• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anyone else have mood swings and unstable identity?

I

it2ly

I discovered that ADHD people can have mood swings. I have been diagnosed with Adhd, as well as Autism, social anxiety. But want to see if my experience can relate to others. I am not asking for a diagnosis of any other disorder.

My mood swings change within the day. I go from extremely happy, optimistic and impulsive, am extremely positive and I get hyper enough to spend a lot of money and then at some point it just completely changes to be extremely upset, irritable, pessimistic and overly cautious. I can stay awake for 22 hours without getting tired too. I also don't really understand who I am and it seems to change as well, I get too open with people, then suddenly I'm too closed off, then when I have opinions I can be very opinionated on something only to hate it and disagree with everything I just said a moment later.

Sometimes I have the strong to urge to socialize with everyone, and I idealize people and go on discord and befriend multiple people and then I panic and never speak to them again and then isolate myself. Sometimes I open up so much to someone I've just met that I obsess over them and want to be them and I tell them my entire backstory but then once thats done I leave them on read for ages because Idk what else to do. I tend to panic when people leave me on read or if they ignore me irl to the point where I can get very hostile and vengeful but as soon as they are nice to me and talk to me, all the vengefulness is gone and I idealize them again and see the best in them. I seem to see the good in people too much or see the bad in people too much and theres no in-between. Can anyone else relate to this experience or would this be more of an anxiety thing. Again I'm really sorry if this comes off as a asking for a diagnosis question, I just want to see if other people share the same experience as me.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@it2ly We are all very different. Underneath a diagnosis is a person who is different to every other person.

It is good to figure out our strengths and weaknesses so we can make improvements to ourselves and our lives, so we will feel happier.

Sea_Green

Sea_Green

I don't get the really strong feelings about people so much but I can definitely identify with the mood swings and suddenly making friends then panicing and not talking to them anymore! I'm autistic too and currently waiting for an ADHD assessment. I've been told anxiety and depression is the cause of my mood problems. I don't think they stay the same long enough for that but what do I know? Sorry that's not much help since I don't actually know if I have ADHD or not yet.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

The over-sharing and making friends really quickly and idealising is a big thing with me, but it doesn't happen very often, and it's not caused by ADHD, it's caused by my BPD, and the people I do that to / with are what the BPD community call Favourite People.

I

it2ly

@stevie_sloth Oh right. Well I was questioning possibly having BPD. Do you now if theres any other disorder/disability/mental health problem that does the making oversharing and friends quickly and idealising thing too or is it only BPD? I was thinking it might be linked with my anxiety or need to be around positive people and wanting to be like them but idk

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

@it2ly Hmm...quite a few things can cause that. BPD as I said, ADHD (rejection sensitivity dysphoria is a thing), being on the Autism Spectrum, anxiety and in particular social anxiety...yeah, mainly those.

Technically, NPD can cause this too, but in your case, I don't think that one's applicable.

I

it2ly

Oh I see tysm. Also is there any other disorder/disability/mental health problem other than Bpd that experiences identity issues, like not knowing one self and the identity changes a lot to the point of making multiple accounts to talk to someone, I might just rule this under anxiety though. But when I google help for identity problems , It only comes up with BPD, and I don't to say I have BPD when I havn't been diagnosed with it. Also abandonment issues too any other disorders?