• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone else try to shun use of social media to help Anxiety?

• Thread starter Alexander Ypsilantis
  • Start date
A

Alexander Ypsilantis

When I see my Therapist I sit in a waiting room with say 10-15 other people. Nearly all of them are playing on their smart phones, except for me. I believe excess use of those electronic devices-including computers-promotes anxiety. We were not meant to be an element in an electric circuit, but to interact with other human beings and watch/hear them. Ok, I'm an older guy so I was raised without all those electronic tools-that's part of it. And I have to use my smart phone and laptop on the job, obviously. But, I truly believe when you can you need to put those devices down and INTERACT with other human beings! I think that would help a lot of folks Anxiety. My Therapist agrees. Thoughts???

E

EstherRose94

You’re probably right! We weren’t really made to be in such an insanely fast paced environment.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

The irony of posting this on an online forum (aka social media)...:LOL:

But I agree with most of what was said; there are times when those devices need to be put down. I'm not one of those people who are glued to their phones or wear headsets when crossing the street.

T

Teacake1

We’re on the brink of AI. Much as I agree with your misty eyed notion of returning to a time before the ubiquity if smartphones, it’s too late. The Zoomer generation have no concept of a world without smartphones, the internet and social media. They are largely inept at manual tasks such as fixing a leaking tap or building a wooden shed, and so humanity is going to need AI to function in the not too distant future.

Smartphones and ‘the cloud’ are the beginning of AI, harvesting the entirety of human knowledge for use by future generations. Those generations will become increasingly reliant on AI as time passes until such a time where our brains will become a biological manifestation of the cloud, and we’ll be able to ‘google’ things in our heads for instant recall. It’s not important for us to remember anything in a situation where anything can be instantly recalled from the cloud.
AI will progress from this point to become living and breathing entities capable of satisfying our every whim. From that point onwards, it’s only a matter of time until AI, with cognitive ability immeasurably superior to ours, takes over our world.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

We’re on the brink of AI. Much as I agree with your misty eyed notion of returning to a time before the ubiquity if smartphones, it’s too late. The Zoomer generation have no concept of a world without smartphones, the internet and social media. They are largely inept at manual tasks such as fixing a leaking tap or building a wooden shed, and so humanity is going to need AI to function in the not too distant future.

Smartphones and ‘the cloud’ are the beginning of AI, harvesting the entirety of human knowledge for use by future generations. Those generations will become increasingly reliant on AI as time passes until such a time where our brains will become a biological manifestation of the cloud, and we’ll be able to ‘google’ things in our heads for instant recall. It’s not important for us to remember anything in a situation where anything can be instantly recalled from the cloud.
AI will progress from this point to become living and breathing entities capable of satisfying our every whim. From that point onwards, it’s only a matter of time until AI, with cognitive ability immeasurably superior to ours, takes over our world.
LOL. Glad I won't live to see it. I have a PhD in electrical engineering and work on advanced technology everyday, but while smart phones, tablets and laptops make effective tools they aren't intended to replace the human mind. At any rate, my post was regarding excess interaction with these devices on a daily basis. Discussed it with my therapist the other day-he's also an older guy-and he says he has patients who hold up their smart phones to show him 'conversations' they're having with someone via text messages that has their stomachs all tied up in knots. There is healthy stress and then there is UNhealthy stress, and I believe EXCESS use of these devices is unhealthy and is contributing to the high numbers we see of people with anxiety problems and stress reactions.

Computers and the internet have opened up a wonderful world for us of information exchange and I appreciate that every day. But there comes a time to turn the device off and talk and interact with real people. Else we set ourselves up for breakdowns.

I no longer have family at home, but when I did we put those damn devices down and sat and spoke with each other around the dinner table. A human being needs that kind of interaction on a daily basis. It's fundamental to having a healthy mind and body.

T

Teacake1

Wow, you must be very talented..Yes! I agree wholeheartedly; On a personal level, disconnecting from tech as much as possible, for me at least, improves my life. i'm able to engage with life without being enslaved to a screen. I think loneliness plays a part in my desire to overuse social media; there's a feeling that I'm not alone, and even though I am alone in that moment, my brain doesn't think I am. It's a quick fix, but no fix at all

I

indigo6

Alexander I think its correct what you have said and theres a lot of information indicating so. I do not use FB, Twitter etc. I have seen the effects on others. My own short experience of it was when I was in a WhatApp group and ok, as small on a scale as that is I felt the need to check my phone, see whos messaging what. I realised it was adding to my anxiety state. I had a hey hang on there moment and saw how easy it is for these platforms to get their claws in. I no longer belong to that group and wont ever be in one again. Partly it may be me, as a person prone to anxiety, OCD, depression but I have seen it happen to others not in those states. I see the bigger picture and believe that SM is not just an innocent communication system.

SnowFairy00

SnowFairy00

I don't use FB, Twitter etc for this reason. I grew up before the era of mobile phones and the internet and I think it's sad that the youth of today don't know any different than being constantly glued to a screen. Life was a lot simpler and easier before social media! I have a mobile phone but I hate the whole concept of being contactable 24/7, this is why I sometimes deliberately leave my phone in another room, I hate the whole expectation that your phone should be glued to your side at all times

P

Pollypop

It horrifies me that people use their phones walking down the street.
A mother with 2 small children was so obsessed with talking on her mobile
she didn’t notice the little girl, aged about 3 follow me into the opticians.

I had to chase the woman to “hand back” her little girl who was happily chatting
to me all the way.

I didn’t get any thanks and the poor child was shouted at and dragged along
while the mother continued to use her phone

I dread to think what could have happened.

