• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone for whom no meds are right?

C

CabbageMama

I have my Psychiatrist appt tomorrow (by phone) that has been moved forward from May as the MH team worker said that was too long to wait. It’s to discuss the diagnosis of Cyclothymia I got a few weeks back as I gave her more information about my past, so she thought it may possibly change as they have only been assessing me on information from this year, since I have been known to them.

Mostly I am wondering about meds. I have never responded in the ‘right’ way to any meds. Pretty much a given with the antidepressants, I think, but antihistamines don’t make any difference when I have hives, the sedating ones don’t make me sleep. I had beta blockers for anxiety, which sent it up through the roof with my heart racing etc. Lorazepam and diazepam don’t calm me down, Zolpiderm 10mg was meant to knock me out for sleep, but did absolutely nothing.

I tried Quetiapine when they started treating me in the MH service and they said it would make me drowsy and get me to sleep, but I was wired after, so couldn’t sleep hardly at all. Changed the dose to the morning and it was the same, no drowsiness or sleep. Now on Lamotrigine, Pregabalin and Brintilex, have been on them all a decent amount of time. My mood is far from stable, my anxiety and pain are still pretty bad and I am more depressed that I was when I started all this medication treatment in July!

I know they can fiddle around with drug combinations, but I’m just wondering, with my past paradoxical responses, whether they just aren’t for me? I don’t really want to be weaning off these and on to more, when I have to get through the first few weeks of them being shit, then be told it take 6-8 weeks to get the benefit, then have them increased, then adding another one in, these starting the whole process again. Might I just have a totally drug resistant body?!

The MH worker suggested it might be psychological, as I was given lots of antidepressants when I was in my teens after a trauma that wasn’t discussed, just medicated for. They sent me a bit wild, so I overdosed on tablets, ended up staying in a MH Unit for a while. It happened again a few years later, with tablets again, an admission. I think that would be pretty unusual, wouldn’t it? I have stuck to this medication regime solidly, when I haven’t felt it is helping and even when I have felt it is making things worse.

Any words of wisdom before my appt at 11.30 are very welcome. I’ve tried very hard not to get anxious about it, but I am a very tired and a slightly defeated Cabbage this evening. Want to present myself/my case well tomorrow, so I don’t end up getting railroaded again. Thanks in advance!

HLon99

HLon99

I have my Psychiatrist appt tomorrow (by phone) that has been moved forward from May as the MH team worker said that was too long to wait. It’s to discuss the diagnosis of Cyclothymia I got a few weeks back as I gave her more information about my past, so she thought it may possibly change as they have only been assessing me on information from this year, since I have been known to them.

Mostly I am wondering about meds. I have never responded in the ‘right’ way to any meds. Pretty much a given with the antidepressants, I think, but antihistamines don’t make any difference when I have hives, the sedating ones don’t make me sleep. I had beta blockers for anxiety, which sent it up through the roof with my heart racing etc. Lorazepam and diazepam don’t calm me down, Zolpiderm 10mg was meant to knock me out for sleep, but did absolutely nothing.

I tried Quetiapine when they started treating me in the MH service and they said it would make me drowsy and get me to sleep, but I was wired after, so couldn’t sleep hardly at all. Changed the dose to the morning and it was the same, no drowsiness or sleep. Now on Lamotrigine, Pregabalin and Brintilex, have been on them all a decent amount of time. My mood is far from stable, my anxiety and pain are still pretty bad and I am more depressed that I was when I started all this medication treatment in July!

I know they can fiddle around with drug combinations, but I’m just wondering, with my past paradoxical responses, whether they just aren’t for me? I don’t really want to be weaning off these and on to more, when I have to get through the first few weeks of them being shit, then be told it take 6-8 weeks to get the benefit, then have them increased, then adding another one in, these starting the whole process again. Might I just have a totally drug resistant body?!

