• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone experienced rapid cycling?

E

emmaleemochizuki

It is so physically and mentally exhausting.

I go from no energy to too much energy to back to no energy.... Im sick of it and I really need it to settle.

I have been struggling with mixed states too and they are the most awful place to be in.

A

Aurelius

Sounds like you are going through ultra rapid or maybe ultra ultra rapid days? It is quite a long time back that I went through this, but it would persist for a few years at a time. When I was an adolescent, they simply sedated me for a few days at a time (not great). Then it was antidepressants, but thy made things far worse (well recognised these days). Then it was mood stabilisers - but it was really a combination of psychoeducation and therapy that proved most helpful. Have you been offered any of these?

S

SFGuy

Untreated, I have a daily cycle with a hypomanic peak in the early afternoon and exist in continuous mixed states. The mixed states are nasty, but mine seem to be less intense than some peoples'. They are my default mode when I'm untreated.

I have read many complaints about it, but I am lucky to say that Depakote works for me without its well-known side effects. My psych and I have added many other drugs to my regimen to address other issues (depression, ADHD, anxiety, etc.). Therapy (DBT for Bipolar) and Psychoeducation help (she recommended both), but the most important thing for me is the mood stabilizer which stopped my daily hypomanic cycle and suppresses my mixed states. It's certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

I'm glad you've found education and therapy so helpful.

LunaBloodmist

LunaBloodmist

I have experienced this too. Especially recently, due to high stress. I'm sure I stress myself out more than I need to. It is an awful thing to experience when those around you don't understand. Being told to calm down does not help.

2Much2Feel

Yeah, I never trust myself cause it changes so quickly. How do you even fill out one of the questionnaires on your psych help when it changes 5 minutes later?? It drives me crazy. Trying to get a hold on it, trying to even figure out if it's bipolar or BPD or both. It is an awful cycle.

LunaBloodmist

LunaBloodmist

Yeah, I never trust myself cause it changes so quickly. How do you even fill out one of the questionnaires on your psych help when it changes 5 minutes later?? It drives me crazy. Trying to get a hold on it, trying to even figure out if it's bipolar or BPD or both. It is an awful cycle.
It is very hard. Like you dont recognize who was making the decisions a moment or even a day ago. Meds only help so much

E

emmaleemochizuki

Mine last months but still takes a lot out of me.
Sounds like you are going through ultra rapid or maybe ultra ultra rapid days? It is quite a long time back that I went through this, but it would persist for a few years at a time. When I was an adolescent, they simply sedated me for a few days at a time (not great). Then it was antidepressants, but thy made things far worse (well recognised these days). Then it was mood stabilisers - but it was really a combination of psychoeducation and therapy that proved most helpful. Have you been offered any of these?

E

emmaleemochizuki

I am not on a mood stabiliser atm thats probably why. I have just started on a depot.

A

Aurelius

I hope this works for you. Some first generation depot antipsychotics have been found to reduce or prevent manic episodes in maintenance treatment (but for some people they have increased depressive symptoms), while some second generation depot antipsychotics have been found to reduce both manic and depressive episodes. It will be great if your depot manages to do this. I will be 'praying' that it does, you deserve to get your life back.