P

Purpleplum

I'm older too but I love technology and work with it heavily. I love to learn about AI too even though it will probably (in time) take over humans. I'll be gone by then anyway probably.
I do things besides technology though-- like the outdoors and other things. I'm not attached to my phone. In any type of waiting room most people are problem thinking about what their there for. Usually when I'm at the vet people are talking in the waiting to each other. Pets always help the situation.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I'm older too but I love technology and work with it heavily. I love to learn about AI too even though it will probably (in time) take over humans. I'll be gone by then anyway probably.
I do things besides technology though-- like the outdoors and other things. I'm not attached to my phone. In any type of waiting room most people are problem thinking about what their there for. Usually when I'm at the vet people are talking in the waiting to each other. Pets always help the situation.
I work on Hybrid and Electric vehicles for my occupation, PP. I love working on 'green' technology and obviously using electronic tools makes that much easier. But, when I get home I love being with my two dogs, gardening, working around my house, etc.. Two much exposure to these electronic devices is detrimental and has contributed to the high rates of anxiety/depression we have in the world. I know I need to get away from it to feel healthy. We need hobbies that get us away from smart phone and laptop screens, at the same time I concede that information exchanges-like this forum-have been made far easier due to technology. You just have to know when to turn it off!

P

Purpleplum

I work on Hybrid and Electric vehicles for my occupation, PP. I love working on 'green' technology and obviously using electronic tools makes that much easier. But, when I get home I love being with my two dogs, gardening, working around my house, etc.. Two much exposure to these electronic devices is detrimental and has contributed to the high rates of anxiety/depression we have in the world. I know I need to get away from it to feel healthy. We need hobbies that get us away from smart phone and laptop screens, at the same time I concede that information exchanges-like this forum-have been made far easier due to technology. You just have to know when to turn it off!
When I get home I play with my dog, take care of my house and watch funny shows or documentaries on TV. I tune out of the stuff I work with.

K

Keesha

Never been on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media platform. Being on a forum is as open as I get. I don’t watch or read the news either.
My husband sometimes sends me info via text like the dogs with the face masks on.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

When I see my Therapist I sit in a waiting room with say 10-15 other people. Nearly all of them are playing on their smart phones, except for me. I believe excess use of those electronic devices-including computers-promotes anxiety. We were not meant to be an element in an electric circuit, but to interact with other human beings and watch/hear them. Ok, I'm an older guy so I was raised without all those electronic tools-that's part of it. And I have to use my smart phone and laptop on the job, obviously. But, I truly believe when you can you need to put those devices down and INTERACT with other human beings! I think that would help a lot of folks Anxiety. My Therapist agrees. Thoughts???
Do you want the long response or prefer it in a meme format? :p

I think my biggest issue with it is not how frequently it is used. These days it is pretty much everything in one place. No different to getting everything all at once at a supermarket. They also grow up with it and don't know different. This thread is pretty close to, 'In my day.' lol.

My issue with it is it creates walled gardens and a false sense of actions being taken. When much of it is an empty echo chamber where little moves in the real world. With various algorithms that intentionally show you what you want to see and obscure beyond it. This entrenches those echo chambers, fosters deeper tribalism to an extreme degree. That now results in most discussion ending up at snowflakes and nazis. Or people blowing themselves up in homemade rockets to prove the earth is flat. Or killing themselves with the latest 'internet challenge.' For youtube likes... On some level stupidity has become a new kind of celebrity. It bothers me a person who eats stupid things makes more money than nurses.

It also allows sadism to run amok, unchecked by anything to the point school bullying has taken on a whole new dimension of awfulness. Amanda Todd is a prime example of that.

Social media was meant to connect people but for the most part, it connects people with their masks and the distorted pictures they paint of perfect lives to be painfully envious of.

The worst aspect which you already touched on is losing out on learning social skills. A lot of media has stunted direct interaction. Or made it easier to not take the risks involved in being uncomfortable, or being laughed at or rejected in public. Easier to hide behind a facade and talk about the blueberry muffin you ate. If you are not developing these skills you are pretty much condemning yourself to painful loneliness and awkwardness when forced into social situations. That then just reinforce how you can’t handle social situations and why you should avoid them even more. Living a half life that is just satisfactory enough to keep you inside, but painful enough it is a chronic ache of emptiness, that is prodded painfully by looking at the joyful experiences of others on social media. Even if those joyful lives are masks of their own.

The internet also feeds anxiety because of how media distorts reality to manipulate you for ad revenue, and fear sells better than positive stories and hope. Just look at what is happening with Coronavirus. Instead, force-feeding you a terrifying world of countless rapists in the bushes and other bogeymen. I am really not surprised that anxiety is so high. Especially when news itself has fully infiltrated social media, then is shared relentlessly, and conjecture based on nothing becomes a reality all of a sudden. It also is ongoing 24/7, information overload.

Facebook has also engaged in some very unethical practices. Playing with users mood. Social media also has wider ramifications when it comes to politics. As you have parties essentially buying people to spread messages. You have corporations doing the same. Often under the veneer of being genuine people.

What scares me most of all is looking at my young niece staring into the glowing screen of a tablet and having no idea what this is doing to a developing brain? I watched her watch these toy opening videos. Its all she was doing. Endless toy opening videos! All I see is people being groomed to be even more of a mindless instinctual consumer. Who needs mind control when you already have child brand imprinting and opinion being sculpted by giant think tanks. Who have weaponised Goebbels levels of psychology.

That nowhere in education are you taught to critically assess. As most of education at a critical point of development is rote memory. Maybe it gets better higher up, but I have never got there to know.

In a lot of cases, you succumb to the psychological warfare and in some ways lose authentic choice as it has been hijacked by other agendas. That is my issue with it.