• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone find meditation or other spiritual practices helpful?

G

Ginger Kitten

I do. I used to meditate for an hour a day. When I did, it helped not just because it stills the mind and switches on the parasympathetic nervous system (the 'relaxation response') but also because my life began to run more smoothly and it ironed out my moods during meditation and afterwards. Someone with years of experience in meditation told me this was because meditation has a 'cumulative effect', so the more you do it, the more helpful it becomes.

I would be interested if anyone else has tried meditation or anything similar to help in this way. I still meditate now, but for shorter periods, btw - it's not so very different from mindfulness, which you see everywhere now in mh services.

S

SFGuy

I do simple body scan meditation and mindfulness meditation when I'm anxious, but I don't have a regular practice. I did for a while, and when I'm lucky, the old feelings of peace come back to me quickly. I love Thich Nhat Hahn's "Peace is Every Step."

T

tiltawhirl3

I have gotten out of the habit but when I was focusing on it, it was magnificent for me.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I've been practicing Theravada Samatha/Vipassana and Metta Bhavana for around 10 years. I don't meditate as much as I used to but at least an hour a day. Sometimes I sit Shikantaza Zazen or practice Tibetan Shine.

M

MHFPokeplantz

ME, Meditation and its one of things that keep me still alive. Im so grateful I found it

In my case though its a very basic way, not the traditional guided, focusing on breathing etc, but it helps me SO MUCH

Someone with years of experience in meditation told me this was because meditation has a 'cumulative effect', so the more you do it, the more helpful it becomes.
Man IF its true then IM HAPPY, because its been almost an.year that Ive been doing, relatively short time, IF its cumulative Ill be in heaven, it d be too good to be true 😃😃

If you somehow confirm this information Id appreciate you letting me know, Id be very glad really (if Im still alive sane healthy etc) 🙌🏼🙌🏼

But thanks for the thread anyway, helped me already

G

Ginger Kitten

That's ok, MHF. I don't know what you mean by confirm. If you mean can I quote any source, then no. As I said, it was somone who had practised for over 20 years. He was a senior Buddhist. That's all I know. It just had the ring of truth, because the more you keep doing it, the easier it becomes and the more profound its effects: you are tapping into your inner wisdom and a deep well of calm. Regards, Ginger.

G

goodgollymiss

You could repeat the word love, Krishna, peace, Jesus when you are scared

G

goodgollymiss

Hugs! Thanks. I get scared probably because I put my foot in my mouth lol

G

Ginger Kitten

Thank you for your replies. The consensus seems to be that these types of practices do help with emotional regulation and activating calm and inner wisdom. Let's spread the word! Hope you all have a nice day. GK

M

Mistral

Back in the day I was really into it meditation. I learned it from one of the well known organisations which teaches meditation. I meditated regularly and even went on a few retreats. I am now of the opinion that meditation is not for everybody. I did not do some of the more extreme meditation practices which can cause dissociation and other mental health problems, but nonetheless I think that my practice of meditation had overall a negative effect on me. It made me very compliant and more likely to avoid my problems than deal with them. It also made me more introverted than I already was.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Back in the day I was really into it meditation. I learned it from one of the well known organisations which teaches meditation. I meditated regularly and even went on a few retreats. I am now of the opinion that meditation is not for everybody. I did not do some of the more extreme meditation practices which can cause dissociation and other mental health problems, but nonetheless I think that my practice of meditation had overall a negative effect on me. It made me very compliant and more likely to avoid my problems than deal with them. It also made me more introverted than I already was.
I dont know details of meditations but Ive seen a few other ppl say the same as you, and I BELIEVE it depends on how the meditation is done, and/or what type.

One of the goals of meditation is understanding that what goes in the head (thoughts etc) are a brain function/mechanism, so "SEEING" THEM rather than getting involved with them or trying to find solutions, or escape. It SHOULDNT take excessive mind effort, and thats a problem in SOME meditations

B

bipolarbutterfly

I'm in the "other practices" category. I sit quietly, read or listen to the Word(Bible). I noticed that I'm a lot "clearer" in my head and not so scattered when I do this...