• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone else feel like they can't trust anyone?

L

lavenderdaydream

I feel like trusting people will only get me hurt more and that makes me anxious, or even when I feel like I can trust them I'm worried I'll say or be too much and it'll ruin everything.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi lavenderdaydream!

It's definitely hard to trust people these days. You're like me! I'm always afraid I'll be or say too much and ruin everything. But isn't that more not trusting yourself than not trusting others?

I realized that my inability to be myself in social situations came from a combination of low self-esteem, high social anxiety, distrust, and a host of other things I needed to work on. I don't know the particulars of your situation, but this book helped me to trust more.

1590673145297.png

I also recommend seeking therapy. There's likely a lot of underlying issues you need to deal with in order to regain trust in your life. I had to realize how much I expected from other people. I gave them power over me by thinking they had to be exactly what I needed and if they weren't, I felt betrayed. It takes some work, but it's worth it for yourself and your relationships with other people. I highly recommend seeking therapy, whether in-person or online.

If that's not possible, read books and articles to try to help you uncover what's preventing you from living a better life. You can also role play the scenarios that bother you the most when you're alone so that you can see how'd you react and what you can change.

Good luck with trusting in the future. Stay safe!