• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone else have this.

T

thrill

Over the last 20 years to the present all the psychiatrists I've ever seen have only talked about me, we never talk about them, I don't know a thing about them other thasn they are male or female and their names?

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
what are you expecting? are they not their to assess your mental health not chat about their personal lives?

L

lostminty

I think if you're getting them to talk about themselves, you're likely becoming fairly well. Your interest in their lives suggests your sense of the outside world is expanding. It's a good thing you're asking yourself this. I don't think there is a reason beyond what Helena1 suggests (although she made a typo)

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I find the conversation never goes in that direction. I once asked a p-doc about himself, but he didn't want to give information.

Truthfully the last few times I felt exposed and vulnerable because it does mean opening up - and I didn't really want to do that.

SarahD

SarahD

I know quite a bit about my psych. Not that I have asked anything about her life, but she has mentioned things about her home and family. Not exactly as if she is talking about herself, more just when it is relevant to something she is saying.

I think it depends on their personality and their way of interacting with their patients. Some are more formal. Some are up their a--e.

T

thrill

I think it depends on their personality and their way of interacting with their patients. Some are more formal. Some are up their a--e.
I have had many pdocs and it's always the same, not just the pdocs but all of the people in the system through psych clinics and hospitals.

TBH It does'nt bother me, it's just a general observation and it usually comes along when I start to get paranoid and suspicious of the system and personnel.