefully for a therapist who is willing to try to help you with this. It is often seen as part of a more serious disorder e.g. SMI or anxiety disorder, so again, be prepared for an analysis of your diagnosis as again, SMI (bipolar, schizophrenia etc.) is often seen as therapy resistant. Be clear about where the paranoia comes from if you know and be prepared for questions surrounding your diagnosis.

I used the BACP website to find a private therapist. I knew I didn't want CBT - having tried it on the NHS - and went for a therapist who was prepared to use a variety of techniques as appropriate.

It's worth looking up a few of the techniques: Transactional analysis / Dialectic Behavioural Therapy / Psychotherapy / Cognitive behavioural therapy - to name a few - to see if any hit the mark with you and your issues.

Not all therapists practice all types of therapy and some will have better experience of say, eating disorder than OCD type behaviours. So any recommendations you receive might be best tempered with that knowledge.

My apologies if this is info you don't need....but I thought it was worth mentioning in case!

Please feel free to ignore....and :welcome: to the forum in the meantime.
x

pepecat

pepecat

Hi

I'm in the west mids area, and while I don't know any decent private CBT therapists (I didn't want CBT), I would echo what miss kitty said about using the BACP website BACP - British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy to find a therapist. At least then you know that the therapist is accredited by a professional body and has a code of ethics that they follow.
There is also the UKCP (UK Council for Pyschotherapy) and WMIP (West MIdlands Institute of Pyschotherapy), though they tend to deal more with psychotherapy / counselling than CBT.

This place https://www.babcp.com/Default.aspx The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies might be more what you're after - there's a 'find a therapist' bit under 'public', but I don't know anything about them as an accrediting body and how reputable they are.

S

sushi

Thank you both for your replies, it is really much appreciated.

To be truthful I'm not sure what the best course of action would be for me, I'm not a psychiatrist and CBT only comes to mind because I looked at it and it seemed a good idea. I do need to do something though. The ED is not at serious level - indeed experience tells me Doctors only really take it seriously if it is - but that's another issue.

I'll look up these different options Miss Kitty - thank you. I don't expect everything to be 'cured' but it would be a relief to deal with the need to have to go to the gym everyday (I have a thing about earning and rewards. Sometimes it is exhausting - I am a full time professional and sometimes tending to the needs of all these things can be draining), and also my anger management. I suppose the biggest thing is my obsession with control.

I'm off to look at the different options now. Thank you both for replying!

pepecat

pepecat

If you're not sure that CBT is what you're after, it's definitely worth doing some research into the different types of therapy - there are a LOT of different 'flavours' of therapy: counselling / CBT / jungian / person-centered / psychodynamic / psychoanalytic.... loads of them.
People get on better with different sorts, so it's definitely worth having a look and seeing if you think one may suit you better.