Anyone have a song they cannot listen to due to trauma?

• Thread starter midnightphoenix
  • Start date
midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

idk if I'm the only one with a song that I can never listen to ever again. Ever. :cry:

this one is the one i can never listen to again (yes years later i have tried)

:cry:

J

Jayxobeexo

Yes, there are a few. :sorry: It has been almost 2 years for me and certain ones still bring me right back. I get the same way with smells as well.

Fatal_Wisher

Fatal_Wisher

I was in a life threatening car accident. The song I was listening to when it happened...I can’t hear it without having some kind of emotional breakdown along with painful memories.

GHOST bc - Elizabeth
It was one of my favorite songs to at that.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Not exactly a trauma but the first song I heard on the radio after my dad died in 1978. Still makes me want to cry when I hear it

PurpleDaffodils

PurpleDaffodils

I was in an abusive relationship and I can't listen to a particular band because it was my ex's favorite. Before a particularly traumatizing event he sang his favorite song (he was a musician) and it stuck with me. I have to be super careful listening to mixes on spotify or certain radio stations because I will have a full breakdown with hyperventilation, panic attacks and flashbacks.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

There are several songs, which used to be favorites that I can't listen to anymore because something in the lyrics reminds me of past traumatic events. The same thing happens with movies or TV shows -- it's usually in the dialogue rather than in images or action. I used to be fairly open-minded to all kinds of content and able to watch and listen to just about anything. Now due to the CPTSD, I can never guarantee that I can make it through a movie or a song without being seriously triggered.

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
mine isn't really trauma either, but when I was 16 I had this guy that would sing and play the guitar to me, turns out all he wanted was sex and would use alcohol to force me into it

three days grace- never too late used to be one of my fave songs until the memories he left got attached to it

T

Trekster33

Yeah a few due to my complex PTSD. Seinfeld or Fraser theme tunes, certain song by robin thicke and Pharrell Williams, a certain hot chocolate song because of an advert associated with it, but I'm less triggered by 'blue monday' or songs by new order because they weren't directly associated by my ex.

I try and play better songs in my head to drown them out, I tell the songs where to go (words I can't repeat on here).