Anyone else have frequent bad dreams/nightmares?

Screechout

Screechout

For the longest time I've always had bad dreams/nightmares that seem to increase in times of stress, is this something that could be related to bpd? I remember someone saying that it could be but I'm not 100% certain, just wanted to hear if others experience this? I also always remember every detail vividly when I wake up.

It's currently 2am where I am and I don't want to sleep because of it

H

Hail

Sorry you feel that way.
Had any trauma recently? That can cause nightmares among other things like side effect from a medication, stress etc..

H

Hail

Do you take anti anxiety medication? It helps you sleep and maybe lowers the stress so you can sleep well without nightmares

E

EstherRose94

I have very vivid dreams and sometimes lucid dreams but they’re normally not scary. Can you put on some background noise and a little bit of light?

Screechout

Screechout

Do you take anti anxiety medication? It helps you sleep and maybe lowers the stress so you can sleep well without nightmares
Nope I take flueoxtine 40mg, I sometimes used to take a phenergan/promethazine for anxiety. I have been under a lot of stress but without sounding to dramatic hopefully, stress is a often occurence within my life.

I have very vivid dreams and sometimes lucid dreams but they’re normally not scary. Can you put on some background noise and a little bit of light?
I sleep with the light on occasionally, I listen to some podcasts and I fall asleep while they lay because i can't go to sleep with pure silence.

I never have good dreams, ever. Always bad dreams, they always feel so real and it's horrible it's not a type of nightmare that wouldn't happen in reality (monsters etc) it's always something that could realistically happen, often with people I know in real life.

H

Hail

Tryed meditation for stress relief? You can find it on YouTube.
Read Freud's dream interpretation about nightmares?

megirl

megirl

I have had nightmares my whole life. I have had extended periods with none if I have happy dreams I dont know as I've never remembered any.
Triggers of any description I get them
Havnt had nightmares involving my mother for over a year. A friend mentioned the mother word on mother's day, horrible nightmare about her abuse that night.
I think my nightmares are part of my BPD that abandonment, and abuse issues

OCDguy

OCDguy

Whenever I have had bad dreams, I generally take control of them/turn them around, and those I haven't I just dismiss when I wake up...

megirl

megirl

My nightmares are something I have no control over they are a direct result of trauma

OCDguy

OCDguy

They are still your dreams, believe it or not, you do have control of them and you can do whatever you like in them ;)

megirl

megirl

Sorry no I disagree x
I only have to barely think about something and it may trigger a nightmare and they can be terrifying

B

Bunny7

Yes, all the time - and I can remember them when I wake up. Like you, they are true to life involving people I know etc. I sometimes get real life and dreams mixed up because the dreams are so vivid it’s hard to tell the difference.

G

Girl interupted

I’m glad to see you post Rossci. I had been wondering how you were doing.

Prozac won’t cause nightmares, but Esther is right, some medications do.

I think your nightmares are just remnants of your recent stress that will eventually fade. Look into getting a white noise machine, it’s better for sleep hygiene than people talking.

OCDguy

OCDguy

As a child I used to purposely night day dream (if that makes sense) the bad dreams before going to sleep for real, and re-invent them. Perhaps doing that embedded the new re-invented nightmare into my sub-conscious, and during my real dreams over a period of time the new re-invented dream would take over and I was able to control them at my will from that point onwards...

E

EstherRose94

OCDguy’s idea of reframing the dreams might help.

I also take these immunity + melatonin tablets at bedtime now and I’m sleeping a lot better.

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i dont get nightmares much, but ive always been able to lucid dream, even as a kid, thought it was normal

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

sadly yes it feels like my dreams last so long it is always the same dreams i wake up soaking of sweat exhausted really is not nice

OCDguy

OCDguy

See for me dreams are the one thing that really can be gripped by the horns. You really can be in full control of them, and re-write them accordingly. As a child I used to look forward to dream time, I could be my own super hero :p

L

Lunar Lady

i dont get nightmares much, but ive always been able to lucid dream, even as a kid, thought it was normal
Me too.

I tend to forget them though, within half an hour of waking.

Screechout

Screechout

I’m glad to see you post Rossci. I had been wondering how you were doing.

Prozac won’t cause nightmares, but Esther is right, some medications do.

I think your nightmares are just remnants of your recent stress that will eventually fade. Look into getting a white noise machine, it’s better for sleep hygiene than people talking.
Hello hope you are doing well yourself, I might invest in a white noise machine because I can not for the life of me sleep in silence, I guess that could be it but I do have frequent bad dreams occur without stressful situations, hoping it dies down soon.

Yes, all the time - and I can remember them when I wake up. Like you, they are true to life involving people I know etc. I sometimes get real life and dreams mixed up because the dreams are so vivid it’s hard to tell the difference.
I get that often as well, it's horrible and confusing when this happens.