• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Anyone else ever have this issue?

M

Matthews34

I’ll start from the beginning.
I am not diagnosed with anxiety but I have always thought I’d had it for years. My doctor didn’t seem to think that was the case.

Fast forward to the last two weeks.
I got back from a trip and a couple days after I thought to myself, wow I have been peeing a lot lately. So I swelled and dwelled on it for days thinking that I definitely have a bladder infection. So it consumed my 3 or so days. After that, I figured that I have been constipated because I was having some abdominal discomfort and strange pains. So that has been consuming me, and I think I need laxatives and all fibre and more water etc. Didn’t really help me go to the bathroom much more than before, but it did give me stomach upset and diarrhea for the last 4 days.

Which brings me to today.
I had a doctors appointment, told him all my symptoms. He didn’t seem to think I had anything to be overly concerned about, maybe some minor gut problem. He prescribed me a super heavy duty laxative to essentially clean me out completely and it worked but again not how in my mind that I thought it would. So now my stomach is upset again and I don’t know how to control it. I feel like stress and anxiety are taking over my stomach health, I have myself convinced that I have colon cancer, because I spent 6 hours googling my symptoms. Overall I just feel so down that I don’t even want to be in public.

So I guess my question is, has this ever happened to anyone else? Or am I alone in this?

albie

albie

Anxiety will exaggerate any symptom you have. Listen to your doctor

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

because I spent 6 hours googling my symptoms.
Asking "Dr Google" is the most common way to create anxiety and possibly psychogenic illness over what's usually a small problem. You might have a stomach illness but as @albie said, your anxiety over it will magnify your suffering. Try not to feed anxiety, it is ever hungry for worst case scenarios.

M

Matthews34

Yeah it’s like an addiction, googling symptoms, I just want to know what the heck is wrong with me

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Yeah it’s like an addiction, googling symptoms, I just want to know what the heck is wrong with me
I feel you. Symptoms can often be non-specific and require a differential diagnosis which is a process during which one continues to experience pain. You may restore a sense of control by addressing the anxiety which might be increasing your suffering. Self-soothing and distress tolerance techniques can be effective ways to help you evade the grip of worry.