• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone else get this?

LexiDoll

LexiDoll

Does anyone else get irrationally worried at something even though you've been reassured multiple times that things will be okay?

Earlier, I had an anxiety attack because I was meant to go for a regular trim at my hairdressers, but my OH was with me so he decided to have a look around the shops. I realised I wouldn't be able to message him to find out where he was because my battery on my phone was critically low. I ended up freaking out and thinking "What if he leaves me or I can't find him and can't get home?" The stupid thing is, I would have been able to get home, sure it would have taken time but I still would have been capable.

At the time I was absolutely terrified, but looking back I feel so stupid, ridiculous and embarrassed. I feel like an idiot. :low:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
I definitely relate to what you're saying. :hug1:

You mustn't feel stupid, ridiculous or embarassed though.
The thing is, anxiety is irrational and can make you automatically assume the worst.
I suppose if what you were worried about was rational, it wouldn't be considered anxiety at all. The whole point is that it's not always based on reality - so don't be too hard on yourself.

To be honest, i'd have been anxious too if I needed to contact someone and my phone was nearly out of battery, so what you felt wasn't silly at all.

You know you said you would have been able to get home anyway, did you have that thought after all of this or were you able to reassure yourself at the time that you could have got home?
I think we live and learn, and so next time anything like this happens you can draw on these experiences and hopefully reassure yourself whilst your panicking that there is a solution to whatever's going on.

A

ashesunbroken

Does anyone else get irrationally worried at something even though you've been reassured multiple times that things will be okay?

Earlier, I had an anxiety attack because I was meant to go for a regular trim at my hairdressers, but my OH was with me so he decided to have a look around the shops. I realised I wouldn't be able to message him to find out where he was because my battery on my phone was critically low. I ended up freaking out and thinking "What if he leaves me or I can't find him and can't get home?" The stupid thing is, I would have been able to get home, sure it would have taken time but I still would have been capable.

At the time I was absolutely terrified, but looking back I feel so stupid, ridiculous and embarrassed. I feel like an idiot. :low:
Anxiety itself is not rational. It makes sense that it was terrifying. You couldn't find him and your anxiety acted up. In the future, I would suggest taking a deep breath through your nose for five seconds using your stomach, and then out for five seconds through your mouth and stomach. Do this again. Overpower your anxiety, tell yourself: I will be okay. I will find a way through this. I will find a way to get home.

Anxiety isn't easy, nor does it make sense. Don't beat yourself up over irrational anxiety, instead figure out what you are going to do to help yourself the next time it happens. Are you seeing anyone about your anxiety problems?

I am really happy that you are at least talking about this here. You aren't alone.