• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

anyone else on vortioxetine / brintellix?

L

LUCKYMOLLY

I just started this drug yesterday but i am also tapering off venlafaxine at the same time.

My boyfriend and i broke up 2 months ago and 4 weeks in i had a nervous breakdown and ended up in hospital.

I just wanted to know what other people's experiences were like with vortioxetine / brintellix. I have read that some of the effects can start a little sooner than other antidepressants.

It was my choice to not have contact with my boyfriend and so i have had no contact with him for 4 weeks now. I feel just as nervous and depressed as ever - it is only the promazine that has stopped me from feeling as bad as i did before i went into hospital.

I feel sorry for my poor brain being swapped and changed to different drugs and varying dosages.

Many thanks in advance.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Luckymolly. Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry you and your boyfriend broke up. I can understand why that resulted in a time in hospital. You have to be gentle on yourself. A break up is like a bereavement and you need time to grief for what has been lost.

I take vortioxetine. I find it takes the edge of my depression but it makes my skin itchy. I have to take two antihistamines to control the itchy feeling. I really hope it is effective for you.

L

LUCKYMOLLY

Hi BPD2020, thank you for your reply. I have asked for no contact while I get better. He's still paying for my mortgage and bills and checks in on me by texting my friend. I'm trying my best to be strong and do the healthiest thing for me, then who knows what will happen. But in the mean time I'm having the effects of coming off venlafaxine and waiting, yet again, in the hope that the new medication will help. It's so tough... can I ask, can you remember how long it took to see some improvements?

B

Bluehour

I've been taking it for a few years, now, and have had not side effects from taking it, or at least any I can see. I experienced pretty immediate positive effects from the drug; for one, it allowed my mind to quiet at night so I could fall to sleep slightly more easily than I used to be able to, which was a godsend. That said, I can definitely say it feels like one of the milder drugs I've been prescribed. It's not going to be like flipping a switch one day and you'll notice. It kind of eases you into its benefits.

The biggest problem? At least for me it's when I wanted to stop taking it. I've tried both tapering and cold turkey, and the withdrawals are pretty bad regardless. I get terrible insomnia when I miss a day or two of it, and longer term you can sometimes get some flu-like symptoms like extreme fatigue, body aches, and nauseu when your body it craving it.

To be honest, at this point I'm simply taking it to avoid the withdrawal effects. It worked good for me for quite some time but then I kind of plateaued. I wanted something with a bit stronger effect. But I've been unable to drop it.

I will say I found it a much better drug than Lexapro, which became untolerable for me.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I cannot remember when I felt is started to take effect. I know we are all different.