Anyone get of Seroquel or Zyprexa?

A

arwilliams

I have been stuck on Zyprexa for four years because I simply don't sleep with out it anymore.

Seroquel people seem to have the same issue.

I have tried micro tapers with no success so I am convinced I will have to take something for sleep the rest of my life.

The 2 most likely candidates I haven't tried are elavil and doxepin.

I can go with minimal sleep but not zero for days which is what I end up getting coming off of Zyprexa now. There are numerous thread about this issue but I really want to be off antipsychotics do to the health risks and feel rather betrayed by the medical community

calypso

calypso

Admin
I hate having to be anti psychotics too but for me they are a necessary evil. I'm on Aripiprazole now which I think suits me very well but was on Quetiapine in the past. I just came off it and onto this drug without any problems. Mind the sleep issue is real and I am on Mirtazepine (anti depressants) which also help with sleep.

Have you discussed coming off them with your pdoc?

A

arwilliams

I am not against medication but I am against antipsychotics do to the health risks. I have been stable on just Lithium before but end up on anti psychotics during intermittent mood stabilizer changes.

> Have you discussed coming off them with your pdoc?

Yes and no. He prescribed Ambien temporarily to try to get me off of Zyprexa and it was unsuccessful.
He wants to prescribe seroquel of all drugs for my sleep problems which seems no better to me then Zyprexa. Antipsychotics have increased cardiac arrest, lipid disorders, diabetes and have black box warnings of causing early death(in elderly). I would been fine on Lithium if I simply could get off of the anti psychotics.

> I am on Mirtazepine (anti depressants) which also help with sleep

I have read threads of people's remeron prescription being cut off after a time, and really hope that doesn't happen to you. :)

Last edited:
A

arwilliams

I completely disagree is is a necessary evail. Suicides have show increased suicides since the medication started being used.

And to quote Dr. Breggin's book.

> Until the advent of neuroleptics drugs, it was observed that patients diagnosed with schizophrenia lived normal life spans, unless subkjceted to the voilent and uhealthy conditions of state mental hopsitals.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

arwilliams, I am in the same boat. I cannot stop my lithium or small dose of navane (anti psychotic) due to the insomnia that ensues when I try Dr. Breggin's method for getting off these drugs.

I feel I have lost several points off my IQ by taking these drugs continuously.

I have been advised by several people at Mad in America - Science, Psychiatry and Social Justice that I have simply been on the drugs too long to stop them. Sleep is very important and I am too old to be brave enough to go through a long insomnia spell.

The navane (anti psychotic) is only 2mg and helps my brain think I have less physical pain (I have leg problems.) so it serving a useful purpose.

Perhaps we think about the long term possible side effects too much and scare ourselves into thinking we must stop the anti psychotic at once, right away. I scare myself like this and think I must suffer whatever to be rid of all my drugs.

A

arwilliams

I have found and stil find mad in America to headliney and distracting from more authoritative sources.

Robert Whitaker is a journalist and comes across exactly like one which looses credibility in my opinion.

W

williams81

I take seroquil and it works but makes you a bit groggy. I have been on every med out there and I ended up back on it in the end. There has to be something better out there though. First time back using this forum so bare with me haha. I know the withdrawal makes you super crazy, I tried going off all meds once cause I'm tired of being a slave to the pharmaceutical companies, yeah it didn't go well lol

F

Forgetmenot

I was taking 200mg of Seroquel for around 5 years..it blunted my thoughts, made me crave food hence weight rocketed, and put me to sleep..fortunately, my sane mind which was being suppressed by the pills decided I had to get off them. Dr informed me it would have to be a gradual process..my mind told me "Just do it"..so en route back from Doctors..I bought a pill-cutter and whilst the withdrawals were bad, I got off them in 10 days..admittedly the 10th day was literally scraping a tiny piece off the tablet to help the withdrawal..didn't touch them after that. I'm on aripiprozole and have no noticeable side effects...

burt tomato

burt tomato

I tried abilify for a year and got horrendous side effects. It was horrible. But yeah if it works for you then all power to you.

J

JoseMaria

Stop it now! I was on it a day let it and thats was all. My weight never went down again as before but I lost a lot of what I had gone up. If you have insomnia for a few days, resist, it will happen