• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

anyone else with Paranoid Personality disorder?

Miss Janey

Miss Janey

the familar wondering of my brain is back, hmmmm this is never good, keep having really strange dreams that im going to have an episode at college and get kicked out....i hate it, i hate the way my brain whispers horrors to me and i hate it more when i start to listen :-(
got to the point where i can seperate my good brain from my bad brain but i have a feeling im in for a bit of a brain war soon, i really hope not.

just wondered of anybody else's experience and coping strategies in controlling PPD???

Janey x

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yeah I have these issues, with me I doubt people, view some people as after my money etc. I feel that I'm being duped by others, I sometimes think that their out to get me. I'm cynical at the best of times....

F

firemonkee57

My diagnosis was recently changed to it. Whilst i suffer from paranoia and social anxiety both were i believe triggered by bullying as a teenager, and i don't think i fit the diagnostic descriptors which are very disparaging and negative/unsupportive to any one unfortunate enough to be foisted with the label.

It is possible to be prone to paranoia without, in my opinion, fitting the largely derogatory/negative criteria for PPD

Miss Janey

Miss Janey

unfortunatly have been diagnosed in 2011 and i swear its been a daily battle to get my life back, everyone says its so important to trust in yourself but unfortuanlty having this makes you unable to trust yourself and what your brain and gut is feeling, i have found ways through meds and therapy of coping but its really hard, i remember when i got my diagnosis it was devestating espeacially realising that im stuck with it for life and i have had to learn how to control myself and do the oppisite of what my brain says, been the hardest thing iv ever done and sometimes even that dont work but owell lifes all about learning i guess...im proud how far iv come tho, i have never met or spoken to anyone who had the same diagnosis, i know its mostly men that get it but i never have been one to conform hehe :-D

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yep me to miss Janey. I'm a woman. Everyone's different but its commonly known that if you have one pd, you tend to have more than one...I forgot what score/test the psychologist used but she found out how many pds I have as a process of being in an MBT therapy for borderline personality disorder. I have, borderline, paranoid, avoidant and obsessive compulsive personality disorder... I score under the threshold for schizoid personality disorder, but I do know I scored zero for antisocial personality disorder.

Paranoid personality disorder and borderline personality disorder apparently go together... How who knows, why I don't know either... Lol.

I

inmashell

Hi i have borderline pd and scored highly on several of the others too.

F

Frustrated

I really hope I'm not going to offend here (or break any forum rules), but is everyone "diagnosed" with a personality disorder happy that they actually have it?

It's just that my sister tried diagnosing me (she is a consultant psychiatrist) with BPD (but mild - presumably to cover her rubbish guesswork she's trying to dress up as skill and knowledge) - and I think that maybe once someone tells you you have something you just look at what characteristics you have that agree with a diagnosis rather than necessarily having the thing - well I did anyway and judged her rubbish a short while later. Probably encouraged by my bipolar partner's imagining of sexual infidelity that's never existed anywhere but in his mind. What used to be quirks and eccentricities are now "disorders" for not complying with the "norm" of behaviour.

But actually I think from my own experience that I've certainly been through a lot more crap than most people get in a lifetime and a lot worse than most people ever experience. So why won't I be a bit different as a result? Why should I get down on myself if I react to that? If I get too hung up on what's wrong, I lose sight of what's right and good about me and send myself on a downward spiral. Does that ring true with anyone else? Certainly I've had far more good advice from here today than I've had in months of treatment from "experts" - and if we're all "mad" then perhaps we're just a little bit better for being so? Or maybe the definition of "mad" isn't very good in the first place.

K

Katss

Former member
Am interested does your sister psychiatrist medicate herself or another consultant advise her? Surely if she is a 'consultant' presumably she pretty much knows her stuff? Don't know if family are the best at non-involved diagnosing?

Poppyshakespere

dib4uk

dib4uk

I really hope I'm not going to offend here (or break any forum rules), but is everyone "diagnosed" with a personality disorder happy that they actually have it?