The MH worker suggested it might be psychological, as I was given lots of antidepressants when I was in my teens after a trauma that wasn’t discussed, just medicated for. They sent me a bit wild, so I overdosed on tablets, ended up staying in a MH Unit for a while. It happened again a few years later, with tablets again, an admission. I think that would be pretty unusual, wouldn’t it? I have stuck to this medication regime solidly, when I haven’t felt it is helping and even when I have felt it is making things worse.

Any words of wisdom before my appt at 11.30 are very welcome. I’ve tried very hard not to get anxious about it, but I am a very tired and a slightly defeated Cabbage this evening. Want to present myself/my case well tomorrow, so I don’t end up getting railroaded again. Thanks in advance!
Can't really say from personal experience, since I have responded very well to Lamotrigine and my other meds. However, Lithium is the most effective long term mood stabiliser for bipolar. It tends to work well for treatment resistant cases.

C

CabbageMama

I’ve got a feeling he is going to say I don’t have bipolar OR Cyclothymi, which is why I haven’t responded to meds. 🤦‍♀️

G

Gratefultobewell

I was really depressed for a long time, 2 years, when they decided to try ECT. It really worked for me, although now I am on a lot of meds. I hope they find something that works for you.

C

CabbageMama

I have been really depressed this year, which is what they have assessed me on. It does coincide with Covid, a serious break up and them giving me all the meds, which I really don’t think have helped/have made me worse though, so not an average year. In previous years though, while I got very depressed and not ok for short periods, I was mostly alright. Exhausted and struggling a lot of the time, but managing ok. Then I had decent lengthier periods where I was feeling on top of the world fantastic, loving my life, everything was amazing. Just not sustainable ones.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Nope, sorry. I tried it a couple of times though, and the inevitable happened so I'm sticking with them now. Good luck with your appointment, don't worry about the outcome.

C

CabbageMama

Weaning off the Lamotrigine over 2 weeks, doubling the Pregabalin and Brintillex from today. Psychiatrist calling me back in 4 weeks.

Wishbone

Wishbone

And how do you feel about that? Did you ask them about the diagnosis?

C

CabbageMama

He is leaning more towards bipolar 2, with what I have told him about my history. He did listen properly about how life has mostly been for me and had got details of past hospital admissions, so that was passed on at least. He said to stay with the Cyclothymia diagnosis for now, so there is one, but will review it when he talks to me again in 4 weeks. I have been on the Lamotrigine the longest and it should have worked much better, so I think that is why he has taken that one out first. I am wondering whether doubling the other 2 is a bit of a sink or swim experiment to be honest. He says they can both be effective at stabilising mood at higher doses though. I don’t know how to feel really. Felt for the neighbours earlier when I was wailing like a banshee after the call, but now just feel a bit wrecked and resigned to seeing if anything improves or worsens. Tomorrow will be a better day. Have already promised to take the kids to and from School and have to buy food for dinner, so that will give me some structure and stop me feeling sorry for myself!

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah I certainly feel like I can see the experiment there, even from here! Hopefully things improve for you. Enjoy tomorrow.

J

JeanPierre

He is leaning more towards bipolar 2, with what I have told him about my history. He did listen properly about how life has mostly been for me and had got details of past hospital admissions, so that was passed on at least. He said to stay with the Cyclothymia diagnosis for now, so there is one, but will review it when he talks to me again in 4 weeks. I have been on the Lamotrigine the longest and it should have worked much better, so I think that is why he has taken that one out first. I am wondering whether doubling the other 2 is a bit of a sink or swim experiment to be honest. He says they can both be effective at stabilising mood at higher doses though. I don’t know how to feel really. Felt for the neighbours earlier when I was wailing like a banshee after the call, but now just feel a bit wrecked and resigned to seeing if anything improves or worsens. Tomorrow will be a better day. Have already promised to take the kids to and from School and have to buy food for dinner, so that will give me some structure and stop me feeling sorry for myself!
Are your meds and or /you doing better?
I hate for you to be suffering. You are such a great person!

C

CabbageMama

I was caught up too, but only thanks to you!

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I'm tired of taking bipolar meds. For 5 years I've tried all combinations. For some people they enjoy being a zombie but I don't. Going on 2 months of being med free.