Anyone else taken lamictal...?

Iamsoconfused

Iamsoconfused

I've taken lamictal before, but when I tried taking it a couple of months ago, I was extremely restless and just felt like I couldn't sit still. I felt a lot better emotionally, but my body felt pretty uncomfortable. I've had horrible reactions on just antidepressants, in the past, also.

I'm just wondering has anyone became manic or hypomanic on lamictal, and does it even count as a genuine episode? Or is it more substance related, and not a genuine episode?

The reason why I'm asking is because like a decade ago, I was only on anxiety medication and lamictal and had a really amazing time, for about a year and a half. I was extremely productive and felt better than I had ever felt before, in my life. I've never been able to feel that way again... Is that considered an episode, or maybe it was the medication?

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi there Iamsoconfused. I think whether you are manic on your own or it is drug induced, it's still a manic episode. I took lamictal for a short time and it made me think in strange ways. I'm sorry your good spell did not last. I'm sorry the second time you tried taking the lamictal it didn't have the right effect you hoped for. I did not become manic or hypomanic on lamictal but I couldn't think straight.

Iamsoconfused

Iamsoconfused

Hi there Iamsoconfused. I think whether you are manic on your own or it is drug induced, it's still a manic episode. I took lamictal for a short time and it made me think in strange ways. I'm sorry your good spell did not last. I'm sorry the second time you tried taking the lamictal it didn't have the right effect you hoped for. I did not become manic or hypomanic on lamictal but I couldn't think straight.
Hi poopydoll, I was thinking the same thing. But some people I've tried discussing my reaction to the lamictal would tell me that it was the chemical that was making me act that way, and it wasn't really bipolar. The thing is the same medication didn't keep me from sinking into a very deep depression.

Do you think that bipolar disorder medication needs to be changed, or increased/decreased as episodes occur?

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Iamsoconfused, I'm thinking that a bipolar medication should work to the degree that you don't have to be bothering with it all the time. There should be no need for tinkering with the dosage if you are on the right bipolar medication. You might have a few episodes or bad spells but they should be much less severe and much less prolonged and not something you have to control or modify. It should be smooth sailing mostly. My Uncle and cousin both had bipolar and took lithium for decades with no need to change anything. It was 600 mg of lithium carbonate and no fussing.

If you ended up in depression, it's obviously not working right. How many medications have you tried ??

There's a kind of lithium you can buy without a prescription. It's lithium orotate. It takes about ten days to kick in. You only need like 20 or 30 mg and it has less side effects than lithium carbonate which is what the psyche meds are.

Iamsoconfused

Iamsoconfused

Iamsoconfused, I'm thinking that a bipolar medication should work to the degree that you don't have to be bothering with it all the time. There should be no need for tinkering with the dosage if you are on the right bipolar medication. You might have a few episodes or bad spells but they should be much less severe and much less prolonged and not something you have to control or modify. It should be smooth sailing mostly. My Uncle and cousin both had bipolar and took lithium for decades with no need to change anything. It was 600 mg of lithium carbonate and no fussing.

If you ended up in depression, it's obviously not working right. How many medications have you tried ??

There's a kind of lithium you can buy without a prescription. It's lithium orotate. It takes about ten days to kick in. You only need like 20 or 30 mg and it has less side effects than lithium carbonate which is what the psyche meds are.
That's so interesting, I didn't know they had over the counter lithium, wow. It sounds like it's worth a try. I agree, I think the right combo should work and not need constant adjusting.

The psychiatrist I saw for several years would change my meds pretty often, so I am guessing she felt like something needed to be changed. I just remember being really numb and having to self medicate with other things just to deal with side effects.

I tried mostly all of the ssri's and ended up taking celexa and lexapro for a long time. I tried anti-seizure meds, and the most helpful one was carbamazepine. At some point she put me on lamictal instead. Unfortunately, I recently tried the XR version and was extremely depressed on it. (I'm not sure if the XR and regular kind is very different..)

I was also on seroquel for years and then also abilify, a low dose. I also would take a bit of xanax when I needed it. I was on a cocktail of meds for several years, and was pretty stable but very numb.

Once I got off the seroquel and the antidepressant medications, I went into a very intense manic episode which lasted for about a year and a half. I really loved it but really regret the way I acted :( I really made a lot of mistakes.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Wow, your life sounds like my life; an endless merry go round of drugs. This can't be right. This can't be the way to "treat" people.

G

gypsiqueen

The thing is wth meds, they can work really well for a long time and then "wear off." It took me years of trials before i found a combo that worked. I've been on lamictal for almost 20 years and have had no problems. But i do have the same reaction as you when I take seroquel. My doc said that it was just a side effect, and since the seroquel helped with the psychosis I stayed on it. He mentioned cogentin but I said no, so he said to take benedryl with it because it has a similar mechanism. Most of the times it works. Sometimes I take an ativan if it's bad. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Iamsoconfused

Iamsoconfused

Wow, your life sounds like my life; an endless merry go round of drugs. This can't be right. This can't be the way to "treat" people.
I agree and really hated psychiatric treatment and the mental health system for many years. I really prefer not to take any medication, and just be stronger than I am. I was against it for the longest, I really just learned to put up with the depression I get. I noticed that I got some pretty good insights too, when I just went through my dark times. I never felt like I was in any danger or anything.

I think it's just the last couple of years that have pushed me to want to take something, for my anxiety, and also just my moods being so erratic due to life's changes. It's hard to enjoy my life, I get so incredibly exhausted for weeks, not knowing why (as if I just forget, again) ... and then I just wake up one day and everything is fine again.

Iamsoconfused

Iamsoconfused

The thing is wth meds, they can work really well for a long time and then "wear off." It took me years of trials before i found a combo that worked. I've been on lamictal for almost 20 years and have had no problems. But i do have the same reaction as you when I take seroquel. My doc said that it was just a side effect, and since the seroquel helped with the psychosis I stayed on it. He mentioned cogentin but I said no, so he said to take benedryl with it because it has a similar mechanism. Most of the times it works. Sometimes I take an ativan if it's bad. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
I used to suffer from lots of paranoid thinking and psychotic symptoms. I agree seroquel really helps, it just switches it all off, the anger and everything.

I'm wondering do you take antidepressant medication? I notice I get psychotic when I'm on it.

G

gypsiqueen

Ya I do t take antidepressants because they make me manic and the don't really work. I'm on lamictal, lithium and seroquel for years. None of them make me flat, thank goodness.

megirl

megirl

I have been fortunate in regards to lamictal. None of the other anti-depressants seemed to lift my mood but thankfully lamictal did. I did take a bit of adjusting to get the right dosage to get the anxiety and agitation under control

V

violetmarisa

I just got prescribed lamitical but my insurance hasn't cleared it yet. I suffer more from the depressive episodes than the manic episodes of cyclothmia. I will be taking it wirh wellbutrin xl and I have hydroxyzine as an anxiety prn. I'm hoping this combo will help with my rapid mood swings. what is the biggest benefit you've found from latamical? how does it compare to lithium?

megirl

megirl

I was on lithium it did stabilise my mood however didnt do anything for my depression. That why they put me on lamictal. Everyone was amazed at the difference, then bloody heck pmy blood cells took a nose dive and they stopped it. My mood plummeted and i was so angry at the unfairness of it all. Bang the depression came back this reaction only affects 1 person out of 20,000 then when they start the dose slowly half of those people dont have any reaction againNope i had to be the person out of 20,000 that had the reaction again. However this finalaly settled down and yep the lamictal got rid of my depression

R

Radiohead1

I am on lamictol and have recently experienced severe depression. I haven't really thought about a way out this depression but this thread has opened my eyes and I will probably talk to my therapist and clinical psychologist about this development.