It's just that my sister tried diagnosing me (she is a consultant psychiatrist) with BPD (but mild - presumably to cover her rubbish guesswork she's trying to dress up as skill and knowledge) - and I think that maybe once someone tells you you have something you just look at what characteristics you have that agree with a diagnosis rather than necessarily having the thing - well I did anyway and judged her rubbish a short while later. Probably encouraged by my bipolar partner's imagining of sexual infidelity that's never existed anywhere but in his mind. What used to be quirks and eccentricities are now "disorders" for not complying with the "norm" of behaviour.

Thank you for asking... I for a one really questions if I have BPD at all. Yes I have quirks who doesn't ? Yes I've experienced abuse, but not all abused victims have mental health problems.

I find myself in a therapy programme designed for people with BPD, and for the vast majority of the time I'm careful about how I say things, for fear of upsetting them.... Before this diagnosis I knew I had issues with weight, mood, and relationships, self esteem issues and identity problems....I try and understand peoples point of view, and what they are saying, and yet I'm deemed as having BPD, when I see in society rudeness,aggression, bad manners, in society.... Yet I've got a pd ? I know there's exceptions to the rules etc, but really I do question if I have BPD.

Miss Janey

Miss Janey

i wish it was just quirkiness, i spend around four or five sessions with the phychatrist and two 2hrs sessions of interveiws and questons, senarios and beliefs....i was unstable and dangerous, i activily stalked people, hunted them down i was convince there was a plot and that my partner was in on it and that the universe was conspiring against me, it was a nightmare....i was knocked out on meds b4 long and couldnt think of much but now im alot more incontrol it is so unnerving to know all i have to do is relax my control of my brain and il be right back there again...
it was a devistating diagnosis and i worry alot what it may mean for any future careeas, my brain is a constant fight but i detest being judge on it, i am still a good person and i regard that bit of my brain as a seperate entity, its incredably hard to focus at times.
im in no way happy about the diagnosis, who would be, but it did enable me through intense therapy to seperate my brain and understand what i can do to help myself, im proud how far iv come but its a road id rarther of not bin on !!!

I

inmashell

Hi my pd is crippling at times. I was finally diagnosed in 2010 after years of chaos & that's putting it mild.
Am Jus glad there is an explanation for it in way of diagnosis. Helps me understand.

M

MomwithPD

inmashell,

I am reasonably sure my mom has Paranoid Personality disorder. I don't know how to help her. How did you find help? How can I help her?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

P

pocahantas

Hi - I have the same question (and the same problem - mom with ppd). I was wondering - for the folks that have PPD who have posted here, can you tell us what made you decide to seek/accept help? What was helpful in getting you to that point?
Thank you for sharing.

N

notsureanymore

Former member
I too feel i have PPD but for years its been called social phobia/depression/anxiety and agoraphobia,still waiting on a therpapist to diagnose me properly :unsure:

Miss Janey

Miss Janey

Hi everyone :)
eeeerrrmmm well i suppose i was so utterly not in touch with reality that my partner couldnt deal with it anymore, he is much of the focus of my PPD and he couldnt help and was wanting to leave, i went crazy one night and ended up putting myself at risk having drank alot and taken alot of cannabis to help stop the thoughts (it didnt help, it made it all worse) ...he was trying to help me and was serious about leaving, plus i ended up following his nurse home and tracking down her husband, i was so distressed by my own thoughts and brain, the world didnt make sense and i couldnt even trust myself or belive anything and wanted to die, it is utterly crippeling... so i phoned a helpline in compleate distress, all this kinda came to a head and my other half said i either got help or he would leave, the next day i went to the doctors and was immediantly reffered to the crisis team.
unfortuantly PPD is blinding and when you have it you dont realise its you who has the problem, normally it takes someone else to help you :-( It can be manageble on meds and threrapy so there is lots of hope :)
Hope this helps,
Janey x

Last edited by a moderator: