• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Anyone else with Dependent Personality Disorder or traits of it?

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Ok, so I suppose I never did make an official thread for this, but ought to since there isn't any relatively new ones. Hopefully I can get some feedback over the course of my time here.

Not really sure specifically what to ask, so I will just share a bit. I recently came across a description that rings more true for me than other descriptions or assumptions. Things like "constant anxiety" (well, not sure it's constant, but anxiety is my forefront issue-see username), "fear of failure" (um, like this should be my middle name! Lol), "always wanting someone there to help them" (yep!), need for an "emotional crutch" person (I might be confusing this with a favorite person...or maybe I have both actually, as I can see a bit of a difference between those I want and those I need), "want others to take care of their needs" (meh, maybe somewhat, but possibly not in an abnormal way), "but recognize others have needs too" (very true! I feel I'm quite empathetic, unlike a narcissist), and "can become overly submissive...easily susceptible to abuse and having self esteem lowered even further becoming even more dependent" (my biggest worry). These quote are taken from the DPD section of this article. Hollywood Personality Disorders - TV Tropes

Not really sure what else to add right now. But hopefully can get some feedback and/or meet people who can also relate to some of these things. I can also share more thoughts as I think of them.

Thanks for reading!

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

It's best to let the professionals do the diagnosing. It's so easy to be way off base in what we think we may have.

From your description it could be one of many things or nothing at all.

Usually we have traits of many different disorders but it doesn't mean we have them.

Like my PTSD,I tried self diagnosing myself with so many things and was shocked to find out what it really was.I wasn't even close.

Hugs

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

@SunnyDaze I guess it was assumed by the title that I already had the dx, but it's "traits of dependant personality disorder". I just never wanted to believe it given what I've read about it in the past and my circumstances. But like I said, these things ring true. But you are right. I mean, I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but it is true that I am pretty dependent on others for my peace of mind and self confidence. Whether or not it's extreme enough to be a full blown disorder, I don't know, but I made the thread to learn more about my diagnosis and meet others who actually do suffer this for support and to give support. :hug: