Anyone else have frequent bad dreams/nightmares?

Screechout

Screechout

For the longest time I've always had bad dreams/nightmares that seem to increase in times of stress, is this something that could be related to bpd? I remember someone saying that it could be but I'm not 100% certain, just wanted to hear if others experience this? I also always remember every detail vividly when I wake up.

It's currently 2am where I am and I don't want to sleep because of it

H

Hail

Sorry you feel that way.
Had any trauma recently? That can cause nightmares among other things like side effect from a medication, stress etc..

H

Hail

Do you take anti anxiety medication? It helps you sleep and maybe lowers the stress so you can sleep well without nightmares

E

EstherRose94

I have very vivid dreams and sometimes lucid dreams but they’re normally not scary. Can you put on some background noise and a little bit of light?

Screechout

Screechout

Do you take anti anxiety medication? It helps you sleep and maybe lowers the stress so you can sleep well without nightmares
Nope I take flueoxtine 40mg, I sometimes used to take a phenergan/promethazine for anxiety. I have been under a lot of stress but without sounding to dramatic hopefully, stress is a often occurence within my life.

I have very vivid dreams and sometimes lucid dreams but they’re normally not scary. Can you put on some background noise and a little bit of light?
I sleep with the light on occasionally, I listen to some podcasts and I fall asleep while they lay because i can't go to sleep with pure silence.

I never have good dreams, ever. Always bad dreams, they always feel so real and it's horrible it's not a type of nightmare that wouldn't happen in reality (monsters etc) it's always something that could realistically happen, often with people I know in real life.

H

Hail

Tryed meditation for stress relief? You can find it on YouTube.
Read Freud's dream interpretation about nightmares?

megirl

megirl

I have had nightmares my whole life. I have had extended periods with none if I have happy dreams I dont know as I've never remembered any.
Triggers of any description I get them
Havnt had nightmares involving my mother for over a year. A friend mentioned the mother word on mother's day, horrible nightmare about her abuse that night.
I think my nightmares are part of my BPD that abandonment, and abuse issues

O

OCDguy

Whenever I have had bad dreams, I generally take control of them/turn them around, and those I haven't I just dismiss when I wake up...

megirl

megirl

My nightmares are something I have no control over they are a direct result of trauma

O

OCDguy

They are still your dreams, believe it or not, you do have control of them and you can do whatever you like in them ;)

megirl

megirl

Sorry no I disagree x
I only have to barely think about something and it may trigger a nightmare and they can be terrifying

B

Bunny7

Yes, all the time - and I can remember them when I wake up. Like you, they are true to life involving people I know etc. I sometimes get real life and dreams mixed up because the dreams are so vivid it’s hard to tell the difference.

G

Girl interupted

I’m glad to see you post Rossci. I had been wondering how you were doing.

Prozac won’t cause nightmares, but Esther is right, some medications do.

I think your nightmares are just remnants of your recent stress that will eventually fade. Look into getting a white noise machine, it’s better for sleep hygiene than people talking.

O

OCDguy

As a child I used to purposely night day dream (if that makes sense) the bad dreams before going to sleep for real, and re-invent them. Perhaps doing that embedded the new re-invented nightmare into my sub-conscious, and during my real dreams over a period of time the new re-invented dream would take over and I was able to control them at my will from that point onwards...

E

EstherRose94

OCDguy’s idea of reframing the dreams might help.

I also take these immunity + melatonin tablets at bedtime now and I’m sleeping a lot better.

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

i dont get nightmares much, but ive always been able to lucid dream, even as a kid, thought it was normal

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

sadly yes it feels like my dreams last so long it is always the same dreams i wake up soaking of sweat exhausted really is not nice

O

OCDguy

See for me dreams are the one thing that really can be gripped by the horns. You really can be in full control of them, and re-write them accordingly. As a child I used to look forward to dream time, I could be my own super hero :p

L

Lunar Lady

i dont get nightmares much, but ive always been able to lucid dream, even as a kid, thought it was normal
Me too.

I tend to forget them though, within half an hour of waking.

Screechout

Screechout

I’m glad to see you post Rossci. I had been wondering how you were doing.

Prozac won’t cause nightmares, but Esther is right, some medications do.

I think your nightmares are just remnants of your recent stress that will eventually fade. Look into getting a white noise machine, it’s better for sleep hygiene than people talking.
Hello hope you are doing well yourself, I might invest in a white noise machine because I can not for the life of me sleep in silence, I guess that could be it but I do have frequent bad dreams occur without stressful situations, hoping it dies down soon.

Yes, all the time - and I can remember them when I wake up. Like you, they are true to life involving people I know etc. I sometimes get real life and dreams mixed up because the dreams are so vivid it’s hard to tell the difference.
I get that often as well, it's horrible and confusing when this happens.